Movies about JWs

by HowTheBibleWasCreated 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• HowTheBibleWasCreated
    HowTheBibleWasCreated

I have seen many movies or shows that make a passing reference to Jehovah's Witnesses but very few dwell on JWs. Some like a Deadly Devotion Episode I saw once tells a true story but the portal of JWs is all wrong. By movies I am not talking of documentaries. Those seem to abound today. I mean a story. As such I have seen four legitimate and very accurate portrayals of Jehovah's Witnesses with a couple of oddballs.

1. Confessions of a Teenage Jesus Jerk: This is 99% accurate. The only mistake is not a mistake but a copyright change from WT magazine to Truth magazine. Otherwise the portrayal of JWs is amazingly accurate and the book 'Crisis of Conscience makes an appearance halfway through the movie in the hands of an elder lol

2. Apostasy: Unlike the first I hate this movie. The coloring in the film is so bland and brown it's depressing. Otherwise the story is also 99% accurate and very sad.

3. Worlds Apart: 75% accurate. The story is a true story but the portrayal of certain witness activities is questionable. Such as sister preaching in pants in service. The elders with a beard is accurate for Denmark. The movie is a favorite of mine, The songs and books are changed for copyright otherwise I would lace this at 90%

4. Big Eyes: Okay this is not for Ex JWs I guess. It portrays JWS in a good light however since it is based on a true story and a well known one in JW land. (I remember the sister's biography in the magazines) The turht is good actors are in this movie that add some humor to it. In fact it's a good general movie. The Jehovah's Witnesses are portrayed 7-% accurate. Yes the truth book and NWT make an appearance. The only reason I rated it slightly low is the movies doesn't dwell that much on JWs,

Now for my hall of shame:

Witnesses of Jehovah

Witness at your Door

These are 100% accurate but rate very low by me. These two movies are from a woman that left one religion for an even worse religion. That being said they are very humorous.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

The last two movies you mention I have never heard of , the others I have seen and enjoyed to a point ,I give a bit of slack to those who produce these films as on a whole they haven`t experienced first hand as to what it`s like being a JW.

Except for one movie.

There was one in the 1960`s ? about a couple who went through the trauma of rejecting a blood transfusion for their child ,I think i picked it to piece s at the time .I think dennis Weaver was the actor .?

Somehow the name ruth comes to mind , but I `m just guessing now.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

Smid..was it called Life for Ruth?

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

Apostacy..i agree..the film is bland and brown..but thats just the location. The story is accurate..but for me its too short...like its just the first episode of a tv series.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Excellent book version of the last movie here. Also 100% accurate. Shows how to defeat JW's using just the bible.

https://www.amazon.com/About-Jehovahs-Witness-Conversations-Cults/dp/0890819440

• mikronboy
    mikronboy

"A perfect world" featured Kevin Costner kidnapping a JW boy. About 1993.

• Overrated
    Overrated

Hey, I got a title for a movie about the GB "The Dumbass 8" Lol.

• Betheliesalot
    Betheliesalot

https://vimeo.com/160789542

Dateline has done a few stories

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I just don`t know stan my memory has failed me Though the time frame certainly fits.In the movie I`m thinking of Jehovah`s Witnesses were never mentioned .

• Teddnzo
    Teddnzo

Is there a comprehensive list of JW movies?

any movies about or relating to JWs?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit