Evaluating the problem of sexual abuse of children within the JW religion, why, how and for what reason

by Finkelstein 19 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

It goes back to that thing of protecting the image of the organization in the public's eyes and to a further extent the entire body of JWS. The organization may have emulated the investigation via the bible on how to handle these situations, but it was the wrong irresponsible way as its now been realized.

There many compelling reasons why the WTS wanted to keep these matters behind closed doors.

Not all sins are equal are they ?

The Catholic religion did the same thing for the protective interests of their religoius institution.

The real difference here is that pedophilia is a serious crime in most countries were other assumed sexual immoralities are not and they need to be handled by professional investigators, not Joe blow elder in a Kingdom Hall.

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

You mention some interesting possibilities, Sabin, regarding the Watchtower's coverup of child abuse in their ranks. I agree that something is being missed. Perhaps JW child abuse is much more common within their congregations than with the general population.

• Sabin
    Sabin

Athanasius, yes I believe it is more common amongst JW's. Exclusive Membership to

JJJW.ORG

1) Jimmy Jones

2) Jimmy Savail

3) Jimmy Witnesses.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

What's made the problem institutionalized and endemic is a major internal hurdle caused by the Org painting itself into an ideological corner.

The simple fact is that their insistence on holding to their current "Bible-based" policies - come hell or high water - not only fails to fix the problem, but, in fact, steadily worsens it.

However, in "God's exclusive Earthly organization" this shouldn't happen... therefore, the claim that the WTS actually is "God's exclusive Earthly organization" is called into serious doubt.

And from their POV, that simply cannot be allowed to happen...

...because - lets face it - no matter what any current loyalist may say, being a dutiful Jehovah's Witness is not an overly pleasant experience (for a whole shit-ton of reasons).

If Jehovah's Witnesses aren't "God's exclusive Earthly organization", there is virtually zero incentive to be one.

And without a membership to support it, the Org dies.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I wouldn't presume that the JW faith has a preponderance of sexual abuse of children within the organization itself..

I was JW for over 20 years and I never heard of that happening and I lived in a large sprawling city.

What I think created a problem though is how the JW org. and its leaders tried to handle these perilous circumstances by doing so internally, supposedly adhering to the bible writings as procedural guidance.

The scenario could be played like this .......

Elder ....... So Brother Johnson, we have been approached by another member of the congregation and were

told of a situation that you inappropriately touched one their children in a sexual way. Is this correct

and true ?

Brother Johnson ........ well no I cant recollect that ever happening, someone must be confused or

telling little white lies .

Elder ....... Well I asked this person if there was any witnesses to this inappropriate behavior and they answered

no, so if that is the case we will therefore leave this matter for Jehovah to decide upon if anything did

happen. As you should know that sexual misconduct toward children is forbidden as it is written into

Scripture.

Brother Johnson ....... Yes I am aware of that.

Elder .......... So I also wanted to mentioned that a group of us is forming to go out in service

this Saturday morning from the Kingdom Hall, are you interested in joining us ?

Brother Johnson ......... Sure I can make , we can use my large passenger van it seats 6 comfortably.

Elder ........ Great, then lets conclude this meeting with a prayer and will see you Saturday morning.

Brother Johnson ....... Ok

• Stepford Wife
    Stepford Wife
    What a powerful and telling video. Nobody can deny that Jehovah is no longer blessing this organization.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

Stepford Wife - "Nobody can deny that Jehovah is no longer blessing this organization."

Assuming "Jehovah" was ever blessing it in the first place.

It's not much of a stretch to go from "they had it once but lost it" to "they probably never had it".

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The real underlining problem might very well lie as a causative effect when certain select men self identify themselves as god's chosen spiritually directed agents with his power and pertaining judgment onto all mankind.

That desirable power is very enticing and appealing to strive and assume unto themselves.

How this is done is through the wrriten word of god the bible.

You know those words written by ancient men who lived 3000 years ago.

Looks like men trying to emulate the social moral statutes of a civilization that existed 3000 years ago is problematic toward humanity living today in are modern era. ......... naaaaa

• Sabin
    Sabin

You know what you can go round & round in circles trying to work it all out, the why,wheres,& how's. The bottom line is this, the WTBTS is full of child abuse, sexually/physically/mentally/emotionally & they as an organization couldn't give a flying fuck.

Rutherford lived in luxury while all around him people were starving, did he care? NO. Did he do anything about it to help ease the situation for others? NO. He sat back on his fat arse & enjoyed all the luxuries that the donations provided him with. This lot are no different, they don't care, THEY DONT CARE. Get it.

Tell me when you ever heard any one stand on the platform & read a letter from the GB that said: Now Brothers & sisters we want you to know that the abuse of a child, any child is in no way acceptable. Jehovah hates that kind of behaviour & anyone no matter the position they hold will be thrown straight out of the congregation & reported straight away to the police, because they have acted like a complete bastard.

Never, you have Never heard that read out, WHY? cause they don't give a shit.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Sabin - "...they don't give a shit."

Oh, I'm sure they do "give a shit"... inasmuch as they wish the problem would go away and stop causing problems for them.

They're just too hung up on following their "Bible-based" rulebook and simply cannot accept that their application of it is not only not fixing the problem, but is, in fact, making it even worse (much in the way a dyed-in-the-wool creationist simply cannot accept evolution, no matter how well he's presented with evidence, or how compelling said evidence is)... it simply conflicts with their worldview too much for it to be considered.

Plus, they'd rather gargle with broken glass than be seen capitulating to their opponents (particularly us mentally-diseased apostates), especially in the media-saturated Information Age. Pride goeth before a fall, etc...

The "whys, wheres, and hows" are important, because knowing them is knowing how to fight them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit