Common phrases which are disappearing during my lifetime

by TerryWalstrom 18 Replies latest jw friends

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

I agree with _Morpheus, the tech behind the phrases may be outdated but the sayings remain.

Another one I hear all the time is "tape" in regards to recording audio and/or video, even though most everybody uses flash memory, not tape.

• sparky1
    sparky1

"The entomology may be lost on the younger generation..." - _Morpheus

You may be correct. I can't remember the last time I heard a young person say: 'Don't bug me, man!'

• scary21
    scary21

My grandfather taking to my sis and I " Are you girls going to the beer garden AGAIN "

He also said " oh horse feathers "

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

Stop The Presses.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

My favorite term from my father was "that and a dime will buy you a cup of coffee."

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

On the flip side (another old term) we still say some expressions even though they don't apply as much anymore such as:

• "Luggage" even though our suitcases have wheels on them
    • "Clockwise and Counterclockwise" even though most clocks are digital now.
    • Cc: (carbon copy) even though we don't use carbon paper anymore.
    • We still say "post something on a message board" even though the post office isn't involved nor is there an actual bulletin board.
    • We say web page even though there isn't a sheet of paper
    • Starting over with a clean slate even though no one uses chalkboards
    • We still say "step on the gas" even if we're driving a electric car.
  • Sliced
    Sliced

I love idioms and other such phrases... they do not have to die, just reinvent them.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

😂😂 auto correct got me and i wasnt paying the least bit of attention... i of course meant “etymology”

• zeb
    zeb

Of my older generation;

Well, I'll be a monkeys uncle.

(and of something a long way a way) its.."out near the black stump".

and of some one who is "not the brightest globe in the box" or for the same.."is a kangaroo loose in the top paddock".

sadly these colours of language are lost today where people and esp the young are repeating tv speak.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit