2 + 2 = 5?! lol

by LoveUniHateExams 16 Replies latest social current

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

Postmodernism: Nothing is objectively true.

Reality: What about that statement you just made - is it objectively true that everything is subjective?

Postmodernism: Tomahawk

Reality: I see....

• Simonsez
    Simonsez

Cofty historically gender and biological sex are not identical . Many ancient cultures had very fluid gender roles . For example Romans and Native Americans. I will post.references below. I agree that genetically you can not change your biological sex . However gender roles are much less cut and dry. I don't claim to understand how people emotionally accept these alternate roles but they do.

https://blogs.baylor.edu/genderidentity/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-spirit

So you see gender fluidity is not a modern concept.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

The french language is very strict about this. There is no " it" - that's right, a voiture (car) is referred to as elle (she) and a chien (dog) is referred to as il (he).

Arabic goes even further. You is divided up into five pronouns:

anta - you (singular, masculine)

anti - you (singular, feminine)

antum - you (plural, masculine)

antunna - you (plural, feminine)

antumaa - you two

And they has three pronouns:

hum - they (masculine)

hunna - they (feminine)

humaa - them two

I like Arabic because it reinforces the gender binary. ;)

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard
    However gender roles are much less cut and dry.

What do gender “roles” have to do with this? The claim is trans men ARE men. And trans women ARE women.

• TD
    TD
    The french language is very strict about this. There is no " it" and no "das". You are either female or just male without the "fe". hence le " oh la la. "

So what is the gender of the noun, féminisme (feminism) in French?

How about the noun, masculinité (masculinity)?

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

@Simonsez: Perhaps you should read a bit further than whatever the CNN/wokecrowd shovels forward:

The term two spirit was adopted ... in 1990 at the third annual Native American/First Nations gay and lesbian conference ... The decision to adopt this new, pan-Indian term was deliberate, with a clear intention to distance themselves from non-Native gays and lesbians, as well as from non-Native terminology like berdache, "gay", "lesbian", and "trans".

Not all cultures will perceive two-spirits the same way, or welcome a pan-Indian term to replace the terms already in use by their cultures. Additionally, not all contemporary Indigenous communities are supportive of their gender-variant and non-heterosexual people now.

What's more, the same page on Wikipedia has a list of words natives actually use to identify homosexuals which is generally "male who acts as a woman" or some other term that clearly sets forward a dysfunction from the gender binary.

As for the blog post you linked to, the closest the writer could get is that homosexuality was sometimes written about, generally denigrated, in Roman culture and that sometimes women could have the same rights as sons if no and then only until a male heir was produced. That is NOT the same as gender dysphoria, the Bible has the same provision in some cases where no male heirs are present, that does not mean those people take on a different gender.

I do understand homosexuality has always existed and people with severe mental illness have as well, but that does not mean it was ever normalized.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

" Postmodernism is a mind virus which erodes people's ability to think and reason. It should always be exposed for the trash it is." Wise words from the O.P.

It is so time wasting when people try to promote what is nonsense, there are plenty of things for Science and Philosophy etc. to grapple with that will really make a difference to human existence when the problems are solved. Nonsense slows this process down, thanks for calling it out !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit