The right age to get baptized?

by shotgun 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

There is no 'right age' to get baptized. A person has to be mature enough to know what they are doing.

How many really know what they are doing when they are kids? So many have been baptized too young and either fizzled out or once they've grown into adulthood and are trying to get a life, have felt trapped and done something to invoke the disapproval of the congregation.

When I was baptized I recognized Christ as my Savior, repented of my sins and wanted to dedicate my life to God. I do not regret it, though I was only 15.

There is an added twist to today's JW baptisms which is a concern and would affect any who contemplate baptism: That *second* 'contractual' question!

"Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah's Witnesses in association with God's spirit-directed organization?"

Tut tut! That shouldn't be part of the deal!

• onacruse
    onacruse

Hi AnnOMaly, and welcome

There is an added twist to today's JW baptisms which is a concern and would affect any who contemplate baptism: That *second* 'contractual' question!

"Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah's Witnesses in association with God's spirit-directed organization?"

Tut tut! That shouldn't be part of the deal!

Yep. Changed in the mid-80s, as I recall. I was baptized when I was 10 (1962), and was sure I knew what I was doing. When I was on the verge of being DFd, I reminded my family that I'd never dedicated myself to the WTS organization. None of them had noticed the 'subtle' change in terminology.

fwiw, I look back and know that I made the best decision I could, at the time. If we get baptized into a religion, or join a political party, or decide to live a "profligate" life...it's still just a matter of "pay your dime, and take your chances." imho it's not a matter of right or wrong (objectively speaking).

Craig

• moonwillow
    moonwillow

When you are old enough to understand the religion and make your own decisions. Is this the religion you want to grow in and with. For everyone that will be a different age.

• blondie
    blondie

18 when no longer under parental supervision or control (hopefully also financially self-sufficient)

(I thought Jesus got baptized at 30 which was the age priests began their tour of duty at the temple and retired at 60. I don't think he was setting a pattern since John's baptism and later Christian baptism indicated that people younger than 30 were baptized--Timothy for example)

• Matty
    Matty

At Twickenham district convention on Saturday they had a bunch of oily little brats on the platform being interviewed on how spiritual they were. What I found amazing was how they spoke about themselves and their achevements and hardly mentioned God at all. Anyway, one of the kids said he got baptised at nine, and was pioneering in his early teens - he was paraded as example of spirituality, laying on a guilt trip to all the teens in attendance who hadn't been baptised yet. This sort of nonsense is standard fare at Circuit and District conventions.

• mizpah
    mizpah

I guess my wife and I were the exception when we were in the organization. We discouraged our children from baptism because we felt they had to be older to make such a serious decision. In contrast, most of the parents our congregation was pushing their children to be baptized at a very early age. It was sort of a "feather in their caps" to have baptized children.

Perhaps, it was my previous Baptist experience. Their rule of thumb was one had to be of "reasonable and reasoning age."

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront
    18 when no longer under parental supervision or control (hopefully also financially self-sufficient)

I'd say, for myself, that they'd most definetely have to be self-sufficient. I've seen to many JW kids use "studying" or the JW mantra "taking in knowledge that leads to everlasting life" as crutches for not displaying any initiative or ambition to do things with the aim of taking care for themselves. I successfully thwarted any attempts by my wife to pressure our children into baptism before they were of age and independent and as they grew older, they eventually saw through the WT smokescreen. I had no intention of taking care of them forever while they "pioneer" for the WTS.

I have a neice who blurted the "knowledge leading to everlasting life" programmed response to me when I asked her about going to school. Right away, I recognized it as one of their conversation stoppers when they are asked about doing anything outside of WT guidelines. How surprised she and her parents were when I responded that on the slim chance that one day she'll have to support herself that I hope she's equipped with more than WT interpretive biblical slogans to offer a potential employer.

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

Considering the practice of shunning and it's severe consequenses such as the loss of the entire personal support network such as family and friends, I don't think baptism should be legally permitted until someone reaches the age of majority. It's almost impossible for a child or teenager to fully understand the reprecussions of deciding that they don't believe in it anymore.

Walter

• Carmel
    Carmel

Since I don't believe in the silly dipping ceremony, there ain't no "right " age to get dunked.

Carmel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit