Who has a harder time leaving JW's - Born Ins or those who converted?

by HeyLittleGirl 25 Replies latest jw experiences

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW
    I think it is harder for born ins because your whole life you've been told that "the truth" is the right way to live

Not this born in, so as a kid I just found sitting thru meetings boring, I guess I would've felt the same way at any other church, when I was growing up most kids went to some kind of church service. When I got older and saw the "goings on" in the Cong and most of the other kids during our teenage and young adult years used to leave me out, i guess because I wasn't baptized or whatever and have my mother stand by them, and say " if only you showed interest . . . .", yet they claim to be the only true, loving religion on earth?

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

As a born-in you usually have no education or training so finances are very difficult when you leave. Plus if you have pioneered for any length of time, very little experience of even having a full time job. No house because you could never afford a mortgage while pioneering.

Added to that complete fear of the world. No friends at all outside the religion and having lost contact with my small amount of nonJW family, I found the couple or three cousins I had left were distrustful of me and some were annoyed I think because they didn't understand the distance we used to have because of the cult. Who can blame them.

Losing your faith cannot be underestimated either. That's very hard to cope with. Some converts go back to the church they were in before but born-ins can't do that.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

Born ins hands down. No question.

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

Not being a born-in, It is my observation that children at the hall have a unique life they are accepted and hugged by many adults and treated deceptively well as young children. However, as they age the web tightens and they are expected to drink the cool-aid and get with the program. So I think it's very difficult for them to leave because they have fond memories of a large accepting families in their youth and then their trapped. It's like leaving your homeland and culture and never seeing your family again.

• UnshackleTheChains
    UnshackleTheChains

For born ins it must be difficult given that so many relatives may be involved. From the many you tube videos, most appear to be born ins expressing their anger and frustration.

For those who were converted like myself, it depends on how long you have been in the religion, also if you marry into a family that has a large number of members involved; or if you have kids that grow up and they have kids etc, then things can get pretty sticky.

For me things are sticky. I have been trying to work a way out of this religion, but would turn my families world upside down if I got it wrong. Whats more I have an over zealous mother who would shun me at the drop of a hat and told me so herself re the loyalty card.

• TD
    TD
    For me things are sticky. I have been trying to work a way out of this religion, but would turn my families world upside down if I got it wrong.

For whatever (little) it is worth, you have my heartfelt sympathy....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit