Canadian current and former JWs questioning the blood issue

by Lee Elder 11 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Lee Elder
    Lee Elder

I was interviewed yesterday by Stephen Smith at the CBC. He would also like to interview other current and former JWs, along with any elders or HLC members who are questioning the blood policy.

Here is his contact information:
    Stephen Smith
    Web journalist
    CBC Montreal
    1-141-6225
    1-514-597-6225
    Email: [email protected]

If you think you might be a good candidate, you may contact him directly. He has agreed to maintain anonymity for those who need it.

Thanks,

Lee

• Introvert 2
    Introvert 2

Good stuff Lee, you from Montreal too ?

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

@LeeElder: I passed this info to someone .

• Lee Elder
    Lee Elder

No - I'm in the U.S.

• Steel
    Steel

There has been two jw women in the last two weeks die giving birth in Canada, yet there hasn't been a peep about it my hall. It's also all over the news.

It seems odd for an organization that preaches martyrdom all the time, they sure don't seem to want to talk about it when it happens.

Or is it just my hall?

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

We've come a long way from that old 90s WT cover piece extolling the virtues of JW kids martyring themselves.

• Steel
    Steel

I am serious.

Is it kind of an unofficial rule to not talk about the deaths? Or is it just my hall.

• Scully
    Scully

I noticed there was an article on the CBC website today, with an interview from Lawrence Hughes. The subject of how the HLC is used to intimidate / unduely influence JWs who are in a situation where blood transfusion would very likely save their lives.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/jehovah-s-witnesses-incapable-of-free-informed-refusal-of-blood-former-adherent-says-1.3829778

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Steel: I am serious.
    Is it kind of an unofficial rule to not talk about the deaths? Or is it just my hall.

I don't know. I am nowhere near a hall. Never will be.

But, I appreciate your observation. This case has rarely left my mind since it happened.

I think the JWs might be in a bit of shock. Shock that not one but two mothers so close to each other. Shock that the miracles of bloodless surgery and alternatives promised them by the HLC didn't work.

And shame. Shame that the whole world is looking at them. Looking at them and wondering - wondering how...how could Eloise's husband, the JW family and friends, her own mother, - the woman who had given her life..whose blood, her own blood, had covered her at birth - how could they tend her bedside during those horrible, long days - 6 days and nights - and not once, not one of them...reach out their arm and say - "Here, take mine. She has done her duty - she has fulfilled her promise to Jehovah. She is in need. I will do it - I will take it for her - the sin of the blood that I am told not to give. Christ gave his blood and so will I"

At the point that this young mother was no longer conscious, she lost her ability to give consent. And the JWs in that room could have still acknowledged her sincere belief, and stepped up to the plate to save her life. But they didn't. Why? Because they were told not to. Or it would be them that would lose their chance at paradise. They stood fast so they would get saved.

I have a daughter around the same age as Eloise. My daughter is pregnant. We share the same blood type. And I wouldn't hesitate to stretch out my arm and let my life blood drip into her veins. To keep my baby and hers alive. And I could even do it in that continuous loop that the JWs have been told to do - directly from me to her. Easily.

Elosie's death was not only needless, as well as Mirlande's death ten days previous, but both deaths were shameful. A shame to all of the JWs at your hall and all involved in this. They should be quiet. They should be thinking about what they did and would do if it was them. They should be thinking about their loved ones, wondering if they, too, would follow the WT or would follow their heart.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I suspect a lot more JWs have issues with the blood prohibition than we might think.

These deaths can only make those issues more palpable.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit