What was the defining moment that started your becoming a JW ?

by smiddy3 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Let me explain what I mean: I was in the company of a workmate when I looked at my hands and my arms and pointed out the veins and said something like look at that, isn`it amazing how veins and arteriies circulate the blood through our bodies ?

He later explained to me he wasn`t sure what he should say to me as we had been working together for about six years and he had never once brought up about his JW background .He was what we would call a weak witness and he considered me a street kid who swore and drank too much. I was twenty years old at the time.

I can`t remember the actual conversations that transpired ,but thats what started me down the road to becoming a witness and then convincing my GF to join me and about two years later we were married in a KH.

Can you point to any one thing or conversation that started you down the road to becoming a witness?

Obviously this OP is for converts as it doesn`t apply to born ins.

Before becoming a JW I used to read a lot of Mickey Spillanes books and after becoming a witness read somewhere that he became one just by reading a Tract that was left under his door.

What was it that started you off ? I`m curious about how converts became involved with Jehovah`s Witnesses.

If you care to share .

• waton
    waton

Here with me, a workmate too, it had something to do with witnesses not being in the army, not "destroying the Earth" in war. ( he had been a cook in the Waffen SS) he was cooky too, war experiences and to much lead in his system from work. I was baptised 6 month later, pioneer 6 month after that. special a year after that., back to semi-normal in 1975

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Well, yes I can point to one conversation that started me down the road to becoming a witness.
    But it really is a case of me setting myself up for it and a JW taking advantage of the setup.

While I was in the U.S. military, I had attempted suicide by putting a gun in my mouth. While I should have known that I just didn't go through with it, I acquired the idea that there was divine intervention when my hair-trigger gun did not go off. I told an E.R. doctor about the attempt and left out my thoughts on divine intervention, saying I just didn't go through with it. I was put in the psychiatric ward.

While in the psychiatric ward, I decided not to share my thoughts that God prevented the gun from firing. It seemed like that would keep me there longer. I was eventually put into a six week in-patient alcoholic program and my mother sent Jehovah's Witnesses to talk to me. After about the fourth visit, I confided in them what I thought about God intervening in my suicide attempt. It seemed to make perfect sense to them. They jumped right in to say that, yes- God saved you because He has a purpose for you to learn and share the good news with others. It even made sense to them not to tell any doctors or counselors about my divine intervention thoughts for fear that I would be put back in the psychiatric ward for observation.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Born in. Conduct that would get you DF now was under the radar back when.

• EverApostate
    EverApostate

I was so much fed up with my then protestant beliefs. The JWs then presented me with a shining, glittering, truthful?, everlasting life package that was so irresistible.

And they said that Christendom glossed over Jehovah’s name and it’s only the JW who use it.

That created a sort of Sympathy over Jah and I surrendered.

An Almighty god, who kills people instantly for petty things, can’t protect his own name in his own holy book. I never had this question in mind when I fell for it. Common sense matters most in life

• My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence

Born in, but I won't die in.

• Overrated
    Overrated

In my case, I was born in. I was "Forced" to go those meetings and out in circus. And later, "Forced" and " Conned" into becoming one. What a waste of my time!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit