Lunar Eclipses and 607/587 BCE as the date of Jerusalem´s Fall

by ILoveTTATT2 16 Replies latest jw friends

• ILoveTTATT2
    ILoveTTATT2

I am doing a very extensive document, it is a work in progress, that details how to know, just using a list of eclipses in the 6th and 7th century BCE, Excel, and knowing how to read lunar eclipse graphs and maps, that Jerusalem fell in 587 B.C.E., and not 607 B.C.E. as the Watchtower states.

Currently it is in Spanish, but I intend to translate it to English later.

For those who speak Spanish, here it is:

https://sites.google.com/site/laverdadtj2/los-eclipses-lunares-y-la-watchtower

• zeb
    zeb

This must be a huge work for you to do. Please read

"The Gentile Times Reconsidered" x Jonsson.

This guy from Scandinavia did a huge amount of research and was dumped on by the gb.

best wishes Live long and prosper.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I`m just curious zeb as to why you would refer IloveTTATT2 to read "The Gentile Times Reconsidered" x Jonsson.

What relationship has one to do with the other ? Do they cover the same ground and /or compliment each other ?

I must confess I have never read Jonsson`s book and I look forward to TTATT2`s English work.

A definitive answer that would satisfy a JW as to what date either 587B.C.E. or 607B.C.E. would be a dream.

• vivalavida
    vivalavida

Wow, excellent work. El resto de tu página también está de primera ILoveTTATT2. I am marking your google site for later reference. Interesting info you have there.

Thanks

• Half banana
    Half banana

First and foremost the JW org is not interested in truth it is only interested in perpetuating its own myths.

• Half banana
    Half banana

Ilove TTATT, I mention the above not to discourage your scholarly efforts but to put the JW belief system into a context.

JW org beliefs are a confidence trick, all the talk of "God's truth" is part of the sleight of hand to bamboozle the followers. They have already decided; irrespective of whether 607 BCE is based on facts or not (they must have realized that it isn't) they are using that year as a part of their working mythology.

The acid test used by the leadership of the org is not truth or scholarly evidence but loyalty to what they have decided is "divine truth". Their cult depends on suppressing reality.

• ILoveTTATT2
    ILoveTTATT2
    This must be a huge work for you to do. Please read
    "The Gentile Times Reconsidered" x Jonsson.
    Thank you for the suggestion. I have read it. In fact, you could say that this is "The Gentile Times Reconsidered" for dummies version. Lots and lots of pictures and graphs, about 90% of the information in that document is based on TGTR.

I just wanted to make it even easier to understand, and focused only on being able to read a lunar eclipse information graph.

• Londo111
    Londo111

Good work. I wish I could read it. But this sort of thing is what is needed: show, don't tell. Or maybe rather show AND tell.

The Gentile Times Reconsidered is an awesome book and a must read for any JW waking up. However, what I wished at the time when reading it was more astronomical data laid out. For instance, instead of just telling me about astronomical tablets (such as VAT 4956), I wanted to actually see it. Carl Olaf Jonson was more detailed on these matters when he critiqued Watchtower's 2011 articles.

• ILoveTTATT2
    ILoveTTATT2

Londo, with VAT 4956, the problem is that for me it´s hard to understand the motion of the planets since I have never really gone much into depth in that topic. Like, if you asked me to one day point at the planets in the sky I´d be clueless.

But lunar eclipses are things that I know... I have seen them, I know when to expect them, and I understand now the Saros cycles.

I can´t wait to actually finish the document in Spanish and then start translating. I am still missing LBAT 1421, adding bibliography, and doing some finishing touches.

• Londo111

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit