"well beyond the intent of the scriptures" 7:44

by biblexaminer 32 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Great quote! (Thanks Bats in the Belfry)

"A sound rule is found in the words of the apostle Paul: “Do not go beyond the things that are written.” (1 Cor. 4:6) Elders do not go beyond the things that are written in the Bible. And by extension, they do not go beyond the Bible-based counsel written in the publications of the faithful and discreet slave."

2008 The Watchtower, April15, p. 7, par. 19

So, DO NOT go beyond the bible....AND do not go beyond the GB's words? (which go beyond the bible?)

My head just exploded....

• Lieu
    Lieu
    So "by extension" everyone was going beyond the things that are written.
  • Tenacious
    Tenacious

They're still assh**es.

They're just assh**es who've now admitted to "sometimes" having gone beyond what was written.

I still smell bulls**t though.

• biblexaminer
    biblexaminer
    The picture of Tony Freakalony with the Watchtower's own caption beneath him will become the defining picture, the one that "says it all"
  • vivalavida
    vivalavida

Is 1914 part of the EARLY 1900s?

Just wondering!

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

"...well beyond the intent of the Scriptures..."

So that's where the current bunch learned to do it so well.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Labate - "Perhaps the GB has realized that discouraging marriage has resulted in fewer born-in members."

They'd have to be idiots to not have figured that out by now.

Even so, they can't admit it out loud, because that's tantamount to admitting that the End might not come any day now.

• Maryo
    Maryo
    Judge Rutherford at the Cedar Point Convention when discouraging marriage in favor of pursuing the kingdom said to the young men in the audience something like, "Why would you neglect pursuing the kingdom in favor of a bag of bones and shank of hair ?" [woman/marriage] This phrase is from Rudyard Kipling, "What is a woman anyway, but a hank of hair and a bag of bones". There is a Youtube audio of Judge Rutherford himself (I believe) actually saying this. Very interesting ... And this sentiment was mirrored in later decades. Perhaps Morris was referring especially to the Judge's time? They were way beyond the intent of the scriptures alright!
  • Alive!
    Alive!

No problem with recorded and published acceptance by a GB member that the FDS has been known to go 'beyond the intent of scripture' - in context of the organisation's observations on marriage versus singleness - even if this was more prevelant decades ago.

Women like me find ourselves beyond childbearing years and childless because of this 'beyondness' - I know many, many couples of my generation who remained childless because we were faithfully waiting for the 'new system' to have families.

Mr Morris and team - You would do well to reflect on the painful afflictions that your 'beyondness' has brought down on the lives of many.....from the past to present day.

Please stop. Please - just stop.

• pixel
    pixel
    I love how the moron says: "well beyond the intent... of the scriptures"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit