Elders/MSs and Higher Education

by HiddlesWife 10 Replies latest jw experiences

• HiddlesWife
    HiddlesWife

Would a brother who is an elder or ministerial servant be looked down upon or ostracized for endeavoring into high education?

The reason I am asking this question is because I know of a MS who went to and graduated college (US) with a Masters in Science and Engineering. He also taught these subjects at an adult education program. However, he was a temporary worker at Bethel for one year and worked for a couple of years in Regional Building. In conversation with him and a few other close brothers and sisters at an event about his background/experiences, he hinted that "no one from my congregation nor COs or DOs ever disapproved of what I've accomplished in my past re: educational-wise".

I'm mentioning this because I have attended college and obtained two degrees (Associates and Bachelors)--and received flack from quite a number of brothers and sisters, especially brothers, for this. In fact, one Bethelite tried his d@%*nest to break up me and another young brother who I was dating (and we were planning on getting married when I was in my late 20's) because of my educational status and racial background [I'm AA and Latina; he is Scottish/Anglo and Italian-- this story will be discussed on another thread in the near future]. Furthermore, I know and heard of a few other sisters who have college degrees and are shunned to a certain extent by others in their local congregations.

Is the due to the sexist mentalities in the org or maybe this bro is very fortunate not be persecuted for his life course?

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

At an elders and MS meeting with the CO a few years back, we were specifically told that if an appointed man, or his family living under his roof went on to higher education (beyond high school), his "qualifications would be called into question"

But of course the hypocrisy and irony is that bethel keeps asking for any with university qualifications to go and serve them! Ones such as doctors, dentists, lawyers etc all have to attend university right?

• stillin
    stillin

It's the ones who go to college and stop drinking the kool-aid that they point at. One local elder put both of his sone through college. They are "all in" so nobody gives them any grief. However! People will use this elder as a good example of a bad example on this issue. As though he broke the rules and was lucky enough to survive.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    stuckinarut: But of course the hypocrisy and irony is that bethel keeps asking for any with university qualifications to go and serve them! Ones such as doctors, dentists, lawyers etc all have to attend university right?

Exactly. You have stumbled upon the unspoken WTS formula for success.

A higher education within the org is perfectly acceptable. You just have to learn which professions are desirable - which professions benefit the org. An education in the medical field is desirable - provided you pursue either a career within the blood management field or within a healing profession such as chiropractor. An education within law is good - provided you come from an established JW law family or at least have the financial backing to do so.

As long as your educational goals fit within the framework of the WTS' goals, your education will be well supported. Especially if it is greased with the green oil of WTS donations.

There is a definite social strata that exists within the org with a layer of educated JWs (wealthy and/or potential to earn wealth) who are essential to the running of the org. Many of these educated and wealthy WTS donors belong to the medical profession.

• Simon
    Simon

They are completely hypocritical and delusional.

I remember an elder commenting during the Watchtower on one of the ridiculous "higher education is evil" paragraphs and saying something like "of course we know apostates will try to twist things like this and claim that the Watchtower is against higher education".

IT'S WHAT IT SAID YOU IDIOT !!!

Cognitive dissonance, right there being vocalized.

But yeah, they will then turn round and be happy to use someone's education and gleefully accept the contributions they give from any well-paying job that their higher education helped them obtain.

• steve2
    steve2

And, at the same time, they will quote anyone with a higher education who seems to support their teachings - and - this is what astonishes me! - specifically call for those with specified higher educational qualifications to help with a specific aspect of their (building) work.

• sir82
    sir82

Here is what a BOE letter (March 6 2012) says on the subject:

Appointed men must be exemplary in heeding the warnings given by the faithful slave and
    its Governing Body when it comes to education. (Matt. 24:45-47) Would an elder, a ministerial
    servant, or a pioneer continue to qualify to serve as such if he, his wife, or his children pursue higher
    education? Much depends on the circumstances and how he is viewed. When such a situation
    arises, the body of elders should consider the following questions and scriptures:

Does he show that he puts Kingdom interests first? (Matt. 6:33)
     Does he teach his family to put Kingdom interests first?
     Does he respect what has been published by the faithful slave on the dangers of higher
    education? (3 John 9)
     Do his speech and conduct reveal that he is a spiritual person? (Ps. 1:2, 3; 1 Cor. 2:13-16)

How is he viewed by the congregation?
     Why is he or his family pursuing higher education?
     Does the family have theocratic goals? (Phil. 3:8)
     Does the pursuit of higher education interfere with regular meeting attendance, meaningful
    participation in field service, or other theocratic activities?

On the other hand, if an elder or a ministerial servant is promoting higher education to others
    for the material advantages or the status it may bring, he is calling into question his qualifications
    to serve the congregation because of the effect on his and his fellow appointed brothers’ freeness
    of speech. (1 Tim. 3:13; Titus 1:9) The body of elders may therefore determine that the brother
    no longer qualifies to serve. In most cases, however, such a determination should be made in conjunction
    with the visit of the circuit overseer. If the brother does not agree with the decision, he may
    be invited to express his reasons in writing, and this should be sent along with the circuit overseer’s
    report.

If a person is serving as a regular pioneer only and the body of elders determines that he no
    longer qualifies to serve because of decisions he has made with regard to higher education, the person,
    the congregation, and the branch office should be informed of the deletion in the usual manner.
    In view of the foregoing, each elder should make the following notation next to the subheading
    “Situations That May Raise Questions About an Appointed Man’s Qualifications” before paragraph
    15, chapter 3, in the Shepherding textbook: “See letter dated March 6, 2012, to all bodies of
    elders for direction on considering the qualifications of appointed men in connection with higher
    education.”
  • stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Thanks for posting that letter sir82!

If stuff like that doesn't scream CULT ALERT, then nothing will...

Imagine telling people whether they can or can not choose to become educated!

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I was a MS and elder and continued to pursue an advanced degree. I did not advertise what I was doing, but some knew. In all this time I was never "called out" for what I was doing. If I was asked, I would simply provide a non descriptive answer saying that my employer requires me to take some classes... and then change the subject. Based upon my experience the key is to lay low. Most people, don't really care.

• Saename
    Saename

stuckinarut2 - If stuff like that doesn't scream CULT ALERT, then nothing will...

Imagine telling people whether they can or can not choose to become educated!

When I was still in, stuff like that—though limited to paragraphs in Watchtower about higher education—didn't scream CULT ALERT to me. I realised how strange this belief was only when one elderly "sister" criticised me when I told her that I'm going to university.

Those people are... I'll let you finish.

NewYork44M - I would simply provide a non descriptive answer saying that my employer requires me to take some classes... and then change the subject. Based upon my experience the key is to lay low. Most people, don't really care.

That'd be an even more interesting experience to share if you actually told them that you were pursuing an advanced degree. Those two words—"pursue" and "advanced"—when said in relation to "degree" or "education" are utterly despised by the Jehovah's Witnesses, haha :D

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit