How much paper has the WT used to print its publications?

by ILoveTTATT2 13 Replies latest jw friends

• ILoveTTATT2
    ILoveTTATT2

So... I am doing a crazy stat: How many pieces of paper has the WT ever published?

I don't have the answer yet, but...

I do have the approximate answer for the Awake! and the Watchtower magazines...

Get ready... it's a whopping 1.1 TRILLION pages!

To make sense of this number,

It is 1/12 of all of the paper the entire United States uses in a year!

(see http://www.theworldcounts.com/stories/Paper-Waste-Facts)

It is about 9 times what it would take to PRINT OUT THE ENTIRE INTERNET!

(http://www.businessinsider.com/how-much-paper-would-it-take-to-print-the-internet-2015-4)

As a very conservative estimate, 1100 square km of forest were cut down to print this! Imagine a forest the size of San Antonio, Texas, being cut down JUST FOR THE AWAKE AND WATCHTOWER magazines!!

Their peak publishing numbers were 28.5 billion pages just for the Watchtower in 2008, and 17.5 billion pages just for the Awake in 2005.

I noticed that every time they reduce something in the magazines (like, number of issues or number of pages per issue), the printing per issue has gone up, almost to the point of cancelling the reduction!

I will post the stats I have gathered when I finish this project.

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

I have heard they had good relations with the paper industry.

G.

• ILoveTTATT2
    ILoveTTATT2

Very powerful graph, showing how bad the WT is doing. Their current number of pages statistic is as it was in the 1960's!!

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

This is quite an eye opener. Thank you for this information. Still Totally ADD

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

What about the trillions of gallons of ink used and the solvent needed to clean the printing equipment?

(wasn't there a toxic waste dump situation where they at one time used to bury their manufacturing waste at one of the old watchtower properties? (Wallkill?)

What about the trillions of gallons of fuel used to transport the literature around the world and to have thousands of JWs hand deliver them to each door?

Don't get me started on the kilowatts of power used to produce them, the countless hours spent sitting around hashing over them during the Sunday Watchtower study and the thousands of acres of land fill that were needed to dispose of them afterward.

Not one thing they had to say in that literature, came true.

Isn't there something in the Bible about ruining those who are ruining the earth?

• ILoveTTATT2
    ILoveTTATT2

Notice how the number of pages and prints per issue went down after 1975? But the downturn is nowhere near what it is now!

I´ll say it again, the internet has been worse for the WT than 1975!

About the ink and fuel, I believe that could also be estimated.

• Londo111
    Londo111

One page is too many.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

One page is too many.

Waste of a perfectly good twigg.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

And the god of the internet will bring to ruin those ruining the earth lol.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Let's just say they have produced enough to line a lot of birdcages, which is about all they are really good for.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit