A sobering week

by onacruse 19 Replies latest jw experiences

• onacruse
    onacruse

((Panda))((smack))((OICU8it2))((PG))

One very touching moment: Brian (quadraplegic) asked me like 40 times in 20 minutes "How are you?" I said "Good, and you?" "Fine"..."How are you?"...Always a smile on his face.

Then, as he was sitting on the patio, eating breakfast, he motioned to me to pick a flower. I thought he wanted one for himself. I picked one (a dandelion), gave it to him with a smile, and started to walk back to continue painting. He voiced to me, and held up his withered hand, with the flower...

he wanted me to pick the flower for him, to give to me.

Aww, man...I'm in tears.

Craig

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Craig:
    Ya know, sometimes I wonder if it's not us that are the mentally handicapped ones. To say that we allegedly have all our marbles, we act emotionally stunted, most of the time. They seems so more able to give true unconditional love.

So-called "handicapped" ones have often been the sweetest people I've had the pleasure of encountering, too.

• moonwillow
    moonwillow

Little Toe I have to agree with you it's so very true.

• Navigator
    Navigator

I suspect it may be a bit premature to pin the responsibility on God for the 'less than perfect' conditions described in this thread. Life on this plane is certainly a 'learning experience'. Our teachers come in unusual guises. Pettygudger said it well.

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

Onacruse - I'm sure Brian is still beaming today from the small amount of time you were able to share with him, and the kindness you showed.

Little Toe hit the nail on the head - what they teach us is unconditional love. They love freely, openly. Even if you hurt them, they forgive easily, forget quickly and love nothing more than for you to just give them a smile. They appreciate so much of what we all take for granted.

Reminds me of the movie "Shallow Hal". Perhaps if we all were hypnotised by Tony Robbins, we'd find those that we see w/our eyes as "different" or "peculiar" are truly the most beautiful of all. And the things they teach us are things we very quickly forget, how to love, how to be kind, how to be open, how to give.

As little toe said - perhaps we're the ones that are mentally challenged - its a lesson alot of "normal" people never learn.

Our teachers come in unusual guises.
    Isn't it funny that those we consider to be the least advantaged teach us the greatest gifts!
  • LittleToe
    LittleToe
    Our teachers come in unusual guises.

Well said. So true.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

(((((((Craig)))))) Honey you are so sweet!

This has been a topic Craig and I have been talking a lot about lately. I mean really what parent wants to watch his/her child suffer, it really makes me wonder about a god who would tollerate suffering.

I do agree that "Our teachers come in unusual guises." My daughter just started as a teacher's aid for handicaped children and she said she has yet to NOT cry at work and comes home to her family with a completely different outlook. She is very happy for this experience to work with these kids who are so happy all the time, she feels she is the one bennifiting and learning from them.

Life can be so humbling if you allow it.

KateVisit Smiley Central!

• shamus
    shamus

Ya know, sometimes I wonder if it's not us that are the mentally handicapped ones.

That is well said, too.

You guys should consider a career in working with developmentally challenged adults. I have been doing it for a year and it is very rewarding!

• shamus
    shamus

Ya know, sometimes I wonder if it's not us that are the mentally handicapped ones.

That is well said, too.

You guys should consider a career in working with developmentally challenged adults. I have been doing it for a year and it is very rewarding!

• shamus
    shamus

That is well said, too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit