Are JW more depresed?

by heianderen 20 Replies latest watchtower medical

• heianderen
    heianderen

As many of you know there are some studies that indicade thath JW have an above-average mental illness incidence. What do you think about?

I know a JW Doctor that , ironicaly, has confirmed this claim to me.

Greets,

heianderen

• shamus
    shamus

Of course! It's pretty apperant.

Shamus.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

yes it is true I have seen studies and the statistics -- sorry do not have a URL Web address just yet -- will locate for you -- you see if you are Catholic you just confess your guilt to a priest -- but with the witnesses it is exactly what I have said in other threads. No matter what you do it is never enough -- if you are attending all meetings -- you should be preparing for all meetings -- if you do 10 hours a month in the ministry you should be auxilliary pioneering now and again . If you are auxilliary pioneering now and again then you should be regular auxiliary pioneering -- if you are regular auxiliary pioneering you should be regular pioneering --. It is always more more more -- nothing is ever enough there is never a "well done" and of course -- we are never putting enough in the contribution box -- this can and does lead to overwhelming anxiety and guilt and then depression -- and the new system is always "Just around the corner' . Add to this all the disappointments re 1975: The Geneartion Taeching in 1994, UN, Child Abuse --- hell no wonder the depression rate is so high amongst witnesses. I actaully think it is one of the most negative religions on the planet

• wednesday
    wednesday

i think esp if u are a jw gone bad, u are depressed. B/c no matter what u do, u are marked and shunned. It is very depresseing to finally get reinstated and realize that u have no outside jw friends and no real jw friends. And this is the way u will have to live to stay a jws. (((sigh)))

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Yes....JWs are more depressed than anyone else on earth as a group....because they are love-starved.....unless the individual JW is really "into" S&M, that is...or perhaps has a deviant sociopathic persona....

Frannie B

• Odrade
    Odrade

not just mental and psychological ailments, physical sicknesses too. I've never known a group of more chronically sick person. When you are under that kind of stress and cognitive dissonance, the resulting discord has to go somewhere. Often it comes out in physical infirmity. That's the mind-body connection that eastern medicine talks about.

Odrade

• SadElder
    SadElder

I believe that the dubs seem to attract many who are prone to n euroses and gullable too. Oh and bring along any qet rich quick scheme, MLM program aka pyramid scheme, etc. and it spreads like wildfire. If it involves some health assistance scheme all the better. In our area the big thing was Noni juice to heal everythng that ails you. Have cnacer drink Noni, have a bad back drink Noni. Boy what a joke but at $35 a bottle and you need two a month it sure puts money in someone's pocket.

• Dimples
    Dimples

Of course! When I left the organization, I was amazed how people I knew said how different I looked. They said I actually looked happy. Now that I am out, whenever I see the witnesses they look so sad. I just can't believe I had that same depressing look before.

• RoadDoctor
    RoadDoctor

I always got depressed on Sundays (public talk/Watchtower), Tuesdays (TMS, Service Mtg), Thursdays (Bible study), and Saturdays (Field service.)

Another thing that happened in our congregations was when a new illness or disease became popular and signs/symptoms were listed in the Afake! Magazine, nearly 50% of the congregation had that illness! Jehovahs Witnesses are a bunch of attention seeking crybabies when it comes to illness. They know they will get an outpouring of love that would not normally be shown to them thru the congregation. I am in no way knocking persons who due have depression or any other illnesses, however...I have seen it abused by many just to get attention.

Josh

• acsot
    acsot
    When you are under that kind of stress and cognitive dissonance, the resulting discord has to go somewhere. Often it comes out in physical infirmity. That's the mind-body connection that eastern medicine talks about.

Odrade:

You are absolutely right about the above. Since I "saw" the light a year ago, I haven't had anything physically wrong with me, in spite of much, much more stress in my personal life as a result of caring for my mother who has had two strokes in the past five months. Not even a cold. Before, when guilt-ridden and burdened by the borg, I was always coming down with something, colds, flu, sore throats, laryngitis, etc. Nothing life-shattering, but enough to miss meetings! Now that I don't need to get out of field service or meeting attendance, I haven't had the "need" to get sick. It's revealing how one's health takes a turn for the better when freed from the shackles of the WTS.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit