Arrangements for Electronic Donations to Local Congregations

by wifibandit 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Has anyone found out if any of the owners of iVerticle are Witnesses?

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

I swear our dead uber parents are definitely rolling over in their graves!

• bamse
    bamse
    w
  • stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

What happened to those well known scriptures:

"you received free, give free"

"no one shall give under obligation, for god loves a cheerful giver"

Huh?

• skin
    skin

From last weeks WT study, para 9.

9 What is the record of Jehovah’s Witnesses regarding collections? Their work is supported by voluntary donations. (2 Cor. 9:7) No collections are taken at their Kingdom Halls or conventions.

Why did this WT study not detail the many other ways JW.org guilt us into giving them money? At least we know from this very WT study, that when the churches of Christendom ask for money, apparently they are doing it for the wrong reasons!!?

• hoser
    hoser
    I'm glad I got out of the accounts servant job a number of years ago. Just more meaningless work.
  • aboveusonlysky
    aboveusonlysky

"No collections are taken at their Kingdom Halls or conventions."

In the UK the org sets an amount per publisher per day for circuit assemblies to be paid by the congregations, a motion is made and a show of hands is taken at a midweek meeting for this contribution and many more contributions demanded by the org. To question this at the time would be highly embarrassing so most people just put their hand up. One question a lot of jdubs have in private is why an assembly hall built and paid for by the brothers costs considerably more than just hiring another hall.

If the desired amounts are not received through the contribution boxes the advice from the c.o. would be to give a local needs, you vowed therefore it's a sin not to pay. So more guilt tripping.

How the org can claim the higher moral ground over Christendom is beyond me, thankfully moreand more jdubs are starting to question where all their money is going.

• kramer
    kramer

The Old Testament precedent is tithing, for some strange reason, the org have decided not to point this out. All of the posts above do nothing to knock the simple option of being able to donate by plastic cards, what is the problem with that?

• James Jack
    James Jack

I am the Accounts Servant in a Southern U.S. State, no announcement about this arrangement yet.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

Yesterday, I went to a funeral held in a church. For the first time, I gave a donation: their building and personnel were at our disposition. Buildings need maintenance, people need food and I’m not a free loader.

While I did this, my JW mother in law complained: "Pfff... JW don't charge a thing... Catholics beg even at funerals. Shame on them." I didn't have the right one-liner to rebuke her, so I simply kept silent.

Still, I was thinking of this: Over the years, I attended at least 15 Catholic funerals where I never gave a penny. Never felt forced to do so; it’s just a method of collecting funds. Not my personal favorite, but still, no one is forced to give anything. On the other hand, JWs take recurrent payments on credit cards and are instructed to vote on a minimum donation. They focus so much on the "collection plate" that they forget all the talks, articles and admonitions to make regular payments, to give loans and set up wills in their favor. If they reply: Yeah, but no one is forced to, they still can give cash in the donation boxes. Than the same can be said of the Catholics. You may refuse to give in the "collection plate" and then, walk to the back and give donations in a donation box!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit