Why start preaching work in 1876? Something to ask JW's who are still in

by fedup 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• blondie
    blondie

I thought it was to get the remnant out

-------------------------

Remember that the WTS did not teach that all non-jws would be destroyed then just the religious, commercial, political systems. So yes it was to find the anointed but not to the eternal detriment of the rest of humankind. When the "end" did not come in 1914 and Russell died in 1916, it was necessary to turn that concept around to the end still being future and the need to find the "great crowd" before the end in 1925, 1940's, 1975, etc.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

There is little doubt that the WTS as well many other religious charlatans thought that the return of Christ and the new system of things under him was a marketable commodity, they essentially turned the Gospel of Jesus Christ into a viable commercial vehicle for literature proliferation.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

Blondie I was referring to this from the Jehovah's Witnesses In The Divine Purpose (1959) page 37 where it quotes what Russell wrote,

Since 1878 (and never before that ) we have felt at liberty to call God's children out of the nominal churches to a position of freedom and liberty, where they would be free to serve Him fully...
  • Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Just a side note but despite what was written in 2 Peter , Noah didn't preach. The covenant was with him and his family that's it.

• blondie
    blondie

Ucantnome: I wasn't saying that it wasn't correct that they were looking only for the anointed between 1874 and 1914. But the overall view explains why, the anointed had to be in heaven by 1914 when the "end" of the political, commercial, religious systems would come at the hand of Jesus and the angels.

Thnk also what that would mean that all of the anointed would have to die and be resurrected to heaven by 1914.

The rest of humankind would continuing living on earth under the direction of the kingdom in heaven with Jesus as king and the 144,000 all in heaven ruling alongside Jesus. Much different from what the WTS teaches today.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

blondie i wasn't disagreeing with you I was only explaining what I meant by getting the remnant out

• freddo
    freddo

Of course, according to Genesis life spans were much longer prior to the flood so although Noah could have preached for hundreds of years to the same people yet it was only recorded as about 40 years.

Unlike 1876 until now which would have meant my great great grandfather hearing it in 1876 at approx age 24, then my great grandfather hearing it at age 24 in 1900 then my grandfather hearing it at age 34 in 1924 then my father in 1950 then me in 1976 and then my children in 2000 - so six overlapping generations of which only the last two are alive.

Crazy!

• fedup
    fedup

Noah and the others would have lost all credibility, as well as God if the message wasn't fulfilled. Not to mention that God could not hold anyone accountable if the end of the system of things keeps getting postponed time after time.

How can God hold any of us accountable for leaving the Watchtower and calling out bullshit?

• sir82
    sir82

I knew an old sister who was adamant Armageddon would come in 1999.

Her logic was that the Watch Tower was first published in 1879 and 1879 plus 120 years was 1999.

Heh, reminds me of a sister who was convinced Armageddon would come in 2005.

Reasoning: Adam was created in 4026 BCE, thus 6000 years later was 1975. But the "6th day" didn't end yet, Eve still hadn't been created.

Adam was 130 years old when Seth was born.

The old Aid book indicated that Cain may have been around 100 years of age when he killed Abel. The murder made Cain unsuitable for being in the line leading up to the Messiah, so Seth was a replacement for him.

If Adam was 130 years old when Seth was born, he would have been 30 when Cain was born. Thus Eve was created around 30 years after Adam's creation. 1975 + 30 = 2005.

Just like every other attempt, official or otherwise, by the WTS or individual JWs, to fix a date: it contains something similar to internal coherency but is utter balderdash and inevitably turns out false.

• blondie
    blondie

My vote is still on 2034, 1914 + 120 years announcement made by God prior to flood (smile)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit