Facial Hair?

by HereIgo 13 Replies latest jw experiences

• HereIgo
    HereIgo

Now what was the deal with this one? My Cong strictly enforced the facial hair unwritten rule. Alot of Bros starting growing soul patches, then the CO cracked down on that too, no more, must be clean shaven, especially MS and elders. I remember my mother trying to explain it to my worldly father and he said "well Jesus had a beard!" I thought, good point. I never quite understood it, but followed it anyway. Can anyone shed light?

• Chook
    Chook

Just another rule for the sake of having a rule.JW love rules. My brother who is Catholic priest says JWs would make better Israelites than Christians due to their love of rules.

• freddo
    freddo

They like to cite Leviticus 19 v 28 to explain why JW's mustn't have tattoos while completely ignoring Leviticus 19 v 27 which says you mustn't shave off your beard.

The reason? It is a power-tripping, make 'em comply, power-tripping, power trip!

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

You made me feel old. What the hell is a 'soul patch'?

• HereIgo
    HereIgo

Freddo good point, I forgot about that one. They definitely pick and choose what they want to use in the bible!

• HereIgo
    HereIgo

Lol @nicolaou a soul patch is a patch of hair grown just under your bottom lip. I've personally only ever seen black and hispanic bros grown one

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    a soul patch is a patch of hair grown just under your bottom lip

Lol, yeah the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society finally get one right; those atrocities should be banned!

• Open mind
    Open mind

A recent WT backed off on the beard ban and says it's culture by culture.

Haven't heard whether or not JWs in Northern California are easing up on it or not.

Anyone else?

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

The only reason is that they say so. Not a lot more to go on other that it's just another way of controlling people.

• blondie
    blondie

I assume this does not include mustaches on brothers (mustaches on sisters is another issue)?

Back in the early 70's there was an unwritten rule, no mustaches for brothers unless you were black of Hispanic....then the congregation I was in allowed properly trimmed mustaches. Suddenly one elder and 2 MS transferred to our congregation and were reappointed. The elders in their old congregation , same city, had a fit and tried to get the CO involved but he just said the BOE in each congregation made their own rules. The 2 BOEs had a battle going for 20 years....finally the current CO said end or else. That same congregation insisted on long sleeved white shirts for the visiting public speakers too and would not invite speakers with mustaches (so the other congregation never exchanged speakers with that one).

But sisters can have beards and mustaches.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/real-life-stories/siobhain-fletcher-woman-growing-movember-1460056

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit