Thirty years a tower slave

by rickroll 7 Replies latest watchtower bible

• rickroll
    rickroll

I was with my Brother in law when we were in service and given this book. I have posted on this before but it got me to thinking. It was taken from us by the local elder we talk to about it. I bought an original copy from 56 on eBay for 3 bucks in very good condition. Its only 200 pages so not a long read. I figured it was time I finally read it. Anyone read this book? I read Evens book about leaving and it was a bit laborious for me. Any insight what to expect.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

If you mean Thirty Years a Watchtower Slave I read it when I was sixteen. My sixteen-year-old true believer self at the time thought the author was very bitter. I haven't looked at it since so my view might be quite different now.

My mother was horrified I brought it home from the library but it's just a shame it took me another 14 years to leave.

• sir82
    sir82

There's tons of reviews of it on Amazon - that should give you a pretty good idea of what to expect.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=thirty+years+a+watchtower+slave&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

• Introvert 2
    Introvert 2

Read it and liked it, consider it an insider's account.

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

Read it back in 1973 when I was still a JW and an elder. Though I found Schnell's book interesting, it didn't have the wake up effect like Crisis of Conscience. I first read C Of C in March 1984 and six months later I resigned as an elder and began my fade.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I read "Thirty years A Watchtower Slave " probably in the seventies ? and I thought it was just an ex JW who had an axe to grind and wasn`t that impressed .

I also read C of C sometime in the mid to late eighties ? and thought Ray franz was another disgruntled witness who didn` get the same recognition as Fred franz did .

I just wasn`t ready to see TTATT at those times.

But around 1993 I did see TTATT mainly for little niggly things that were bugging me and of course the internet which had a huge impact.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Doesn't Schnell's book end by saying something like if he saw the predictions from JW's about 1975 and Armageddon come true he would not be surprised ? if I am thinking about the right book ?

If so, he, or the Author of the book I am thinking about, lost all credibility with us JW's who read it at the time. If he had spent more effort, and found out and exposed the JW teachings as being in error, he would have done some good, and maybe I would have got out Decades earlier !

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Yes Scnell's book was impacting on me. But nothing like Crisis of Conscience or In Search of Christian Freedom by Ray Franz.

Actually, it was In Search of Christian Freedom which had the most influence over any 'apostate' literature including CoC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit