A group of 136 countries set a minimum global tax rate of 15% for big corporations

by Disillusioned JW 29 Replies latest social current

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Anony Mous, I noticed that your said the following. "Name a government program that is self funded or profitable. There is none." The USA federal government's postal system is entirely self funded and receives no tax money. Right?

• GabeAthouse
    GabeAthouse
    causes potential employees to stay at home

mmm hmmm. I know when I got that $1200 check, I was very tempted to just quit my job and stay at home. Maybe summer in the Riviera...become a man of leisure.

• GabeAthouse
    GabeAthouse

How about we just let the red states leave?

Im tired of my tax dollars helping Trumpland every time a hurricane floods their trailer park.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Yesterday (August 12, 2022) the USA House of Representatives passed the The Inflation Reduction Act. It passed the USA Senate earlier in the week. It included a minimum tax rate of 15% for big corporations, thus closing some corporate tax loopholes. This is another example of Biden and the Democratic Party accomplishing their agenda - one in which I approve of.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

The USA federal government's postal system is entirely self funded and receives no tax money

Are you being sarcastic or am I missing something?

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-senate-approves-50-billion-postal-service-relief-bill-2022-03-08/

The USPS is being bailed out repeatedly, you can look at the history and every spending cycle there are several billions. Moreover, they are the ONLY corporation in the US that hasn’t had to fund their own benefit and pension funds, instead these costs are carried by the tax payer every chance they get.

According to the USPS: USPS cannot fund its current level of services and financial obligations from its revenues.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

included a minimum tax rate of 15% for big corporations

It also included a much larger tax hike on the 50,000-200,000 brackets, it is calculated by the Senate’s own taxation committee, the average American will soon be paying approximately $4T extra (about $10-15k/person more, meaning a family of 4 will have to pay close to $6k more per year in taxes) which will go fully into effect by the time Biden gets out of office.

Things such as capital gains taxes (which is basically a tax on your pension funds), making death a taxable event, any income is now fully taxed (so if you sell something on eBay or collect rent, there are no longer any deductions) and deductions such as business losses are permanently limited, excise taxes of 1900% on drug sales. Those are all taxes that INDIVIDUALS will pay, especially at the lower end, besides the taxes that businesses now will have to pass through resulting in massive inflation and unemployment.
  • MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

Talking about paying a "fair share" is just bullshit. The mafia is going around collecting protection money and your response is to make sure some of the larger local businesses pay a bit more. The problem is that the mafia shouldn't take anyone's money - it's theft.

Corporations do not pay taxes, people do. You might steal ... err, collect... the money from the corporations, but they don't actually pay, people do. Either prices rise, production falls, or the employees absorb the cost (lower wages or even less jobs).

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

I wasn't being sarcastic at all. I was saying what I was convinced of as being true. Years ago a postal clerk told me that and later I verified its accuracy on the internet. The government (congress?) does regulate how much the post office can charge for postage (and votes on proposed names for post office branches), but the post office raises their own money (through what they charge in postage and fees) to their customers. Perhaps I am in error about the post office's finances, but I meant what I said.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

@Disillusioned: that is indeed the image that certain groups want to shape of the USPS, nevertheless, the USPS is deeply in debt, which is funded by the tax payer off course. They do funny tricks with the books, such as lending against their pension funds (which would be illegal for any other corporation in the US) and then having Congress bail out the pension fund, so it looks like they run even when they in fact raid the assets they promised their employees. The pension fund alone, due to unions is $120B in debt and missed their last 2 $60B payment (so they are actually closer to 2-300B in debt. The post office deficit from running services is $10B/year. Effectively the revenue to the post office needs to double or even quadruple overnight without increasing spending, this would make it cheaper to send most mail through FedEx or UPS.

I’m sure you heard about the electric vehicle boondoggle that they are forced to buy. The postmaster generals say it won’t work, yet Congress purchased millions of dollars worth of vehicles that have no infrastructure to charge. All those things come out of our pockets.

If you wonder why the politicians keep lying about the post office, look at the plans they have for it. Janet Yellen proposed the USPS to run a federal bank. They would use the deposits to fund government spending. It’s an endless bucket of money that nobody has the guts to just outright say: you’re on your own now, go compete like UPS and FedEx do because they’d be broke in a month.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

A good mail service us one of the few things a government should enable.

Some of the other things b eing done will have to wait and see. Reduced deductions? Ebay income? ( yard sales too?) 87000 new IRS employees willing to use guns?

All left Is brown shirts and lightning insignia.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit