Has anyone been shunned by a REAL sinner?

by ToesUp 13 Replies latest jw friends

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

Just curious....

Has anyone been shunned (just decided to leave the cult)?

Let me explain my situation:

A family member seems to be shunning me. He has been studying for at least 5 years. Yes...5 years.

His list of sins in the past:

Smoking, drug use, cheating on mate, children are all screwed up. The list goes on and on. I have always been supportive and kind to this family member. VERY supportive. Always there when he needed me.

Fast forward to NOW:

My immediate family has faded over the past few years. This family member has caught wind of this and now is distancing themselves from me. ME! Are you kidding! I have a great family. Married for 30 plus years to the same wonderful person, don't smoke, don't drink much and have remained faithful to my mate. Oh...I also pay my taxes (on time too). lol We are pure as snow! So...this person is shunning me? Like I always say....you can't make this sh*t up! Anyone had something similar happen to them?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I've read stories on here over the years of people who were DFed by a committee that included elders who were having affairs while serving on the committee.

• blondie
    blondie

If he is that kind of person, why would you want to be around him? I would consider it a gift that he is staying away...you can always refuse to be shunned and just greet him with a friendly greeting and a smile every time you see him.

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

It's like, the level of hypocrisy just keeps rising higher, it's unbelievable and we're more incredulous the more it slaps us in the face.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

"If he is that kind of person, why would you want to be around him? I would consider it a gift that he is staying away...you can always refuse to be shunned and just greet him with a friendly greeting and a smile every time you see him."

I agree. I won't be there for him ever again. Like the song says...you find out who your friends are. Just very sad. I guess it comes with the territory huh?

• steve2
    steve2

In JWdom, there exists a hierarchy of evil, with apostates at the bottom of the heap, far worse than unrepentant wrongdoers such as immoral persons. Commonly, "immoral" Witnesses still believe it's the truth - they may even entertain the notion of mending their bad ways, acting repentant and getting reinstated. A bit like the revolving-door syndrome. And that's just those who bother to confess - or who get caught.

But do apostates try to mend their evil ways? No. Do they accept this is the truth? No.

Unrepentant wrongdoers salve their consciences by telling themselves, "At least I'm not as bad/evil/wicked/etc as apostates". And they prove they're better than you by shunning you.

And, of course, there are few as irksome as "reformed" sinners who have no qualms about being super-righteous even though their deeds may have ruined marriages and impacted badly on their children. That's what happens when you belong to an organization that focuses on appearances and no much deeper.

• xjwsrock
    xjwsrock

This organization gives people all the excuse they need to act superior and smug. It is proof positive of it fostering a works-based "salvation".

If you do X then you are better than the person that doesn't. If you have X "privilege" than you are better than the person who doesn't have that privilege.

The mid-week service crowd at my hall ... you would think they perform miracles with how they act.

Self-righteousness is common and rarely acknowledged much less counseled. It goes all the way up to the totem pole.

• Steel
    Steel

When I was 18, I was hanging out with these guys and they told me they were going out to some farm to “fill up “ which was code for steal some gas. I didn’t want anything to do with it so I said “screw you guys, I am going home”.

Later that night they were arrested. They went on to tell the police I was the one who told them about the spot and the previous gas thieves were all me. I was questioned by the police and nothing became of it but still, what a dirtball thing to do to someone.

Fast forward years later and we are both 40 and I see him at the Kingdom Hall. I rarely attend and find out one of them is studying to be a Jehovah Witness. I go to talk to him and tells me that he isn’t supposed to talk to me.

I laughed. I was like “ dude I was only being polite, I still don’t like you so please by all means stay away from me.”.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Typical

• Chook
    Chook

Toes up,

I think this family member has issues,but I think there is some enjoyable actions on his part that can add joy to ones life, him shunning should be viewed as a blessing seriously

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit