Marry in white - a worldly practice

by menrov 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• menrov
    menrov

I was not aware but just learned that is was Queen Victoria who was the first to get marries in white dress.

So, it is a worldly practice.... I assume JW's should reconsider whether they adopt / continue this worldly practice or keep away from it ...

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

This will not go away, especially in the US. As long as I can remember, it was considered that the couple had not had sex when she wore white. Maybe it has changed. But just like certain "pagan" things are acceptable (i.e. wedding rings), the white is supposed to show cleanliness and purity.

But then, many people today wear white anyway even though they may have been living together for years.

Whatever.

• apostatethunder
    apostatethunder

That fat queen doesn't own any color, including white.

• Drearyweather
    Drearyweather

LOL, Which colour do you suggest they turn to, that doesn't have a worldly connection?

by the way, Even the modern trousers that we wear originated from the sixth century BC Greek geographers who found wearing trousers while riding horses was more comfortable than wearing togas.

• HowTheBibleWasCreated
    HowTheBibleWasCreated

Isn't this a carryover from Revelation 19 in christian weddings?

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

The whole JW notion of thinking they must set themselves apart from the world is so inconsistent. As the OP pointed out, the wearing of a white dress was a trend that Queen Victoria started so that she'd stand out and be more visible among the throngs of people at her wedding. It was also meant to signify purity and virginity.

Wearing a ring on the left hand had non Christian superstitious origins and the wearing a diamond ring specifically which came into vogue when the diamond cartel did a mass advertising campaign by giving diamond rings to celebrities and then showing this to be a trend among the rich and famous hoping that the public would try to emulate them and it worked. JW's followed suit even though they were emulating the world.

Marching down the aisle of a religious building (church) to a religious song (hymn) was a practice started in Christendom as was wearing a garter and throwing a bouquet.

JW's pick and choose what is or isn't "worldly" and ignore anything that shows their choices don't make sense.

• TD
    TD

Pretty sure Mary, Queen of Scots and a few others had white weddings

• apostatethunder
    apostatethunder

Marrying in white wasn't invented by that stupid queen.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit