A question about the contemporary generation teaching following a conversation with a JW apologist

by Giles Gray 77 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    OnTheWayOut - "Sometime in the future, when the G.B. see it is time, they will close the gates or flee to an Island with suitcases of cash and say the Great Tribulation has started..."

I've considered this possibility myself, and I actually don't have much of a problem with it.

I have a hard time imagining the WT machine being able to operate effectively without their direct presence and influence... their "celebrity status" amongst the rank-and-file is too significant a component for the Org to function without it.

I suspect that (besides the constant ego-boost) plastering their names and faces all over everything the Org cranks out has actually become a practical and necessary component in the current media-driven age.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

There's another consideration, too.

Sure, they'd (theoretically) escape secular justice, but the scenario you've described would absolutely have to be maintained...

...indefinitely and using increasingly draconian means...

...simply because no hint of their self-imposed exile could be allowed to be publicly exposed.

Doing so would reveal that...

a) ...they're cowards for hiding, instead of bravely defending their convictions the way Jesus' apostles did, and...

b) ...they're egregiously deceitful for letting the rank-and-file think they'd been "raptured" away...

...and both would too deeply undermine the Org's claims of authority and exclusivity, which can never be permitted.

No matter how comfortable they'd be, it would amount to a life sentence.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

If lying and theological bullshit (1914) established this JWS religion (Publishing house) then it becomes a paramount importance to sustain that foundation to how the organization was built upon.

The "ONLY" reason the WTS came up with the overlapping generation was because the stated generation that witnessed the events of 1914 had passed away.

There was no Great Tribulation and no Armageddon.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte
    Slimboyfat: The best a JW apologist could say, in my opinion, is that the faithful and discreet slave don’t claim to be infallible, and that understanding of this verse awaits clarification.

This is exactly what I was doing when I was in. However, when it was time to teach this to my kids, I simply could not. I could not bear the thought of teaching them non sense. So I quit.

• waton
    waton
    Guarantee they’ll have enough in offshore accounts to have to do that OTWO. Grenada here we come!!

Ds: The move from Warwick to Grenada or the Isle of Wight , from near New Jersey to Jersey would be easy, but

The wt doctrine calls for all anointed sealed partakers to be called to their heavenly reward at the outset of the Great Tribulation, not just the Governing Body, so:

how about the other 14 000? dispersed everywhere, not of the Governing Body? whose' bodies the angels also will have to dispose, off, like -- puff--gone--. and among these might be the real wt victims, with a vow of poverty.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    waton - "The wt doctrine calls for all anointed sealed partakers to be called to their heavenly reward at the outset of the Great Tribulation, not just the Governing Body, so... how about the other 144000? dispersed everywhere, not of the Governing Body?"

Interestingly, a significant portion of the Org's recent internal publications regarding rank-and-file partakers seem to have the subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) goal of smearing them as posers and/or mentally unstable.

I wonder why?

• waton
    waton
    rank-and-file partakers seem to have the subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) goal of smearing them as posers and/or mentally unstable.I wonder why?

V: If they read their bible, they should know that all should partake, regardless of origin or destiny.

2) The count in the spring equinox thing, shows that their claim "we, the exclusive truth bearer, our meetings prove that " is proven wrong by the count, if the memorial of all meetings is wrong, therefore the anointed generation taught there is wrong.

remember, wt started the OS dont partake deal, in the 1930, ~ 90 years ago, because there were too many partakers. Now, we have again too many partakers. may be

They should re-invent the secondary heavenly class, then the "everlasting life on earth" idea, when it is bound to fail, will not be held against them as false prophets.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

As I stated previously once a age group for set of generations dies then that age group can not be included in the generational set.

So now we are in a proceeding generational set that does not include the people born around 1914.

Of course thats being intellectually honest in the use and acceptance of the word generation(s), something the WTS heads have purposely played and twisted to appeal to their own want and desire.
  • Half banana
    Half banana

I find Splane’s explanation fantastical. The only persons who could believe that the Biblical word “generation” means “overlapping generations” would be brain dead zombie JWs who will die rather than disagree with the WT.

There are two groups within this cult who refuse to think; there are the administrators of the religious racket whose existence depends on the mass of believers. They have gladly inherited their roles and job number one is to shore up their own rights to control the larger group. Their function is to make their religion credible and to retain the confidence of the followers. The second group who are duty bound not to think, are the true believers who are led by the GB. (Misled is probably a better word!)

A common thread within the JW org is the normal and unquestioning practice of belief in fantasies.

For example the stories about Biblical characters are dredged up in the Watchtower all the time as examples of faith. Who is there among JWs who would stop for a moment to consider whether these men and women were real? The WT gaily trots out names such as Noah, Adam and Eve, Abraham, Moses, Isaac and Jacob, etc, as if they lived! They are archetypes or mythical persons often borrowed from other cultures but given new Hebrew names -- they are all non-historical literary personages. Once a believer has swallowed the bait of Bible faith -- anything goes, anything is possible and anything can be believed.

Once in the JW mindset, it is not difficult to shut down critical thinking, living for paradise is the goal and that means, at least in the mind of the true believer, obedience to who they are taught to respect as “God’s anointed”.

Back on the theme of Biblical words, Jesus explained clearly and unambiguously how long a generation was: namely the lifetime of a group experiencing one event. Mark 8,38 - 9,1.

Yes, as the outcome (or lack of outcome!) of these words show, the "JW generation" is just a fantasy built on top of another Bible fantasy.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Strange is it not that god's select chosen organization, now the anointed GB of the JWS have been preaching and teaching false doctrines for decades but god's holy spirit didn't jump in and correct them with new truthful light ?

Maybe the WTS GB members are not god's chosen ones ?

Maybe they proclaimed that themselves in 1919 to create their subsequent power ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit