I got a voicemail from an elder about meeting with me.

by schnell 22 Replies latest jw experiences

• schnell
    schnell

Yesterday, I missed a call and got a long voicemail from an elder who would like to meet with my wife and I some time this weekend, with another elder who dealt with my brother.

I haven't responded. It's meeting night tonight, and my wife has already talked about staying home to do yoga with me instead.

Yeah. I think she's getting it. Who knows?

I don't really have an interest in this meeting, but I can be sure that they'll come to our door Saturday morning and/or Sunday.

Here's the thing. I've already debated with this elder over the phone before. It was a nice, polite, scholarly debate. He said his part, I responded honestly, and we went back and forth. I am evolutionist and I said my piece about that. He is creationist and as I countered every point he made with science and reason, he eventually concluded, "At some point, you have to decide that there is a God."

I let him go on that because we'd gone back and forth for over an hour. That was the end of the call, more or less. But no. It's not a choice. The truth isn't different for you and me. The truth is objective and provable and DOESN'T require faith. Furthermore, we'd earlier discussed Pascal's Wager and how choosing to serve God blindly is really just choosing the reward that you're promised for doing so. (Compare the accuser's/Satan's words in Job.)

He's a nice guy. But if they get ahold of me at home and ask bluntly if I think this is the truth and want to continue, I feel as with any other sort of lie that I would do more prolonged harm than good by giving in.

PS: Jephthah killed his daughter. Get over it. https://youtu.be/NFyekTrObRc

• HereIgo
    HereIgo

I was in your boat at one time. The elders were fairly aggressive with trying to meet with me in person once they realized I was fading, fortunately I was able to dodge their attempts. But, even to this day, if they were to find me, like yourself, I wouldnt be able to hold back what I feel about the organization. I wouldnt be able to lie about it that's for sure and they won't like what i have to say. Whatever happens, happens. Good luck!

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

I personally didn't dodge them. I simply told them I believe, I believe, I believe; but I need time. Nothing more. Just time.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

Knowing these two faced POS they want to meet up with you to get enough information on you to DF you. Its up to you if you want to meet with them but you should know what you are getting into.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell
    I was in your boat at one time. The elders were fairly aggressive with trying to meet with me in person once they realized I was fading, fortunately I was able to dodge their attempts. But, even to this day, if they were to find me, like yourself, I wouldnt be able to hold back what I feel about the organization. I wouldnt be able to lie about it that's for sure and they won't like what i have to say. Whatever happens, happens. Good luck!

While my parents were still alive I did not want to stir up anything then but if they ever try to talk to me now I really don't care as I would tell them what I think of their organization.

• schnell
    schnell
    Knowing these two faced POS they want to meet up with you to get enough information on you to DF you. Its up to you if you want to meet with them but you should know what you are getting into.

"Encouragement." Yeah right.

• smiddy
    smiddy

As has been brought out here many times before the only power they have over you is what power you allow them to have.

In other words they have no power over you , they are nobodys in a cult religion who instills in them they are somebodys , its up to you to burst that bubble.

They are big fish in a little pond of their own making , they are delusional ,thinking they have authority over everyone.

• ZAPPA-ESQUE
    ZAPPA-ESQUE

I told them I was suffering ADD [ Acute Doctrinal Distress]

Then later I told them to **** - off or I would enter the hall and go amok ! [ I am a Depressive in remission - maybe they are scared]

Although totally shunned we are not DF'ed yet !

But .........go the route of peacefulness - be Gandhian in your dealings - you will feel triumphant and mentally healthier. .

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

The only words needed are these - "I have private & personal issues which I will deal with, but thank you for asking."

Firewall in place - end of! They are entitled to nothing more, and they know it.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte
    William Panwell: they want to meet up with you to get enough information on you to DF you

100% right: to them, you are a loose end. No one likes loose ends. In business talk: they just want to bring this "issue" to a resolution regardless of the impact on your life. Its about their own track record as an elder for the next CO visit.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit