I've taken up DoorDashing to make some extra cash to pay for my hobbies and other things. You are a food delivery person at the mercy of a crappy App and google which can be stressful. The plus side is tips and people who are usually happy to see you.
But it wasn't long into this gig, that I became acquainted with a certain kind of customer. I had an order at Mel's old fashioned diner for some chicken waffles etc. and the person who had ordered was a Jean-Luc. The first thing that came to mind was the captain of the starship cruiser, The Enterprise. As I drove down a dead end street at night, I saw a flashlight at the end, slowly circling around. It was a kid about 13 or so and he was on the street flagging me down. "Jean-Luc?" I asked. Yes he said and took the food off to the house. It suddenly occurred to me, that he most likely had ordered the food secretly and so had come out so his parents didn't know.
After that, I've had several more KWAC.
- Fries and a drink from Chick fil-a with a $6 charge to another 13 year old girl who met me in the apartment parking lot
- 2 sides of expensive organic mashed potatoes to a teenager outside the his house
- Expensive one drink orders (like that pearl drink) that cost $6 or more to deliver. Waiting at the door with their phone app tracking me so they know when to intercept.
There has been a few more like that. There has also been a few times where the kid has been caught.
- Wingstop order delivered to the poorer side of town and accepted by a kid in the house. When I turned around, there was a lean, shaven headed latino man staring at me. "What are you doing here?" he said suspiciously. "I'm delivering food" I said (I'm female by the way and no spring chicken) He slowly nodded his head and said "Oh I didn't know they ordered lunch" Needless to say, I left quickly.
- 2 big pizzas and some pasta delivered to a house where I had to knock a few times before a young kid opened the door. Too bad he was slow on opening because the adults were in the back barbecuing. A man said What's that? The boy who had opened the door, quickly closed it. I delivered the food and then later got a text saying that they hadn't ordered pizza. Well I'm sure they figured it out because I got my delivery money.
The latest one was a little different. A $2 order that I accidently accepted. As I drive up to an expensive house, I see there are instructions "Leave on the porch" Before I can get out, another text message says Just leave on porch. Ok I reply. "Don't knock or call or make noise ok?" is the next text. As I go up the steps I hear lots of people in the front room. So it's not because there are dogs or a kid asleep (which is often why some don't want you to knock) So I leave it and go.
Obviously a kid with a card.