United Nations elects Saudi Arabia to Women's Rights Commission

by freemindfade 21 Replies latest social current

• Simon
    Simon
    The story is worth bringing up but you take it as an opportunity to bash your political opponents even though they haven't had time to react.

But we know what the response is to anything "Islam" by the left - they would rather welcome some bitch preaching Sharia to a campus than allow someone from the right to even utter a syllable. The are unprincipled - they protest non-issues but are then silent for far worse crimes.

The left deserves every amount of ridicule it gets until it figures out it's retarded and is backing the wrong horse.

• kpop
    kpop

Glad she is speaking out, she is, however, a conservative if I am not mistaken.

Freemindfade

It's the website that's quoting her - Huffington Post - that counts.

-Village Idiot

Can someone please tell me what is going on? Is the level of sarcasm so great that it seems to have flown above my head? The Canadian MP is a conservative woman who is outraged over this tragedy, not a liberal or feminist.

• just fine
    just fine

Yeah great idea. As a woman, Saudia Arabia is the first country I would want to weigh in on women's rights. 😏

• JeffT
    JeffT

A number of years ago, my parents traveled to Saudi Arabia so Dad could lecture. All the details were handled by a contact there. My mother was worried going over because they didn't have all the visa paperwork. They were met at the airport by an official who expedited taking them through customs. There a nice man stamped all of Dad's paper work, then turned to the man behind my mother and asked for his paperwork. Mom says "What about me?"

The customs man said "Whether or not your husband wants you to travel with him is of no concern to His Majesty's government." In essence, she was baggage.

I don't believe anything has changed.

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

Some background on Saudi women’s harsh slave/master reality. She relates that there are five types of shackles:

The tribe, the family, religious institutions, the political establishment, and finally society.

If she manages to escape one, she might enter another.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8K54OkzXWig

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

Much more complicated than some Westerners' view of Muslim women’s liberation.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    @betterdaze, What the hell are those red hats they're wearing?
  • zeb
    zeb

Bangalore; "feminists will remain silent" as they have done in the face of so many atrocities against women and little girls. European cities that have seen an explosion in sex crimes have the quietest feminists ever.

• barry
  • betterdaze
    betterdaze
    @betterdaze, What the hell are those red hats they're wearing?

The pink hats were worn at the Women’s March on Washington, the day after Trump’s inauguration.

From the Pussycat Project faq:

"We love the clever wordplay of “pussyhat” and “pussycat,” buy yes, “pussy” is also a derogatory term for female genitalia. We chose this loaded word for our project because we want to reclaim the term as a means of empowerment. In this day and age, if we have pussies we are assigned the gender of “woman.” Women, whether transgender or cisgender, are mistreated in this society. In order to get fair treatment, the answer is not to deny our femaleness and femininity, the answer is to demand fair treatment. A woman’s body is her own. We are honoring this truth and standing up for our rights."

VI, If you don’t knit or crochet, there’s plenty for sale on etsy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit