Installation of Yahweh alone

by Doug Mason 8 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

I have released my latest Study for your criticism, corrections, and advice.

Installation of Yahweh Alone”.

Yahweh’s journey from local warrior god assigned to weather and storms to his installation as the universal deity -- and the people who put him there.

Available at: https://www.academia.edu/s/e1d2a5b016?source=link

Doug

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

I couldn't open your link. But this is an amazing map illustrating history. I highly recommend it. history, timeline, chronology, historical timeline

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Doug, I wonder if you have explored the possibilities offered by 1 Kings 20:23, which is a text that always intrigued me.

Here the Arameans think that the "gods of Israel" (Elohe, plural) are "gods of the hills", and have no power over the plains or valleys. Where does that perception comes from? What can it tell us about the origins of Yahweh?

New International Version
    Meanwhile, the officials of the king of Aram advised him, “Their gods are gods of the hills. That is why they were too strong for us. But if we fight them on the plains, surely we will be stronger than they.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Thank you Doug. Have you ever thought of going on Myth Vision Podcast to discuss your findings? That would be fantastic!

Eden1 Here the Arameans think that the "gods of Israel" (Elohe, plural) are "gods of the hills", and have no power over the plains or valleys. Where does that perception comes from? What can it tell us about the origins of Yahweh?

Yes or the old chariots because they're made of Iron (because he's a Bronze age God?).

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Sea Breeze,

You can try downloading it from my own site:

https://jwstudies.com/Installation_of_Yahweh_alone.pdf

If that fails, PM me with your email address so I can give it to you that way.

Doug

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

EdenOne,

The first thought that came to mind is that the Israelites were hill-dwelling Canaanites (poor cousins of the Canaanites who lived on the richer soils of the plains).

This is an area that I am toying with in my mind -- the original Israelites (clearly they had taken onboard the Canaanites' supreme God El, as is shown by the name they gave themselves: "Isra-EL"..

At the moment, I have not investigated that passage and thanks for pointing me to it.

I take a degree of caution with "historical" statements in the Bible, and I will need to take into consideration who wrote it, when, and for what local purpose.

A fundamental concept was that each city, each society, and so forth had its own god. Therefore when a city was defeated, it meant that their god was weaker.

Yes all those societies had plural gods and goddesses. Judah was dominantly polytheistic up to the Exile. The minority "Yahweh-alone" sect was largely drawn from a group in the Temple. When it was destroyed by Babylon, these Yahwists lost the symbol of their power.

They convinced most that the parlous state of Judah resulted from Yahweh's displeasure that they had not followed the "Yahweh-alone" party. They returned with promotional writings (later OT Scripture), Yahweh alone, and a determination that their temple be built.

No wonder the people who had been left on the land were not happy to see them come back from Babylon.

Doug

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

EdenOne,

I do not know what that passage tells us about Yahweh. He was not a member of the Elohim and arrived separately. The Bible writers intimate that he can from the south. I present that in my Study.

I want to investigate the Shasu, to see if they provide the necessary clues to Yahweh's arrival.

In several aspects, Yahweh and Baal were similar: they were gods of the weather, "Lord", and so forth.

I have not seen any evidence but I have an unfounded suspicion that when the southern (Judaean) writers were complaining about Baal worship of their northern neighbours Israel, they were actually complaining about the form of Yahwist worship in Israel, as it was different to theirs.

If I keep repeating myself here, put that down to age-related poor short-term memory.

Doug

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Your not alone there Doug ,welcome to the club.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Your review is a labor of love. No doubt it helps organize the thoughts by actually writing them out. If I might suggest a couple areas of refinement. The process of syncretizing the imported Yahweh deity with the indigenous gods El and Baal, was a painful and long process. Gradually the iconography and theophanic language was shifted to Yahweh by those with the power to do it. It seems largely a political strategy of leaders such as Josiah to unite a small empire with a state religion. Religious purists likely chaffed at expressions like "Bull Yahweh" and the occasions wherein worship of Yahweh involved the use of bulls. But political power and time win over. Incredibly the OT contains both religious positions tenuously side by side; condemnation of Yahwism with Baal and El iconography, and overt acceptance of this transition.

Regarding Yahweh's origin from the south, the Kennite hypothesis convincingly put the pieces together many years ago. Conclusive, no but the OT assertions to that effect are pretty hard to explain if not accurate. At least it was widely believed that Yahweh was a Edom/Medianite deity that "adopted" Israel as his people.

I'll also suggest pursuing research regarding the "10 tribes of Isreal". Modern scholarship might use the term as a nod to earlier work in reference to the Northern coalition/nation of Israel but in doing so are not literally suggesting 10 of an original 12 are historical tribes. The "tribe" names are often simply geographical or etiological creations not sons of of a patriarchal Jacob. The number 12 has cultic symbolism.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit