Term "Sect" in Galatians 5:19-21 from the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures

by Loi_241 5 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Loi_241
    Loi_241
    I read the Watchtower magazine from January 1, 2008's God's Kingdom What Is It? When Will It Come? . I believe that God's Kingdom is in heaven. Although that God's Kingdom can be both heaven and earth that Jehovah's Witnesses believe. Okay, I want to share with you about what I learn from my study on Galatians 5:19-21. And the Bible source is the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures. I notice the term "sect" in that scripture. And I looked it up what it means. Okay, when we are one of Jehovah's Witnesses, we tend to go to door-to-door and preach, urge the householders to join Jehovah's Witness religion (JW.ORG). How do the householders feel about us at the door? If they are happy to see us at the door, then that's good. However, if the householders are not happy, not very happy to see us at the door, saying that we "urge", persuade them to join Jehovah's Witness religion, then we will need to know what sect is. I am sure that Governing Body does not mean to use "sect" in Galatians 5:19-21. He means to use "heresy". Unfortunately, he already translated "sect" and put it in that scripture. Thus, it is a good thing for the devout Jehovah's Witnesses to consider how the householders feel. Respect is key.
  • DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

What's heresy??

DD

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

HERESY:

αἵρεσις - hairesis - heresies;

choosing, choice;

that which is chosen;

a body of men following their own tenets; (sect or party)

dissensions arising from diversity of opinions and aims;

(a) "a choosing, choice" (from haireomai, "to choose"); then, "that which is chosen," and hence, "an opinion," especially a self-willed opinion, which is substituted for submission to the power of truth, and leads to division and the formation of sects, Gal 5:20. (Vine's)

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Ok, heresy against what? Paul's opinions?

DD

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness
    Welcome, Loi_241!

Good catch! I commend you on your personal bible study efforts.
    As a non-JW, it is encouraging to see you seeking answers in the Bible, instead of relying on publications that are written by some modern-day men in New York.

I agree with you on your observation about Galations 5:20.
    Aren't Jehovah's Witnesses considered to be a sect?
    Should people avoid sects?

Random House Dictionary (dictionary.com)
    sect: noun
    1. a body of persons adhering to a particular religious faith; a religious denomination.
    2. a group regarded as heretical or as deviating from a generally accepted religious tradition.
    3. (in the sociology of religion) a Christian denomination characterized by insistence on strict qualifications for membership, as distinguished from the more inclusive groups called churches.
    4. any group, party, or faction united by a specific doctrine or under a doctrinal leader.

sect in the Bible:
    (Gr. hairesis, usually rendered "heresy", Acts 24:14; 1 Chr. 11:19; Gal. 5:20, etc.), meaning properly "a choice," then "a chosen manner of life," and then "a religious party," as the "sect" of the Sadducees (Acts 5:17), of the Pharisees (15:5), the Nazarenes, i.e., Christians (24:5).

It afterwards came to be used in a bad sense, of those holding pernicious error, divergent forms of belief (2 Pet. 2:1; Gal. 5:20).

The King James Version uses the word, "heresies," as you noticed.
    How will you help a confused householder (like me) rectify this discrepancy?
    How can you convince me to listen, when you represent a sect?
  • Loi_241
    Loi_241

Hello Faithful Witness,

Thank you for sharing the dictionary with me. What I mean is that sect have synonyms that I found term "persuasion". Yes, we Christians should avoid sect. Because of we want to show respect for people's belief. We know that we should not pressure the people to convert our belief. And we want to let God takes care of them. About King James Version, the word "heresies" that I remember watching the movie about Catholic domination during medieval era. The Catholic priest explained that if any who disagree and not follow the rules will be excommunicated from the church, and could possible be the death penalty. But in JW.ORG, the death penalty never happen. Only excommunication and though, practice shunning policy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit