Fifty Years Since Stonewall

by Expanded-Mind 14 Replies latest jw friends

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

• Trump’s administration started rolling back two controversial legal provisions related to the Affordable Care Act: protections against discrimination based on gender identity, and based on the termination of a pregnancy. – The Atlantic

• The Trump administration is considering narrowly defining gender as a biological, immutable condition determined by genitalia at birth, the most drastic move yet in a governmentwide effort to roll back recognition and protections of transgender people under federal civil rights law. – The New York Times

• The United States Supreme Court has allowed President Donald Trump to enforce his policy of banning certain transgender people from the military.

^^^ none of this has anything to do with gay, lesbian or bisexual people. Trans and intersex people should be a separate group. Gay, lesbian and bisexual people are cis-gender, so they have more in common with the heterosexual majority.

There should be two groups: LGBH (lesbian, gay, bisexual and heterosexual) and T & I (trans and intersex).

As for Trump planning to overturn same-sex marriage ... really?! That really is a first world problem ...

• Expanded-Mind
    Expanded-Mind

I posted my earlier post from another computer and it appears to have cut off some of my post, so I am going to repost (I don't see how to edit my original):

Hi, Cofty and/or LoveUniHateExams!

Thanks for getting back to me.

I understand that things may be different in other countries; the focus of my post was primarily equality in the USA.

Here are some of the things that indicate the fight for equality and acceptance is still a work in progress (at least in the USA):

A majority of states don’t have explicit laws prohibiting discrimination in employment, housing, and public accommodations. – ACLU

The number of hate crimes motivated by anti-LGBTQ bias has remained relatively steady, from a high of 1,256 in 2010 to a low of 1,097 in 2014. Since 2014, the total number has increased every year. – NBC News

Trump’s administration started rolling back two controversial legal provisions related to the Affordable Care Act: protections against discrimination based on gender identity, and based on the termination of a pregnancy. – The Atlantic

The Trump administration is considering narrowly defining gender as a biological, immutable condition determined by genitalia at birth, the most drastic move yet in a governmentwide effort to roll back recognition and protections of transgender people under federal civil rights law. – The New York Times

The United States Supreme Court has allowed President Donald Trump to enforce his policy of banning certain transgender people from the military. – BBC.com

There has been concern that the Trump administration might try to have judges put in place that could potentially overturn marriage equality in the USA. According to Snopes.com: “Donald Trump lamented the Supreme Court's Obergefell v. Hodges decision during a Fox News appearance and suggested that strategic Supreme Court appointments could overturn that ruling”.

There are certainly other issues other than those represented above. And although the issues may have evolved over the years since Stonewall 1969, there is still a need, at least in the USA for true equality under the law. That is why recently:

“lawmakers from both chambers of Congress launched yet another attempt, introducing the Equality Act of 2019, a sweeping measure that would ban discrimination in areas ranging from housing to public accommodations (a realm that includes public bathrooms as well as bakeries, two areas of recent contention). – Time.com

As I’ve already stated, no one is denying that things have changed in significant ways since Stonewall 1969 and I for one am grateful for this. But, there is still a fight for acceptance and equality, at least in the United States.

Both of you have a good week!

ExpandedMind

“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Expanded Mind - "...under the Trump Administration, there has been a constant fight to undermine LGBTQ rights..."

And women's rights.

And racial rights.

And any other minority rights you can think of.

Why else would the Far Right love the guy so much?

• Expanded-Mind
    Expanded-Mind

Cofty,

Hi! I somehow feel you are going way beyond the scope of the original post. All we seem to be doing is talking past each other. The point of my original post and subsequent comments is that there is a need to continue the fight for LGBTQ acceptance and equality in the United States. And I believe the sad evidence shows there is such a need.

I have no doubt you are in full support of the acceptance of and equality for the LGBTQ community. Let’s not split hairs about who should be in which group. We are all HUMANS and, everyone, no matter if straight, intersex, transgender, gay, bisexual, gay or queer, deserves to be respected, safe and have the same legal protections.

Have a good evening!

ExpandedMind

• Expanded-Mind
    Expanded-Mind

Hi Vidiot!

Sadly, but very importantly, you point out other serious issues many have with the current Trump Administration. This presidency has been disturbing on so many levels.

Have a good rest of the day!

ExpandedMind

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit