Taking the Bible Lessons And Going To a KH For First Time

by Cold Steel 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

I've taken the Bible Lessons but have never attended a Kingdom Hall. I was curious as to what point they begin to tighten the screws of control? Let's say you're a Baptist. At what point do they tell you that you can't attend other churches or read anything critical of the Society?

Also, do they print any "how to" advice on how to bring these things up with those investigating "the Truth"? Have any of you guys had to broach these topics with a new or potential convert? What do they say? I've tried to imagine how one would bring up things like this and shunning to a new member or potential convert. I mean, there's a man or woman who's being shunned right there in the Hall. You think a visitor won't notice? Or what happens if a visitor just approaches the person been shunned and introduces himself? Do the handlers say, "Hey, we're not talking to that person!"

So can anyone help me out on this? These are tough subjects to broach. Do you wait until they're baptized before you start unloading these things on them? And when do they become subject to being shunned?

• Londo111
    Londo111

Prepare for boredom!

It's a low and slow process. There are outsider doctrines that are more acceptable and insider doctrines which are harder to swallow. When JWs are questioned about things like DFing, they will spin and word things with a spoonful of sugar.

Newcomers are lovebombed....so a visitor will believe these are the nicest, friendliest people on earth. It's only once a person is dunked that things change.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

ehh ? you joined this site 10 years ago--posted 100's of times--but managed to avoid attending a kingdumb hall in that time. wow

why ?

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel
    you joined this site 10 years ago--posted 100's of times--but managed to avoid attending a kingdumb hall in that time. wow

Mostly physical, I'm afraid. I went over the handle bars of my bicycle back in 2001 and don't get out much anymore...not even to my own church. I took the lessons just to see what they were like. Didn't tell them I'm a Mormon convert, but they kept pushing. I told them I wanted to find out what was right about their beliefs and not what is wrong with mine. Still, they continued on until they promised to stay on track.

So I told them. And the rest of the lesson went smoothly. Ah, but the next time they came, they brought an elder who I suppose had read a few anti-Mormon books. The other guy kept quiet while the elder (who sat on the edge of his seat the entire time and glowered at me menacingly) grilled me about Mormon beliefs. I didn't mind, but I told them both I was willing to continue providing we stay on topic.

Never saw either of them again. But I found this site and have been kicking around ever since. It explained why a branch of the family fell off the side of the earth after joining the JWs. It's an interesting sect, but no, never got to a KH.

Doesn't sound like a place I'd be comfortable being.

• Chook
    Chook

Cold steel

if in any way your journey is with another person eg wife ,children the mental dangers you will be exposing them to IS unacceptable . We are talking the smoothest sales pitch, honed over a hundred years . They ,WT have seduced some of the most cynical minds . By attending the KH you are waisting some of your valuable life . We all here have told you the stove is hot and we will be here to apply the bandage ,but we prefer our friends don't get burnt in the first place.

• LevelThePlayingField
    LevelThePlayingField

Like what was said, it's after you convert to be an actual JW and get baptized as one (usually takes 8 months to 2 years depending on the person) that they will put the thumb screws to you.

See, as long as you are actually NOT one of Jehovah's Witnesses yet, they really can't do anything official to you. They won't shun you for the most part, they won't hold things against you that are forbidden. But once you take the dunk as Londo111 said, then they have a reason to enforce all of their prohibitions against you.

For example, say you are smoker. They won't say a whole lot about it. They might mention that JW's don't smoke. They will probably show the scripture for that (2 Co 7:1) "to remove all defilement of the flesh" and then just move on and "let you decide what you want to do with it".

But once you are baptized "all of that", many other things, are supposed to be taken care of and done with, including celebrating the holidays of any kind for whatever reason. If you were to smoke again and someone noticed it, then they would report you to the elders and they would have a judicial committee with you. That's where they determine if you are really repentant about this "gross sin" that you have committed and if you are then they just tell the whole congregation that you "have been reproved". But if the elders don't feel that you are really sorry about smoking then they disfellowship you and announce that you, "are no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses" and then no one who is a JW will talk to you, greet you or have anything to do with you forever, unless you sit at the hall for at least 8 months to a year "in silence" and then write a letter to the same elders and tell them how so sorry you are and that such a thing will never happen again. Then after the waiting period of say 8 months to a year or maybe longer, they will meet with you and you'll have to explain to them that you no longer smoke, hate such a thing and that you have read all the Watchtowers for each meeting and have studied them for such meetings and am ready to be "reinstated" back into the congregation if the loving body of elders see such as you do too.

Then and only when the elders are satisfied to your true repentance can you get back into the congregation. Yes, you may attend all the meetings but no one will speak to you. They will ignore you completely and only after the elders have removed their disfellowshipping from you can you then be announced that, "so and so has been reinstated as one of Jehovah's Witnesses." And then even after that, people in the congregation will still be a little shy towards you, at least for a while because they don't know what you were disfellowshipped for in the first place. It could be anything. So after you get out to their door knocking for a month or so, then they will open up to you more.

I know this is quite a lot of info here. But just be aware of where you are treading, as the previous posts have brought out. It's all rosy and "full of paradise" from the door step, but once you become "one of us" then they change the tune a little.

Knowledge is power.

• cofty
    cofty

Mormon cult v JW cult

No difference.

• berrygerry
    berrygerry
    11 minutes ago
    Mormon cult v JW cult
    No difference.

Not true.

Mormons are a far, far smarter cult.

On a cult scale:

Scientology. 9.5

JW / WT 9.0

Mormon. 7.0

• cofty
    cofty

Magic pants, lies about American history, lies about gold plates, lies about human origins. Established by a convicted fraudster. It's a cult.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel
    Cofty » Mormon cult v JW cult. No difference.

You mean like Communism v. Atheism. No difference.

Magic pants, lies about American history, lies about gold plates, lies about human origins. Established by a convicted fraudster. It's a cult.

Mere tripe. We teach nothing about magic pants, nor do we lie about gold plates (none of which had ever been discovered when the Book of Mormon story came out (1830). Joseph Smith was never convicted of being a fraud, but I concede Mormonism was a cult in the precise sense that first century Christianity was.

Lies about human origins has yet to be established. And that's where the sore spot is with you and all religion.

Chook » They ,WT have seduced some of the most cynical minds . By attending the KH you are waisting some of your valuable life . We all here have told you the stove is hot and we will be here to apply the bandage ,but we prefer our friends don't get burnt in the first place.

Thanks, Chook. You, too, Level.

Don't worry. I've been here for ten years and the JWs aren't about to entice me with anything. Their fatal flaw is that they believe God has chosen them when God has not even been in touch with them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit