A Beard Maverick

by EyesOpenHeartBroken 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• EyesOpenHeartBroken
    EyesOpenHeartBroken

So I went to the KH for the first time in a month, and the first brother in our congregation has grown a full beard. I am in a western U.S. semi-rural area in a cong with an extremely conservative and controlling elder body. Oddly enough, it seemed like people were going out of their way to converse with him and act like they didn't notice the beard or they complimented the beard. No negative feedback, but certainly a lot of interest in it.

Curious to see how it will develop...

If the point of the infamous "Beard article" was to confuse and distract the rank and file, then I think WT may get some distance out of this.

Meantime, back at headquarters....

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

I'm guessing that he is not an appointed man?

There is NO WAY an appointed man, (elder or ms or pioneer) would be allowed to get away with it, no matter what that article said.

I know of a recent situation in a developed land (Australia) where a brother who grew a beard was counselled for "a brazen attitude" for keeping his beard after an elder told him to remove it.

It was a neat and very well groomed beard too.

He shaved it off like a meek man should....

And yet they say this is not a cult....!

• tepidpoultry
    tepidpoultry

The "masters of your faith"

have spoken

sort of

:0)

• tepidpoultry
  • tepidpoultry
    tepidpoultry

@stuckinarut2

I'm not a fan of any religion at this point

But there is no individual application of Scripture here

Totally regulated and enforced by the Church

How is this Scriptural?

This is rather (as you say) the cult of Sir Charles

Salvation originates from his writings

Succession through Sir Joseph

and proceeds by means of The Synod of Cardinals

All Hail!

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I just left Smalltown USA, where my indoctrinated mother worships the WTBTS inc. She told me that they have several "bearded" brothers.

"Oh??? Are they the "bearded rebels" that I have heard about?"

"Oh, no!", she said. "There's nothing wrong with beards. It's just based on cultural norms."

"So, it's not Bible-based?", I asked. "Don't human males grow facial hair? Why would that matter to a God who created men to grow facial hair?", I inquired.

"Oh! Having a beard isn't a big deal!", my mother insisted.

"Not unless human idiocy makes it a big deal.", I responded.

"..................."

DD

• tepidpoultry
    tepidpoultry

@DATA-DOG

I had elders in my house on more than one occasion

Didn't even bring a Bible- hypocrites!

Circuit Overseer threatened and got the BoE involved in removing me as

an MS

I resigned instead

So, I wasn't allowed reading paragraphs (got sisters)

or saying any prayers,

I should say, before growing the beard, I went for and got the permission

of the COBE and the Ministry School Overseer!

NO BIG DEAL HUH?!!

You can't reason with a JW Apologist

But I don't have to tell you that :)

Cheers

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

I was recently delighted to hear two things: after an M.S. in my previous congregation had his "privilege" of position removed (due to his child dating a "non-believer") the ex-M.S. very quickly grew a full-face beard.

Knowing the little-Napoleons in his K.H., they will be seething! :)

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The whole Beard thing is just such childish nonsense based upon really old prejudices of the WT from at least half a century ago, in fact more, going back to Rutherford.

I noticed the same phenomenon mentioned in the O.P when I first grew a "full set" in the mid 70's. I was a M.S at the time, and not a word was said by the Elders, I was used to give Public Talks, even "away" ones, and some of the ones I thought would be critical said they like the beard, and that it suited me !

Weird, perhaps deep down many wished to kick against the Authoritarianism themselves in some way.

Here in the U.K beards are common, worn by a number of Elders as well. But the Brown Noses who like to be on the Platform at Conventions wouldn't dare wear one, because they would not be allowed on the Platform with one, and because they would hate to do anything that was even slightly frowned upon.

This Silly Cult act like a bunch of kids.

• Nicholaus Kopernicus
    Nicholaus Kopernicus

Yes Phizzy "childish nonsense"! Parochialism! Sectarianism! Last WT on subject alluded to beards being problematic in some cultures! Only culture I've come across wherein beards are problematic is that of JWs! I blogged about this over a year ago....

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/5678288265543680/wtbts-partial-distinctions-james-3-17

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit