If death is a natural occurrence in the human species, why are we born with the innate feeling to continue living indefinitely?

by Tenacious 28 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cofty
    cofty
    Creatures that don't have a very strong instinct for self preservation don't become ancestors.
  • 2+2=5
    2+2=5
    I don't know the answer but it must have something to do with Jesus.
  • steve2
    steve2
    The seductiveness of 'living forever' goes beyond religion to our favorite fairy stories: "And they lived happily ever after..."
  • redvip2000
    redvip2000

I'll speak for myself. I do want to live forever. I know many of you here are at peace with, and even prefer to eventually die, but i don't.

I find it incredibly sad to not exist. There aren't enough hours in the day for me to do all of the things I wanna do. Yes i don't know how I would feel in about 100 bdszsillions years, but I can only say that for now, i do have the desire to live forever, regardless of not being possible.

• Heaven
    Heaven
    When you reach 80+ years old, and your physical and mental abilities are starting to really fail, tell us again how much you want to continue living indefinitely. I think by that time you may have changed your mind.
  • ttdtt
    ttdtt

Its simply a mechanism for self preservation - just like why you get out of the way of a bus.

If living forever is a natural thing - why is NOTHING built to last forever - including the universe?

Why are we so poorly built? Just about anything can kill us. 71% of the earth's surface could kill you in about 4 minutes (oceans). You can't be outside without protection on about 70% of the rest of the earth's surface without dying from exposure in a matter of a few days at most. I could go on and on and on.

• Freeandclear
    Freeandclear

Well well my favorite topic. haha

The JW dream, that of living as a perfect young person with vibrant health on a paradise earth with none of the badness and evil hurtful things that are our reality now is certainly the most pleasant dream I can think of. Who would NOT want to live forever under those circumstances? To be truly free? Free from worry, hunger, disease, violence...nothing but pure peace and happiness forever and ever? Not to mention a sexy young wife or husband to share your forever with...imagine perfect sex, perfect food, perfect contentment with all and everything around you. I for one would absolutely love to have that life forever.

That said, I no longer believe in the Dream. It was nice while it lasted but I find now there is simply no proof for it whatsoever in my mind.

We as humans have the unique ability to look into the future with our imagination and we see our own deaths looming on the horizon and it terrifies us, and so we invented God, religion and purpose. This is as simple as I can think to put it.

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

I don't know why so many humans long to live forever but I have always wondered if it was the price we paid for evolving into self-aware humans.

I agree that animals also fear death when they are threatened, but it is kind of hard to know if they fear natural death because they wonder if they have been "good enough" little critters to make it into Jehoho's paradise. Fear of destruction or hell or anything else fantasized as unpleasant puts a whole new twist onto the fear factor.

Lots of things in life are hard to accept, but death probably is the hardest. I have heard though, that the closer you get to your own death (by aging naturally), the more you accept it and become more at peace with it. Who knows if that is because they believe they are going off to somewhere better, like heaven or paradise, or wherever.

If you logically think about it, though, our bodies were not made to live forever. There is not one biological thing that exists that lasts forever and never dies. So, either death has always been a natural occurrence of the human species, or when "Adam and Eve sinned" in the Garden of Eden, Jehovah decided to impose death on all living creatures in the Universe instead of just humans, but really doesn't make any sense ... for any fairy tale.

• baker
    baker
    When my partners dies, then Im ready to go too. Too old to start over, so just gonna move over the next system, if it exist and start over, big IF...
  • Simon
    Simon

Because the creatures that decide they want to die for some reason didn't survive as a species.

Our main urges are self-preservation, sustenance (food and warmth) and reproduction. Everything a species needs to survive.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit