Elders as judges??

by ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara 5 Replies latest jw friends

• ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara
    ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara

the shepherd book page111 under the subheading

Elders Are Teachers and Judges

He has raised up elders to serve as counselors and judges.

(Isa. 1:26)

My issue when I researched this verse just to find out how one concludes that the ELDUMBS are as judges, I found a Watchtower article 92 7/1 page 15 para 4 says

{The Scriptures indicate that the relatively small number of anointed Christians, beginning with the 12 apostles, will be associate judges with Christ Jesus during the Millennium. (Luke 22:28-30; 1 Corinthians 6:2; Revelation 20:4) A remnant of anointed members of spiritual Israel on earth were themselves judged and restored in 1918-19. (Malachi 3:2-4) Concerning this restoration of spiritual Israel, it was prophesied: “I will bring back again judges for you as at the first, and counselors for you as at the start.” (Isaiah 1:26) Thus, just as he had done “at the start” of fleshly Israel, Jehovah has given the restored remnant righteous judges and counselors.

5 To begin with, the ‘wise men’ who were “put in as judges” were all anointed older men, or elders. Since 1935 the anointed have received the loyal support of an ever-increasing “great crowd,” whose hope is to survive “the great tribulation” and live forever on a paradise earth. (Revelation 7:9, 10, 14-17) As “the marriage of the Lamb” approaches, more and more of these are being appointed by the anointed Governing Body to serve as elders and judges in the upwards of 66,000 congregations of Jehovah’s Witnesses throughout the earth. (Revelation 19:7-9) By means of special schools, they are being trained to handle responsibility in the “new earth” society. (2 Peter 3:13) The Kingdom Ministry School, conducted at the end of 1991 in many countries, placed emphasis on the proper handling of judicial cases. Elders who serve as judges are duty bound to imitate Jehovah and Christ Jesus, whose judgments are true and righteous.—John 5:30; 8:16; Revelation 19:1, 2. }

My confusion is how do they justify that this handing out "judging people " as scripturally correct and approved by Jehovah n Jesus?

It is like saying that because a judge of the highest rank in the highest of courts is no longer able to be present in court case(coz of aging,illness), the judge appoints his son/ son-in-law/ wife/ daughter or one of his neighbors to judge on behalf of him !!

am I reading this wrong ! the above watchtower reference says this. From what I read it says judging during the millenium when they are sitting on thrones not now onwards to ..... . What do you think?

Zing

• tiki
    tiki

I think it is all a bunch of hooey.

"Elders" are just people like the rest of us. They assume a superior position within their devised religion and endeavor to use scripture to back them up. Jesus simply said that your leader is one, the Christ.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Well, their own bible tells them not to judge others unless they wish to be judged harshly. I would simply tell them that, unless they wish to be judged without mercy, they had better not be judging me without mercy or be too pushy in getting answers that are none of their business (and I do believe there is another scripture, in their own bible to which they are bound to abide, that states that they should mind their own business). If someone higher up tells them to be harsher, they have to choose between obeying the organization and receiving a harsh judgment, or being easier on the alleged offense.

Now, this doesn't apply to serious crimes. Obviously, if someone is found out about rape or murder, the cops need to be called on them. Those who break the law in ways that are harmful to others need to be dealt with in the criminal system--and, after they get their criminal penalty, then they could be subject to a judicial hearing on top of that. But, when the offense is "fornication" or "idolatry", or something like that, they need to loosen up. Otherwise, that scripture against being too harsh (to which they are bound as long as they claim to abide by the bible) will blow up in their faces.

• stillin
    stillin

Being harsh is how they prove their worth. Like Phineas. How would anybody know they did wrong unless they got a spear driven through their gonads?

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Most of the time during my decades of being an elder and there was a "judicial matter", there was usually one "alpha" elder on the committee! Whatever he decided was usually the outcome. When you tried to buck the "alpha", you usually got strong armed!

just saying!

• inactive1
    inactive1

Having the responsibility as elder can be very dangerous. I know. I had a power rush. Thought too much of myself. Men are groomed to approach becoming an elder with this attitude. It's built into the very culture of the organization. This is in spite of what the Bible says. When the elders say they love you it's conditional. Unless you are wealthy, prominent or stand out as a pioneer, forget about it. Come down with a chronic illness that prevents you from going to meetings or service, you lose. With position comes power. With power, you lose qualities of compassion, love and kindness. There are a few exceptions but for the most part, elders serve as automatons doling out counsel and correction with little or no thought to the damage it may do.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit