Jehovah’s Witnesses Sell Their Longest-Held Property in Historic Brooklyn Heights (124 Columbia Heights)

by Da.Furious 7 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Da.Furious
    Da.Furious

Just saw this on JW.org:

https://www.jw.org/en/news/releases/by-region/united-states/witnesses-sell-property-124-columbia-heights/

Interesting aspect on this is that is no mention at all for how much it was sold.

On Brooklyn Daily Eagle, it states that the building was sold for $105million to Florida Panthers (hockey team) owner.

http://www.brooklyneagle.com/articles/2016/5/2/jehovahs-witnesses-sell-124-columbia-heights-florida-panthers-owner-vincent-viola

Da Furious

• Da.Furious
    Da.Furious

One of the comments from JWtalk about this article

"You know what I've come to appreciate about us? Is that we are not overly-attached to material things. I mean, these properties contain our history, and are significant no doubt. But the Slave is setting an example for us that material things should not take priority.

Many, or better most, religions would hold on to their historical buildings even to their own detriment. We are more than willing to move on IF THE NEED ARISES. When this old world is gone, we will have to willing to leave our things behind.

The Slave is leading by example in this regard."

and another:

"But I just wanted to make the point that the GB just does 'preach' about how we should view material things, they act on it too. They've simplified when needed (and are doing that now in fact), and make the needed changes."

• Magnum
    Magnum

"But I just wanted to make the point that the GB does not just 'preach' about how we should view material things, they act on it too. They've simplified when needed (and are doing that now in fact), and make the needed changes." [corrected for meaning]

JWs have an answer for everything; they're always right. Suppose that the org had been offered a lot of money for the building and refused the offer. Then, on JWtalk, they'd be saying: "But I just wanted to make the point that the GB does not just 'preach' about how we should view material things, they act on it, too. They were offered all that money for one of our buildings and they refused it because that building is part of our history. They've shown that Jehovah's organization is not overly concerned about money."

• pixel
    pixel
    I don't know how you guys can read shi* from JWTalk. Totally discusting. (Not criticizing)
  • My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence
    If the org isn't overly concerned about money, then why wasn't the property donated?
  • OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    If the org isn't overly concerned about money, then why wasn't the property donated?

Because it costs money to build new headquarters. You wouldn't want the Governing Body living in ordinary dormitory rooms with a bathroom down the hall, would you? Well, maybe you would. But you wouldn't want them to stop supporting so many full time workers and lay them off, would you? You wouldn't want the printed materials to get thinner and cheaper, would you? You wouldn't want them seizing old people's jewelry and property when their disfellowshipped heirs could have used it.

• My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence

It's really amazing when you pause, take a step back and look at the big picture. For me, prior to 2010, the governing body and the org could do no wrong. I always had subdued doubts about certain things, but for the most part, I ignored them.

It really is all about the money, isn't it?

• Magnum
    Magnum

It's really amazing when you pause, take a step back and look at the big picture. For me, prior to 2010, the governing body and the org could do no wrong. I always had subdued doubts about certain things, but for the most part, I ignored them.

It's really amazing to me, too. For example, I look back to times when I thought CO's could walk on water. I looked up to them, thought they had advanced knowledge, wanted to impress them, etc., and now they disgust me. I see a bunch of punk (they seem so young now), naive, goody-goody company men.

And, it wasn't long ago, that, although I saw problems with the org, some travelling brothers, etc., I thought the members of the GB were humble, extremely knowledgeable, intelligent, dignified men... and now they disgust me, too.

It really is all about the money, isn't it?

I'm believing that more and more. I also now believe that the org is all about just ensuring its own survival. It doesn't care about deceiving people and taking their lives; it just wants to promote itself and sustain the jobs and lifestyles of the higher-up members.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit