Even Non-JW's Recall 1975

by snugglebunny 12 Replies latest jw friends

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

Last night. Pub quiz. 12 teams, somewhere in darkest England.

Category: Eternal flame. Question1. Which religion foretold that 1975 would mark the start of the Battle of Armageddon and that the small number of survivors would go on to enjoy eternal life?

7 teams answered Jehovah's witnesses

2 teams answered Mormons

1 team answered the Aztecs

1 team answered Exeter City FC

1 team left the question blank

Quite what should be made of that is something that I shall ponder over for a while..

• Heaven
    Heaven

My former team lead worked with a guy who was a JW back then. This JW sold his house and quit his job in 1975 anticipating the coming of Armageddon. So there are those who were not JWs that knew JWs at that time and watched the JW craziness from the sidelines. Guess that guy had to find a new house and a new job.

• alanv
    alanv

I broke my apprenticeship and regular pioneered while living with my non JW parents. My dad wanted the same rent from me even though I only worked two days a week. He certainly would not have had a good word to say about a religion that encouraged me to do that.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

Who the eff is Exeter City FC? (...and it's Arsenal...)

I remember in the early 90's going door-to-door with my dad. The lady who answered the door brought up 1975. My dad got rather animated and stated it was never in print.

Riddle me this, dad - How would someone not associated with JWs know about the 1975 scandal that took place over 15 years prior?

• zeb
    zeb

by all the witnessing I guess..

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny
    Who the eff is Exeter City FC? (...and it's Arsenal...)

Well the question on the opposite side of the page was about which Football league manager was the second longest serving the same club and what team did he still manage. I guess he ran one answer into another.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

Wikipedia: WT prediction were held for the arrival of Armageddon in 1975 but later

apologized to members by the GB. So it seems like everyone knows about the prediction

except the JW. LOL

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I asked my husband, from a non western, non English-language country, third world, and it was kind of a joke and disgrace, even way over there. He has no animosity to JWs, but told me that it was joked about. He worked at Pakistan international airlines in the years leading up to it but never left Pakistan before 1978 or so. And yes, JWs do their JW thing there.

• John Free
    John Free

I had a customer who remembered her JW colleague warning her that the end would come in 1975. She said they marked DEC 31st on the office calendar. That brother is still alive and still in the borg. I can't wait until I see him next :-D

• HB
    HB

I have never been a JW, nor any of my family, but I knew about 1975 because when I was a teenager, my parents had a young JW employee who came to work for the family business in the late 1960s.

It was a plant nursery and the employee explained he would need to know how to grow things in the paradise that would exist when the current world order ended.

In December 1974 he handed in his notice, telling my parents that he was sad that he would not see them again and begged them to come to the KH, but they were not the least bit interested or worried. He was very socially awkward and never spoke to my sister or me and kept his eyes lowered if we passed by or brought him a cup of tea.

I assume he did full time door knocking during 1975. His parents sold their large house and donated the money to the Watchtower and all the large family moved into a caravan.

Needless to say, in January 1976, he came to ask for his job back, but he rarely spoke about his religion after that.

I recall my parents laughing with their friends at how crazy his ideas were, and although I had no more brushes with JWs until 2008 (when a young friend was sucked in so I joined this site for advice), I never forgot the date of 1975.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit