HELP! - Asking for Baptism photos for university art/personal documentation project (they will not be published or made public)

by AGoodPigeon 12 Replies latest jw experiences

• AGoodPigeon
    AGoodPigeon

Hi! I'm new here, but I've been an ex-witness since 2015 (not disfellowshipped, faded and inactive but no longer believing) and I'm working on an art/personal project gathering the bapstism photos of many different ex-witnesses.

I am asking that anyone who feels comfortable with it send me (private message me) their photos that they or others took on the day of their baptism (before, after, or during). I will NOT post these online anywhere or publish them. They are strictly for my art/personal project. Please let me know in the message if you would like certain faces blurred out (including yours). Your name or any information about you will NOT be included in the project ( you will remain completely anonymous).

This project is for an art class I am taking at my university. The photos would not have your names or any other information about you attached. They would be shown to my class of students and my professor and never published online or distributed or shown to anyone else without your express permission. Respecting my fellow ex-witnesses is my highest priority here, so please let me know any use of your photo that would make you uncomfortable.

If you're anything like me you had family and witness friends gathered around taking photos of you before, after, and during baptism, taking selfies and group photos with you all day, etc.

Unfortunately I can't see my old baptism photos because they are kept by my mom who is still a practicing witness and asking for them from her would involve a very uncomfortable conversation.
    But I remember that day very well and who I was that day and how different I am now. Thinking about the space between now and then makes me feel an odd mixture of emotions that maybe some of you share.

By gathering many photos from many different people with very different experiences and yet this one thing in common that we share, I want to highlight the cognitive dissonance of our collective beliefs and experiences as ex-witnesses.

Again, this is only if you feel comfortable, but I would love to have your photos. Remember to PRIVATE MESSAGE ME if you are not comfortable with everyone seeing your photo. (If you are then post away).

Thank you!

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

Are you involved in any other exjw community?

You can imagine that an unknown person asking for photos on their first post here may feel a bit odd.

Otherwise, interesting project!

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

You really expect us to send you our photos ?

Identification could lead to all sorts of trouble.....you may be doing an innocent project but count me out.

• sir82
    sir82

Plenty of baptism photos in old WT & Awake magazines.

Or were you looking for our Social Security numbers too?

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

You sound legit to me, but I can understand the concern of PIMOs,myself included. Your only chance would probably be an ex-JW with nothing to lose, although your chances of finding one before this thread gets buried are probably slim. If you'd be uncomfortable asking your mom for those pics specifically, perhaps ask for ALL your photos in general? Just a thought.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

As sir 82 says there are plenty of baptism photo`s in old WT & awake magazines so do your own research .

On the other hand Welcome to this forum AGP you could learn a lot by sticking around here .

Maybe you shouldn`t be asking for such personal information on your very first post ?

We know nothing about you .

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

Is this pic good enough AGoodPigeon...

• zeb
    zeb

I have no photos but recall the "Huh!" from the crowd when a little girl apx 9 was baptized.

• AGoodPigeon
    AGoodPigeon

After seeing everyone's negative reactions to this on several forums I've approached (which is completely understandable) I've decided to take another approach to the project.

I understand the suggestion to just take photos of random people from places like Google, but as an art project I felt that the meaning would be derived from the personal nature of the people giving the photos and the bravery it took to share them and the fear they might face doing that. The fear surrounding even showcasing the photos was meant to start a poignant discussion on the very cult-like nature of the organization.

Thank you everyone for your comments, but I see now that not everyone is in a place where they are ready to come forward with their identities.

• Tameria2001
    Tameria2001

I don't have any photos of my time as a JW, other than my wedding pictures, and a couple of baby pictures. When I left the JWs, I very angry at everyone associated with that organization that I personally knew, I ended up mailing almost all my pictures to my biological mother, that had anything with her in it. That was after I got the most hateful letter from that bi*ch, I was making a huge statement, and I told her so in a not so friendly letter, and she got the message loud and clear. It was very therapeutic.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit