UK Government web site - Covid 19 is no longer an H.C.I.D.

by The Fall Guy 10 Replies latest social current

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

"As of 19 March 2020, COVID-19 is no longer considered to be a high consequence infectious diseases (HCID) in the UK.

Now that more is known about COVID-19, the public health bodies in the UK have reviewed the most up to date information about COVID-19 against the UK HCID criteria.

The Advisory Committee on Dangerous Pathogens (ACDP) is also of the opinion that COVID-19 should no longer be classified as an HCID." https://www.gov.uk/guidance/high-consequence-infectious-diseases-hcid

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

in the UK there have been just over 1800 deaths from covid19, to date. of these--all but 28 had underlying medical conditions.

there is a ratio of deaths to positive tests, but as there are comparatively few tests done, that figure looks frighteningly high.

the bigger picture is those 1800 deaths as a percentage of the UK population, which is 67 million. so the death rate is 0.0028% of the population. obviously this will increase over time.

by comparison, the median death rate from all causes here is .95%, or 9.5 in a thousand.. an average of 12,240 a week.

ive read that, as so many of the population are forced to stay at home, deaths caused by industrial and road traffic accidents etc will decrease, possibly to a higher number than those lost to covid.

there is likely to be a population increase in 9 months time.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

If you read this document is simply about the definition and nature of this disease. It is not saying that the pandemic is not serious it's just about the classification and appropriate handling of it.

• Simon
    Simon

You don't calculate how dangerous something is by what percentage of the entire population dies from it. By that reasoning, sticking your fingers in a plug socket or running across a motor-way isn't that dangerous, because a teeny tiny fraction of people die from it.

Death rates are based on people taking part, or infected in the case of the virus. That's why we can decide that certain sports, activities and jobs are more dangerous than others even if only a small number do them, and that certain diseases and infections are more concerning.

I find the dismissive hand-waving away of "oh, they had pre-existing conditions" as though it's OK very troubling. Those were all people. Someone's family member, a husband, wife, parent, grandfather, child ... because it isn't just people with pre-existing conditions, it can be anyone - it's not an absolute guarantee of safety to be young and fit and won't be if hospitals are overwhelmed.

Just because some government body declares something, why are we suddenly like sheep, trusting them implicitly. Government bodies declared that there were weapons of mass destruction and led us into a decades long war. Government bodies tell us all kinds of lies regularly.

I don't understand the rush to believe something so quickly that has hardly been investigated - the results are still coming in, they are guessing and it's reckless to proclaim the results while the pandemic is still developing and spreading.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Speaking on behalf of all the people on ventilators that are unconscious right now, death is not the only marker of significance.

My partner (nurse in charge) has intubated more people tonight in her department than she does in an average year. The wave in the U.K. has still not hit, this is nothing yet..... It’s nearly 3am, she’s only half way through her shift and she is talking about the PTSD this is going to cause

One patient intubated tonight has their wife in sick with CV19 already.

These patients are NOT in their 80’s....youngest 41, no medical issues. Damn, a 13 year old healthy child has died today in the U.K!

Doctors and nurses and healthcare professionals are now dying in the U.K.

Enough with the misinformation please it’s dangerous, insulting and infuriating.

• LV101
    LV101

What the hell do they care what they call it - this is nerve wracking for the average lay person and unimaginable what those in the front lines -- hospitals, health-care professionals/employees are experiencing. It's going to be a rough ride the next 2 to 3 weeks for this country (world in general) as we live through the steep upward trajectory of COVID 19 and it's 200,000 projected deaths here - a living horror. Even when we reach the apex it's a slo-mo downward curve.

• caves
    caves

LV101, At this point in time I'm sure most of us posting have food, water and basic necessities. This might be a good time to remind ourselves of the billions of people still living on the planet that cant even get a drink of water without wondering if they will die from it. Our great great grandparents made it through times we could not even imagine. Yet we are here, still. I understand the panic. I've been having panic attacks all week and my neighbor shot himself Sunday eve due to being completely overwhelmed. Its , exhausting. We are all right there with you LV101. I hope you can find moments of peace during the odd days ahead.

That goes for all of you.

• LV101
    LV101

Yes, caves - it's one of those things that seems to be on our minds and we might as well strap in -- it's gonna be a rough nite - or few weeks. It's hard to imagine - I don't panic but this is surreal although we have much to be thankful for and try to do what we can for others. Our lives have certainly changed 180 degrees. Hope you're able to calm - there should be a beautiful sun shining tomorrow, right.

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

@ s&n - Just passing on the U.K. government's insulting, infuriating, and dangerous misinformation!

Should we doubt any of their actions & thinking regarding Covid 19?

@ Simon - "they are guessing and it's reckless to proclaim the results while the pandemic is still developing and spreading"

Totally agree. There is absolutely no unanimity regarding crucial Covid 19 data amongst those termed as "experts." Hindsight will praise a few and slap many others.

• cofty
    cofty
    Just passing on the U.K. government's insulting, infuriating, and dangerous misinformation! - fallguy

And so far you have not offered a single example.

New data and changes to public behaviour means that the projected death toll no longer falls under the technical definition of HCID. So?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit