My disassociation story

by Roger Kirkpatrick 16 Replies latest jw experiences

• jp1692
    jp1692

RK: The elder body decided to reject the Branch's letter

You have to obey, they don't. Nice. There's a word for that: hypocrisy!

(BTW, the elders in your hall are spineless idiots).

RK: I realized I could be labeled an apostate for expressing a viewpoint which had been published in the Watchtower

Yes, and let's be absolutely clear on this. The label of "apostasy" is a convenient way to demonize anyone that disagrees with the control structure and hierarchy of the group. It has nothing at all to do with doctrine. That is just a ruse.

RK: This illustrates the destructive effect oppressive religious cults have on the thinking and reasoning abilities of their adherents

Um, yeah! Cult 101: Thinking is not allowed. Independent Thought and Critical Thinking are specifically the most serious of all "crimes" in a cult.

Take note of the wide range of actual crimes a person can commit and be "forgiven" by the elders. This one is unforgivable.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Thank you for sharing your story.

The way the Witnesses are conditioned to hate so-called apostates trumps all scriptural reasoning. That mindset nearly killed my marriage as well, and my wife was being subtly lead by Bethelites to seek divorce from me.

I hope your wife still come to her senses.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Thanks for sharing your story. I believe that dissociating was the correct move despite the repercussions. Glad your Christian faith is still intact.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Let's review: It's a Cult!

• jp1692
    jp1692

Hey DOC, I love it when you say that.

• problemaddict 2
    problemaddict 2

Thanks for sharing. This really is amazing. In the not so grand scheme of things, this was such a benign (and accurate) statement. Yet it triggered their homophobia, and drove them to make a mountain out of a molehill.

In the end its happy news for you. Ridiculous elders are the cause for many people to be able to see just a little bit behind the curtain.

• Tenacious
    Tenacious

Had those elders scrutinized my Facebook I would have politely told them to go fly a kite.

But of course, that's just me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit