First Visit in Years

by truth_b_known 10 Replies latest jw experiences

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

I bought a house literally in walking distance from the local Kingdom Hall. We used to get Saturday morning doorknockers on a regular basis. Then it stopped. For years.

Yesterday morning 2 Witnesses knocked on my door. The one handed me a tract which was the Memorial invitation. I was asked if I was familiar with the biblical account of the Lord's Evening Meal. I responded in the affirmative.

The one who handed me the tract asked, "Would you mind if I share with you...?"

He started to go for his bible and I thought he was going to say "scripture." Instead, to my surprise, he pulled out an iPad and said "video."

I kindly declined and wished them well. I started having visions of Witnesses knocking on people's doors with hand cranked phonographs a hundred years ago.

In addition, there was no attempt to further the conversation after I declined.

The pathetic decline is real.

• ab.ortega
    ab.ortega

It's back in style.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

They are busy counting time -- vs making time count. They don't really don't believe the end of the world is right around the corner. They're just counting time until they can go to the pub with friends.

• Ding
    Ding

I wonder if the video was a recorded message from Judge Rutherford...

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

Most of the ones who have called on me over the last six or seven years have given the impression of being only too pleased to have an excuse to " disengage the enemy, then execute an orderly withdrawal ".

Back when I actually believed in all that nonsense - including the idea that we were indeed carrying out a "Life Saving Work" - we were instructed not to take "No" for an answer.

(Hope this does not sound too much like some disgruntled old veteran complaining that "The New Guys aren't as good as We Was"!)

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

The video is some sort of highly charged, emotionally manipulative stuff with slow-motion montages of life "in a perfect world" with emotional music....

The way the society uses emotion nowadays is unbelievable!

https://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses/memorial/remember-jesus-death/

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

And to think that in the backward thinking community I grew up in as a JW, using any technology would get me a meeting with the JC. Times have changed.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

Prior to the internet being a common thing for everyone, I was heavily into the dial-up, 1200 baud rate Bulletin Board Systems (BBS). I used to county time typing posts and responses. Then we were told that's not kosher. I guess that's changed.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

OMG if I pulled out a tablet back in the day. I would of been before a JC.

• blondie
    blondie

I would have asked, do you think Jesus used a video?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit