Stupid memorial obsessions

by Simon 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Simon
    Simon

All the different congregations around the world hold it at similar local times but they all effectively are at different times relative to each other ... so why does the time matter?

Why the almost superstitious "oh, it must be after sundown". Cause it's not sundown everywhere that second.

God knew the earth was round ... right?

Why will one place be nearly 24 hours later instead of saying "this is the closest time"?

So why not during the day? I mean it's 2,000 years later, does it really matter that much?

Why not figure out when it's sundown in Jerusalem and do it relative to that? Yes, some poor bastards would be getting up at 2:00 am to celebrate it but who's to say that isn't what he meant and wanted?

And why unleavened bread? And unfortified wine? Does it also matter what the plate and cup are made of? If not, why not?

It's like half of a perfect re-enactment but then meh, good enough.

If I had gone to the memorial then I would have missed the girl scouts calling round selling those delicious chocolate mint cookies. Just the thought of potentially missing out on those makes me want to curse Jesus. His cookies are just crap by comparison.

The wine was a nice idea, I can get on board with that, but the bread needs to be re-thought IMO.

Happy death day Jesus!

• ILoveTTATT2
    ILoveTTATT2
    How about in places in really high latitudes where the sun does not set? When do they do the memorial?
  • smiddy
    smiddy

HaHaHa ,I had a good chuckle with those two posts .Why didn`t I think of that all those years ago.

smiddy

• prologos
    prologos
    And why the reversal? in the last supper the anointed abstained and the earthly class ate and drank, now it is the other way around? the anointed drink, nibble, and the OS abstain?
  • HowTheBibleWasCreated
    HowTheBibleWasCreated
    I Love TATT: Those places above the arctic circle in March/April have a sundown... In June they don't
  • Listener
    Listener
    They have always been pedantic about getting the bread made properly but I just can't imagine that they had refined white flour in Jesus' day.
  • 2+2=5
    2+2=5

Happy death day Jesus. I like it. Straight to the point, no confusion and very positve. What could anyone possibly have against happiness? Nothing. And the Jew died, that's the whole point of the entire Jesus thing. He was murdered for us, by our Heavenly Father.

That sounds weird I know, but he's alright, he promised eternal life for us. Unless you don't like Jesus, then you are pretty screwed. But what's not to like, right? His party tricks are undeniable, plus he said some great shit.

Happy Death Day Jesus! Happy Death Day everyone!

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

If it's soooo sacred, why didn't Jeehoober stop the blizzards that cancelled the meh-mori-hell for many congregations this year? It's kind of difficult to not forsake gatherings and to "keep doing this..." if your meetings are cancelled. If this could be the last meh-mori-hell ever, you would think God could control the weather for a bit. Hmmmm.....???

DD

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

I assume your questions are rhetorical, right?

And I agree on them rethinking the bread. They need to try some sour dough bread, or maybe some nice bruschetta that we can put some cheese on.

• ILoveTTATT2
    ILoveTTATT2
    I Love TATT: Those places above the arctic circle in March/April have a sundown... In June they don't
    Actually, there are some places in the world where there is no sunset at the times of the memorial. At the North Pole, for example, passover according to the JW rules would never happen because there is no sunset after March 18 or so. In between the North Pole and the Artic Circle, there is no sunset after April 18, so on various years there cannot be a memorial according to JW rules. I remember that in Edmonton the memorial was very late, like 8 PM or so, because already in March, the sun was setting at that time. Where I was born (near the tropics), it was always at around 6PM sharp.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit