Jehovah’s Witnesses Reject Plasma Injections for COVID-19

by Rattigan350 9 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

Jehovah’s Witnesses Reject Plasma Injections for COVID-19

https://www.newsintervention.com/jehovahs-witnesses-reject-plasma-injections-covid-19/

The Jehovah’s Witnesses have issues with modern medical information because this is seen as against the tenets of the religious faith. In particular, they, for the most part or by theology, have an issue with blood transfusions.

As per the attempts to reduce the negative effects of Covid-19 to medical patients affected by Covid-19, the FDA or the Food and Drug Administration of the United States of America issued recommendations or guidelines for healthcare investigators and providers. It is based on some studies into convalescent plasma collected from Covid-19 patients who have recovered from the ill-effects of the virus.

Even with the experimental nature of the treatment, there are some circumstances under which the treatment can be considered well-advised based on some scientists and doctors using it. However, the ones for this treatment would be serious or critical cases along with the symptomatology of Covid-19.

For those with critical case symptomatology themselves or individuals with family members who are, unfortunately, suffering under the suffocating ravages of Covid-19 (coming from SARS-CoV-2), these kinds of potential treatments could – literally – save your life or the life of a loved one, or just save a life of another human being. It becomes incumbent upon us to support science, medicine, and the appropriate application in order to “do no harm.” It’s both a principle of medical professionals and civilized society, i.e., reflective of a common drive of human beings when not driven into insane circumstances.

Unfortunately, while many religious principles reflect some universal sentiments in human beings, at the time, others come out as pre-scientific understandings or rejection of modern medicine capable of helping individuals who may be suffering. One particular group, the Jehovah’s Witnesses, have been known to reject blood transfusions, as these stand against their stipulated principles of The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society. The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society is the governing or legislating body of the Jehovah’s Witnesses. This has been a strict policy since 1945.

The basis for the claim is that blood transfusions go against some divine law or ethical precepts derived from their understanding of the oughts of the world through their religious lens. Now, with the recent possibilities for critical or severe cases to be helped by the experimental treatments, the Jehovah’s Witnesses have been directed (or commanded by the legislative body) to not use them. More directly, they’re strictly forbidden, as this is Convalescent Plasma Therapy or a treatment using transfusion.

The directive from the Jehovah’s Witnesses stated:

The Blood Issue: There’s talk about the FDA allowing doctors to treat critically ill COVID-19 patients with “convalescent plasma therapy.” It would be wise to advise the publishers that it’s understood that this is giving the patient the whole plasma of the person who has developed the antibodies which would be unacceptable for Jehovah’s Witnesses.

However if the antibodies were extracted from the plasma (fractions/immunoglobulins) and then given to the patient, it would be a conscience matter for Jehovah’s Witnesses. Some doctors may view plasma as a fraction. Therefore the publisher may need to explain their personal decision not to accept any of the blood’s four main components, one of them being plasma.

This is a serious public health issue for which the lives of some members of the public religion becomes a public health hazard. As we see with the prevention within the directives (theological and faith-based in character), individuals cannot use the treatments, as they are forbidden, without consequence. If they use it, then the fear of the wrath of the legislative body, as representative of God, can come down like a ton of bricks. It is, as James Randi noted to me, based on fear. If an individual uses the blood or plasma, then they will become “Disassociated” from the community and will not be permitted contact from their own families.

Theology trumps medicine here.

Scott Douglas Jacobsen

https://www.in-sightjournal.com

Assistant Editor, News Intervention,
    Human Rights Activist.

Scott Douglas Jacobsen is the Founder of In-Sight: Independent Interview-Based Journal and In-Sight Publishing. He focuses on North America for News Intervention. Jacobsen works for science and human rights, especially women’s and children’s rights. He considers the modern scientific and technological world the foundation for the provision of the basics of human life throughout the world and advancement of human rights as the universal movement among peoples everywhere. You can contact Scott via email, his website, or Twitter.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

This is confusing, I thought individual 'parts' of the blood (eg. plasma) were allowed, but not whole blood. At least that was the case before I stopped carrying my "blood card" (about 15y before I left the JW). At that point, fractions were "medical technology developed specifically for JW" wholly allowed and not a 'conscience matter'.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Apparently plasma is considered one of the four main components of blood which divine law prohibits..... despite the fact that every element of plasma, including water, albumin proteins etc. are on the Watchtower acceptable list.

Make sense of that.

• EverApostate
    EverApostate

Another lethal, twisted, ridiculous, Pseudo Scientific non sense.

• Earnest
    Earnest

The article suggests that the following in italics is a Watchtower directive:

The Blood Issue: There’s talk about the FDA allowing doctors to treat critically ill COVID-19 patients with “convalescent plasma therapy.” It would be wise to advise the publishers that it’s understood that this is giving the patient the whole plasma of the person who has developed the antibodies which would be unacceptable for Jehovah’s Witnesses.

However if the antibodies were extracted from the plasma (fractions/immunoglobulins) and then given to the patient, it would be a conscience matter for Jehovah’s Witnesses. Some doctors may view plasma as a fraction. Therefore the publisher may need to explain their personal decision not to accept any of the blood’s four main components, one of them being plasma.

I doubt it.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

If you separate the antibodies it is suddenly ok. So it must have to do with dilution....cut it with saline.

Is copper based blood from aliens safe?

• John Redwood
    John Redwood

It appears that Scott Davidson lifted the JW directive directly from my JW Survey article.

https://jwsurvey.org/news/jehovahs-witnesses-denied-plasma-treatment-amid-coronavirus-pandemic

Unless I am missing something, he did not quote JW Survey or mention that I was quoting from a leaked Circuit Overseer letter.

He is opening himself up to heavy criticism by citing something as fact with no backing foundation. Earnest is right to question the validity of this quote, as there's no foundation or reference.

The bottom line is that the letter and quote is real, but when someone reports on this kind of information they MUST provide a narrative explaining where the information came from. Then the reader can go back to the source and question my article, demand confirmation or an explanation for why I posted the text of the quote and not the entire letter itself.

Question everything- including ourselves.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Some more wacko mumbo jumbo blood doctrine.

• Earnest
    Earnest

Thanks, John Redwood. I have read your article in JW Survey and find it convincing. It makes more sense to me that this directive comes via a Circuit Overseer rather than directly from the Watchtower Society. It is not that it is contrary to Society policy but it is not the way I am accustomed to the Watchtower Society expressing themselves.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

If one of the heavies in the Borg gets the virus and needs the treatment, there will be Noo Light faster than refried beans passing through a goat.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit