Grounds for divorce and other questions

by new boy 7 Replies latest jw friends

• new boy
    new boy

Doing research for my book. Since I no longer have any of of the Watchtower Bible and truck society publications.

1. Was it true (and believe it was) that in the nineteen sixties that even if one of the marriage mates was a homosexual that this was not concerned grounds for divorce?

2.Was it or is it true that physical abuse can be grounds for divorce. If so are they allowed to get remarried?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Yes I remember something like that. Homosexual sex was not considered adultery, so therefore the other partner couldn't divorce and be free to marry. Don't ask me why, some convoluted reason no doubt.

JWs can separate and get a "legal" divorce for abuse, but they can't get a "scriptural" divorce.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

You might want to check out David Instone-Brewer's article, "Divorce for any Cause".

http://www.instonebrewer.com/divorceremarriage/Articles/WhitefieldBriefing.htm

The author is a biblical scholar and can be found on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFp4JQAnybA&list=PL7740BFE40202311E

Edit: Oops, this was not what you were after...but it may help clarify some issues re divorce and remarriage.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

2.Was it or is it true that physical abuse can be grounds for divorce. If so are they allowed to get remarried?

I far as I know physical abuse were not grounds for a divorce or re-marrying.

These are postive examples of the stupidity of trying to follow the social moral standards of the ancient Hebrews / Civilization.

The bible (Holy book ) also says that children that dishonor their parents should be put to death. ????

• Sail Away
    Sail Away

Yes, adultery was defined as being between a man and a woman, so homosexuality didn't count as "defiling the marriage bed."

This happened to a friend of mine. The first time her husband cheated with another man, she was "not scripturally free to remarry." The second time ten years later she was, but by that time she felt she was too old to start over, so they still live on separate floors in the same house decades later. He's still DF'D, still bisexual and still a believer tortured by the guilt of his "sins".

True to WT's perverse women-hating rules, she is considered to not be living an "exemplary life" and is not allowed to pioneer, because they are living in the same house as "separated" in name only, not legally separated. Just one of the long list of doctrinal issues I had that lead to my exit.

Oh, and they drive to assemblies together, stay at separate hotels and don't sit together during sessions, but they eat at restaurants together, because they're still married. You can make this stuff up.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Physical abuse is grounds for *seperation*....not divorce.

The infamous line considered extreme physical abuse and spiritual endangerment in the same sentence....intimating apostacy is to be likened to domestic violence, but that in either case neither partner is scripurally free to marry . It then went on to quote the Bible as saying "if a man marries a divorced women he makes her an adultress" or similar wording.

I'm sorry I don't know the exact Watchtower it's quoted from, but it's fairly recent. I'm sure can be found on JW.org or Avoidjw.org.

• baldeagle
    baldeagle

new boy, I think this is what you were looking for.

Questions From Readers (WT Jan 1st, 1972 pp.31-32) Do homosexual acts on the part of a married person constitute Scriptural ground for divorce, freeing the innocent mate to remarry? -U.S.A.

“Whether an innocent mate would Scripturally be able to remarry after procuring a legal divorce from a mate guilty of homosexual acts must be determined on the basis of what the Bible says respecting divorce and remarriage.

In homosexual acts the sex organs are used in an unnatural way, in a way for which they were never purposed. Two persons of the same sex are not complements of each other, as Adam and Eve were. They could never become “one flesh” in order to procreate. It might be added, in the case of human copulation with a beast, two different kinds of flesh are involved. Wrote the apostle Paul: “Not all flesh is the same flesh, but there is one of mankind, and there is another flesh of cattle, and another flesh of birds, and another of fish.”—1 Cor. 15:39.

While both homosexuality and bestiality are disgusting perversions, in the case of neither one is the marriage tie broken. It is broken only by acts that make an individual “one flesh” with a person of the opposite sex other than his or her legal marriage mate.”

My Observation:

Weren’t these guys simply brilliant? Countless JW wives were forced to remain with their husbands who practiced this lifestyle. She was also obligated to “render her due.” These trapped wives experienced heartache and despair & could not obtain a scriptural divorce. Of course New Light later flashed forward as usual changing this understanding.

Personally, I do not think they will address or discuss anything more ever, regarding sexual activities beyond what is presently written.

• Done
    Done

Phsical abuse is grounds for seperation on paper only.

Seperate from your wife because she was violent (police called and charges pressed and convicted) and you will be taken in the back room and told how wrong your separation is.

Seperate a second time from your violent wife because you feared for you life and locked yourself in the garage and she busted thru the door with a 10lb sledge hammer because she was 'going to make you see things my way' and you will get called into the back room with the violent person you are seperated from and told how wrong you are for seperating and how you make her behave violently and 'what is your problem '

Sure, on paper violence is grounds for separation but get the local elders to remember that.

Edit

Looking back, i guess it work out ok for me. I left the org, filed for divorce. She made all kinds of accusations to anyone who would listen. Brought her new boyfriend to the next CA even before the divorce was complete. 3 months after the divorce was remarried and df'd. IDK why but can probably assume its the getting remarried without being scripturally free to remary - adultry. So now im free to remarry both legally and (not that it matters) scripturally.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit