(A Childhood Memory) THE MYSTERY OF THE LOCKED CABINET

by TerryWalstrom 13 Replies latest jw experiences

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

THE MYSTERY OF THE LOCKED CABINET

When I was about 10 years old, there was a tall, white handmade cabinet back in one of our storage sheds (a converted chicken house from back in the 30's, when my grandparents raised chickens in the Great Depression). Affixed to its door, there was a big padlock on the cabinet. I asked what was inside and was politely informed, it was none of my business. Oh--okay.

One day, rummaging around in boxes and crates, I found a large ring of keys (like a custodian carries on his belt) containing maybe a hundred different kinds of keys. I decided or speculated one of those keys simply MUST be the key to the mysterious white enamel cabinet in the shed. A boy's mind is quick to conspire toward mischief; especially the forbidden kind.

The temperature was well over a hundred the day I sneaked in and began eliminating possibilities.
    I lasted about half an hour and almost fainted before giving up.
    The next day and the one after, I doggedly returned and went at it again and again.

Then, about the time my grandfather was due to pull in the driveway, I hit paydirt!
    The lock opened with a smart snap! Boy, was I excited!

The sun was about to set behind the pecan trees and few dozen mosquitoes and spiders cut loose in disarray to discourage my illicit enterprise. I opened the door to that cabinet and it swung smartly on well-oiled hinges without a squeak.
    Like the timing in a soap opera, no sooner had the doors opened wide when my grandfather, who had ordered me to stay out of that shed, drove up and parked right outside. (Jiggers, the cops!)

My heart was thumping like Gene Krupa's snares and I struggled to breathe in the incinerating heat. I was fighting off panic and the animal urge to bolt and save my bacon.
    My grandfather came from Old School discipline tempered by Old Testament injunctions.
    I would probably be stoned to death or beheaded if apprehended in my malfeasance.

As luck would have it, my grandfather headed straight for the main residence and I was left alone in the semi-darkness. I stared and waited.

My eyes grew wide with wonderment as I fought off the imponderable importance of my discovery. I mean, I knew what I was looking at but I didn't know why it was there so beautifully and reverentially preserved in that hand-crafted white cabinet.
    As my eye adjusted to the creeping curtain of darkness, there could be no mistake about the revelation of the cabinet's contents.

An incredible frisson of excitement and shame filled my emotions as I beheld what surely must have been white silk, hand tailored into an overgarment consisting of something like a choirmaster might wear with draped sleeves. Then it became obvious. The hood with the eye holes carefully sewn in and impeccably tailored bright red letters affixed to the breast of the garment: K K K.

A decade later, when alone with my grandfather, out for a Sunday drive, I flat out dropped the question on him.
    "Why was there a KKK robe preserved in that white cabinet in the shed, Paw Paw?"
    His head sort of jerked a bit like a bee had stung him. He recovered quickly.

"Back during the Depression, down the street here, there's the Katy railroad which you've heard every day and night of your life with rumbling railcars and sharp whistles sounded at the crossings. Those freight trains brought more than clatter and whistles. They dumped dangerous men, too. Men road the rails to escape the consequences of crimes they committed to keep their body and soul alive. There was no work anywhere to be had and desperate men do desperate deeds."

I cut my eyes to the side and watched him slightly askance. He was a shy man. He never looked anybody in the eye when he spoke to them. He was forthright and not one to mince words, however. I'd get the true truth and no food coloring added for cosmetic purposes.

"Those bums, tramps, and tattered desperadoes would stay put in Hobo towns where there would be drinking, gambling, fighting, and conspiracies hatched toward burglary and mischief. So, local neighborhoods formed local chapters of Ku Klux Klan to surprise and terrorize them into flight out of our town."

I had to ask and I did--"What about Black people?"

"Bad men can be any color. Same with good. But a bum can be dangerous if he ends up living at the end of your street next to the railroad. We got rid of everybody."

I didn't like the sound of that very much. I asked, "How did you get rid of everybody?"
    He didn't bat an eye when he answered.

We surrounded them and suddenly appeared with shotguns, army sabers, barbed wire, and we told them exactly what kinds of torture they were in for if they weren't out of town by morning. We cursed them, threatened and bullied them because these were very very hardened men accustomed to the worst life has to offer. The idea was to demonstrate we were capable of atrocities IF they didn't listen. It was all showboat and greasepaint acting. We never hurt but one guy who tried to attack. I shot down at his feet and the bullet ricocheted into his calf. We hauled him away like we were going to hang him but we drove him to Peter Smith charity hospital.

Nobody was ever a problem after one of our demonstrations. The Ku Klux Klan was as good or as bad as the men in each chapter. We used the horrible fear of it for own purposes in keeping our neighborhood free of criminals. That's all there was to it."

I paused to ruminate on his words for a while. I let it all sink in. I only asked one last question.

"Why did you preserve that robe so carefully and tenderly in that shed. The shed looks like you must have built it special by hand and painted with white enamel. Why?"

He snorted with a kind of silly laugh of his. He glanced at me with a flicker in his eye.
    "That's because my mother sewed it for me with her own hands and it was the finest robe in the whole Klan."

Well, what could I say to that? A Mother's Love and the KKK, what a remarkable collaboration!

The year I opened that cabinet must have been about 1956.

Terry Walstrom

• wasone
    wasone

When I was probably younger than your 10 years I found a photo of my grandad and a much younger dad both

dressed in white hooded robes. When I asked about it, they hurried to remove it from my view. They said that it

was supposed to be secret and that they were no longer involved with that. Recently I mentioned this experience

to my younger sister and she seemed surprised and had no idea. Makes one wonder what other things we never

knew about.

• under the radar
    under the radar

Another amazing story, Terry. Thank you so much for posting it.

That comment your granddad made about the Klan being "as good or as bad as the men in each chapter" hit home. I don't want to start a firestorm, but if one looks into the actual history of the Klan and its founding members without prejudice or preconceptions, it's clear that the organization's original purpose was soon perverted and it morphed into an excuse and a cover for all kinds of evil. Most of the original members, including founder Nathan Bedford Forrest, were horrified by this and formally disassociated and distanced themselves from it early on.

I do not claim to be an expert of Klan history, and I'm certainly no apologist for it. I have never had any personal contact with the Klan or any Klan member (that I know of). I only know of my late father's impression of the Klan, based entirely on his own experience of growing up in the deep South in the 1930's. He told me several times that he had never even heard of Klan members in his area harassing black people. He said they didn't "come out" very often, but when they did it was to deal with "white trash." This mainly meant wife-beaters and "sorry" white men who wouldn't support their families and drank up whatever money they could occasionally scrape together. My dad said it usually only took one "visit." The offender would be confronted by several fierce-looking men wearing their Klan robes, sometimes with torches and ropes in hand. He would be warned, "Don't make us come back!" On the rare occasions when a second visit was necessary, it usually involved a beating or a thrashing with a rope or whip. He said he never heard of anyone being killed, much less being strung up.

My dad was the most honest and straightforward man I've ever known, so I simply accept his statements at face value. By that I mean that I believe he believed what he said, but I cannot know whether his impressions were accurate or not, even considering only what the Klan did in that small rural area in that narrow time frame. After all, he could not have known everything they did. He could only know of the stories he heard, and how the Klan was generally viewed when and where he was growing up.

Another family story has it that one of my mother's brothers once saw what he thought were Klan robes among their father's (my maternal grandfather's) belongings in an old steamer trunk. My grandmother told him never to ask or tell anyone else about it. No one knows whether it was actually my grandfather's or possibly his father's. There are absolutely no family stories about that robe or anything else that could be remotely connected with Klan activities. My grandfather died when I was an infant, but I sure wish I could have asked him about that. Whatever stories there were have been lost to history.

Sometimes, I think there are family cupboards that are better left unopened.

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

I grew up in Fort Worth, Texas pre-Civil Rights era. My grandmother and grandfather reared me; especially my grandmother who came from Baton Rouge, Louisana.

Looking back, I can see there was not a prejudiced bone in her body. She pointed things out to me and tried to explain the situation black people (called Negroes) were living in.

Each city had a "color line" or ghetto area. It was invisible, yet known by all. My grandparent's house was less than half a mile from two sides of the color barrier territory. I spent a lot of time walking. I walked every place for miles and miles. I spent a considerable amount of time in the "black" side of town. I had no fear of it whatsoever.

When I turned 14, it was 1961. The color line had broken loose and black people were moving out of their ghetto into "white" neighborhoods. How? Proxies were buying the houses from real estate companies who knew how to keep people of color out--except--now it was impossible to know.

White Panic commenced! It was known as "White Flight" because white families were flying out of their neighborhoods close to the color line like their tail feathers were on fire.

Where did those White People go? The expanded into the suburbs to the South and the West of Tarrant County. The vacuum was quickly filled.

So too in my neighborhood. I lived at 709 E. Baltimore St. and it went 90% black within three months. Non-prejudiced white folks who remained behind welcomed the change. Let's face it, it was the jerks and assholes in the white community who had pulled up stakes and fled to the boondocks. Very frightened "colored folk" as the pale-faced neighbors called them, moved into houses a hundred times nicer than they had ever dreamed they could have. Why? The whites who ran off were so anxious to escape imaginary contamination, they were willing to sell at a loss!

These new families were quiet, polite (too polite), and tentative about all their activities. At least that was true for about a couple of years.
    I finally found a friend my own age in my neighborhood who wasn't a violent piece of offal to play with. The previous white kids were my tormentors and bullied me relentlessly. After they moved, I thought I was living in paradise at last!

My new friend lived across the street. He was my first black friend. He was as sweet a person as you could ever meet. I never met his parents or saw any adult family member--that is unless you count his sister, who, for some reason unknown to me, stayed naked all the time and peeked outside from behind the drapes. I'm guessing she was maybe 18, but I don't really know.

My friend said his name was Prince! This seems funny now because of the famous musician who recently died. I thought the name was wonderful at the time. I can't really say with certainty how he spelled his last name. I'd never heard anything like it for reference. It sounded like "E-van-de-lay-um".

During the summer at spring break, Prince and I played every day from sun up till a bit after dark.
    There was a constant stream of cars pulling up to his house which puzzled me and my family. Only men arrived and went inside. A little later, they came out and hurried to their car and drove away in a cloud of dust.

My mom was sort of a busybody. She had a telescope! She kept careful note of the license numbers of all the cars which drove up and the amount of time spent by the strangers during their brief visits. I kept after her, asking why she was interested and why she was documenting things which didn't seem like they could possibly be any of her business. My mother told me she had a friend named Fred Voight who was a Fort Worth Detective and he told her to do it.

I asked why he would tell her that and she changed the subject. My mother was a congenital liar. She'd rather lie than breathe. She mostly did both. It was many, many years afterward she confessed that she had figured there was trafficking in drugs at Prince's house. That seemed to my 14-year-old mind like a wild absurdity and it made me angry at her for meddling.

One fine Saturday morning before noon, I saw my mother and grandmother clucking like chickens at the front window passing the telescope back and forth and I couldn't make out the reason for the hubub.

"What's going on?"

"The police have swarmed all over your friend's house."

That alarmed me more than I could explain. I ran out the front screen door so fast I almost tore it off its hinges. I scurried across the street and zig-zagged between police officers who were startled and shouting at me to get the hell back home.

I couldn't get in the house or find Prince or his sister anywhere. I pleaded with every cop I bumped into, "Please Sir, what happened to the kids who live here?"
    All but one brushed me off rudely. The last cop lifted his blue arm and pointed at one of the squad cars on the side street. I squinted into the morning sun and spotted Prince in the back seat.

The door was locked and the window rolled up tight. Nobody was around to watch, so I tried to open the door from the outside and it was secure. I tapped on the glass but Prince wouldn't look at me. His head was hung low and I thought I could tell he had been crying. I yelled through the glass, "Are you okay? What's happening? Is your sister alright? Where are your parents?" I may as well have saved my breath. I was a ghost as far as Prince was concerned.

Presently, I ran back across the road to my own house and began bombarding my mother for information and I wasn't very courteous about it! In fact, I was rude beyond all reckoning--I knew she was behind what was happening across the street.

My grandmother knew about my mom's hair-trigger temper and she wedged herself between us and pulled me away into the back of the house before the inevitable.

"Settle down, the police will take good care of those kids. Your mom's friend, Fred Voight is handling it. They are running a house of prostitution over there and that poor kid is going to be taken away from that kind of evil exploitation. This is a good thing and not a tragedy--so just let the adults handle it."

I may have been 14, but I was incredibly naive about life at that time. Nobody had even explained the 'birds and the bees' to me yet. (Nor would they ever.) I thought women got pregnant from French kissing! My friend in the Boy Scouts, Mike Mulligan, had explained it to me. So, the idea of prostitution meant nothing whatsoever beyond being something very, very unfavorable and perhaps dastardly in the eyes of Christian folks.

School started back in September of that year and I was informed along with the rest of my Junior High School class, that we (white) students were going to be riding a school bus every morning to a completely different school on the other side of Ft.Worth. Why? It was explained delicately (they lied) about Federal Laws mandating integration. Colored children wanted to go to white schools and the law was on their side.
    Here is how this boondoggle worked. Instead of mixing white kids with black kids in each school, in Texas (or at least Fort Worth) the school board had concocted a scathingly awkward end run around the law. White students from Morningside Jr. High school (very nice previously white neighborhood) would be bussed (one and all) to Dagget Jr. High in a run down, white trash neighborhood. Colored students would be bussed to Morningside--the obviously better end of the swap so nobody would complain at the A.C.L.U. The upshot of this nonsense was simply to achieve total segregation while appearing to integrate!
    Many of my classmates had spread the word that I was a N**ger lover, having seen my friend Prince and me playing together during summer vacation.

I spend hours speaking with my grandmother about it to no avail. Her words were enigmatic and soothing, yet lacking in philosophy or logic I could get a grip around.

So, I sought out my Grandfather (the fellow with the KKK robe nestled loving in a white enamel cabinet in the back shed.

He sat on the couch buffing his nails and answering thoughtfully. He was a dandy if ever there was one. He administered a pedicure and manicure to himself every single night--buffing and polishing until you could see the moon and stars reflected in his fingertips!

"You see, Terry, the Bible teaches we should each only go with our own "kind." White swans together and crows separately. It's not a question of hate--it's God's will."

I couldn't quite grasp any actual content in his statement. I shook my head like I was trying to get water out of my ears.

"Think of it this way, at a party or a picnic, the men naturally want to gather with other men and the womenfolk with other women, and kids go off by themselves."

"Paw-paw, are you saying children and women and men are all different Bible 'kinds' meant only for those select groups?"

He twisted the corner of his lip and raised his eyebrows? "Say what? No, that's not what I said."

"Well, it isn't making sense."

"Okay, look--dogs go with dogs and cats go with cats and neither go with bullfrogs or mockingbirds. Now do you get it? Each with its own kind."

"Black dogs go with white dogs, white cats go with black cats, both go with spotted black and white----" He interrupted with exasperating and wild gestures suddenly!

"No, no, no, you're not listening. You are a smart young man--I don't know why you're fighting me on this. Listen one more time and learn. . . "

He was forming thoughts slowly inside his head. Actually, it looked to me more like he was juggling bad arguments and rehearsing how they sounded before he offered another one. Presently he gave me his last best shot.

"Okay. Let's try this. . . White people--some, not all. . . used to own colored people. It was in the days of slavery. When the coloreds were set free, it was suddenly very embarrassing. The President had sent armies and lots of people had died all because white people wanted slaves for cheap labor. Now, all of a sudden, the very same people they had treated like scum were going to be equals? The fellow you used to hit with a whip is now going to sit next to you in church? No Sir! White people would have to say how sorry they were and how wrong it had been and beg for pardon. You understand? That takes more humility than any Southern man can muster! It takes a really great man of tremendous character to say how wrong and sorry he was. Besides, they weren't sorry--they were humiliated, angry, and their blood was up. Now do you get it?"

The fact that I can still remember his words must mean something. Yes. I understood. That sounded real. It must have some truth to it. White men in the South did NOT have the character and humility to humble themselves before people they belittled, beat, cursed, and denied an education. They couldn't handle BEING SO DEAD WRONG--they decided to hate instead. And when they couldn't get away with the hate any longer, they decided to keep their former victims out of sight, separate, and under their heel as long as possible.

Well, I rode that bus for two years until High School. In the Senior year, one black student finally appeared and entered the totally white school all by herself. Her name was Ruby. By then, every teen welcomed her warmly. She was "token" of course but it was a start. That was 1965. I graduated with one black girl and it was as though the history books were going to turn their pages all by themselves from then on.

I never saw Prince again. Oh how I wondered where he went and what became of him! If I had known how to spell that strange last name of his I might have scrounged a clue. It was not meant to be.

Did he have a decent life free of conflict and filled with beauty and friends, happiness? God, I hope so. Back when I used to pray, I'd mention my old friend in my prayers and ask the Almighty to watch over Prince. In time, even that faded from memory.

People come into your life like a mighty ball of light in your sky and sail through the day brightening everything only to sink low into darkness and vanish from our line of sight. That was what happened to my friend. He went off into the darkness.

.My memories of the Civil Rights era were largely from watching the clash of black and white figures (literally) on my TV screen and reading grotesque newspaper headlines.
    I joined a religious cult and ended up in Federal Prison. Tumultuous times boiled over and the ground under our feet rumbled with change and fear of annihilation.

When I see and read folks today shouting about politics or terrorists and claiming "The End is Near", I have to chuckle. I shake my head in wonderment. I've seen it all before and it was much worse than now. I have a perspective the young cannot know.

Sometimes, late at night, when I can't sleep. . . I'll go inside my head and paint the backdrop on my old neighborhood and decorate the stage with my old house and my grandmother and grandfather and mother (now all gone forever) and then, I see myself walking cross Baltimore street to that little house on the corner. It's Texas summer again and the sparrows and cicadas and the trains next to the Katy railroad take up their song in my ears again and smile as my old friend, Prince runs out of the front door of his house and we scamper off together down to the creek and drop string with bacon on the end into the water and pull up crawdads together. We laugh and talk about all the crazy things kids decorate their lives with and time stands still once more.

If only . . .

If only . . .

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

I always thought it outrageous that the movie 'Birth of a Nation' in 1915 portrayed the Klansmen as heroes and was the highest grossing film until the late 30's . Then one of the major Watchtower articles in the 20's was also named 'Birth of a nation'. Surely the readers back then made the connection.

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

I barely remember when I was about 5 years old, (1952) a Drive-In Theater in Fort Worth advertised a showing of BIRTH of a NATION and the place was jam packed with cars!
    I understood nothing, but the image of a whole field of thundering horses with Klansmen riding toward the camera filled me we dread and awe.
    There was an 18-year-old girl (my babysitter) in the back seat and she let me put my head in her lap to nap. She was so beautiful! She stroked my hair like I was an over-sized Angora pussycat. I vividly recall the feeling of wonderment boiling inside of me. I was convinced I had fallen in love. Imagine that, will you?
    That combination of the KKK and my first love in the same night. All these many years later--it's still there like it's carved in granite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9UPOkIpR0A

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

I grew up just a few miles south of the Mason Dixon line. The KKK had a local chapter and came to town to hand out literature at the single red light. This was in the late '80s. I had no air conditioning in my little Toyota, so to avoid having KKK literature shoved in my window, I rolled them all up. Boy it got really hot in the car at that redlight. It seemed like it would never change!

Then, the JWs came to town preaching their heathen message and selling literature, and the town council finally had had enough. A no soliciting law was put on the books which included the distribution of literature.

The local JWs responded by inviting black brothers and sisters up from Baltimore to go door to door with nothing but a Bible and a verbal invitation to the Kingdom Hall. This of course did not sit well with the local members of the KKK who opposed groups of black folks knocking on all the doors in town.

It was quite a mess with the local elders even attending the town council meetings. They aggravated the situation unnecessarily, in my opinion.

What a small-minded small town. I left as soon as I could and moved to Baltimore. Yeah, they hated city slickers, too. They pretty much hated everybody.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

Great Story Terry. I hope you don't mind but I googled the address you gave and came up with the photos below. The first one (if correct) would be your grandparents house. The photo below that one shows the house across the street (Prince's house).

Your Grandfathers perspective of the KKK was new to me. It seems like you only hear about that group terrorizing black people rather than also handling problems with criminals that the law couldn't touch for whatever reason. Your perspective of "white flight" being a good thing in the eyes of the other whites who remained in their homes and who were glad to see the "haters" leave town, was one you don't hear about. Listening to some folks, you'd almost think at one point practically every white person in the south owned a slave or was a supporter of segregation and bigotry.

• Pete Zahut
  • TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

Wow! those are the exact houses. The one I grew up in used to be surrounded by wonderful trees.

The house Prince lived in looks so tiny now.

It gave me a weird thrill to see them in a phot.

Thanks for that!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit