"She could have just walked out."

by Lost in the fog 11 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Lost in the fog
    Lost in the fog

Can you really imagine that a young teenager in a room full of stern grown-ups is going to say "I've had enough of this and I am walking out."?

I really hope it will go to trial.

Utah high court weighs case of woman who says church made her listen to audio of her rape as a teenager.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/utah-high-court-weighs-case-of-woman-who-says-church-made-her-listen-to-audio-of-her-rape/ar-BB1aQUll

• Biahi
    Biahi

This is extremely abusive, any TRAINED counselor would know how to handle this situation. Unfortunately, that’s what you get when questioned by window washers and plumbers. (No offense to any window washers or plumbers).

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Biahi

Most window washers and plumbers would have more sense.

They should point out that walking out us, for a witness, tantamount to walking out on the Utah court

• Corney
    Corney

Well, her mother and stepfather were also present, but it doesn't change a lot.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Sure.... and we could all have just walked out with zero consequences.

DD

• frozen2018
    frozen2018

I think any minor, as well as adult women, would be able to walk without consequence. They would simply have to say something like, "Given this organization's known history of sexual abuse, I am not comfortable being alone in this room with you men." Elders would be nuts to pursue somebody after that statement. A lawyer like Gloria Allred would have a field day. Sorry, adult males. Your are SOL as usual.

• under the radar
    under the radar

This is an excellent illustration of why untrained and unqualified people should not be allowed to "handle" crimes as if they were mere sins. Sin and crime are not synonymous. Certain acts may be one but not the other, but they can certainly be both just as well.

In this particular case, the elders were clearly not differentiating between the crime of statutory rape and the sin of fornication. The reason they made the girl listen to the tape was to convince her that they knew she was a willing and eager participant, not a victim of forcible rape. They even established that she sneaked out of her house to meet this creep for the purpose of having sex. Thus, she was clearly guilty of the sin of premeditated fornication and of lying about it. The man involved was obviously guilty of the same thing, and bears much more responsibility than the girl because he was an adult.

But legally, there is a big difference between the sin of fornication and the crime of statutory rape. Despite proof of her consent and eager participation, she was legally incapable of granting such consent and therefore having sex with her was a serious crime. These laws are in place for a reason. Our young people are not to be targets of opportunity for those who would seduce them and tempt them into inappropriate and highly illegal and damaging relationships. It has long been established that young people are simply not prepared mentally, emotionally, and in some cases even physically to make such life-changing and consequential decisions. This guy deserves everything he gets for his crime, including a long stint in prison.

My point is the tape establishes that there was a consensual sexual escapade in which the girl was a willing and eager participant. It is not a recording of a forcible rape with the victim screaming for help. The elders were focused on establishing that she was a willing party to the sin. That said, it was still extremely inappropriate and likely traumatic for her to be forced to listen to it in front of others, including her parents. Again, that is why untrained and wholly unqualified people should not be allowed to carry out such investigations or adjudicate the consequences.

Those elders and, by extension, their overlords at Watchtower should be held accountable for their mental and emotional abuse of this young woman. She may suffer from the anguish they caused for years to come.

By not reporting every instance of suspected child abuse or exploitation, Watchtower is implicitly condoning or at least tolerating such behavior. Sometimes they even actively cover it up. This should be a crime in itself, and in many places, it already is. Watchtower could easily solve this apparent dilemma if they announced a policy of dealing with sin internally but reporting all reports or suspicions of crime to the secular authorities to be dealt with according to the law. It would be a win-win.

Personally, I think they've dug their heels in too deep to act even in their own best interests. They deserve all the unfavorable lawsuit judgments and negative publicity they get.

• Nitty-Gritty
    Nitty-Gritty

@under the radar

"Watchtower could easily solve this apparent dilemma if they announced a policy of dealing with sin internally but reporting all reports or suspicions of crime to the secular authorities to be dealt with according to the law".

I think they've already done that.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Nitty-Gritty - "I think they've already done that."

All the internal documentation and correspondence we've seen indicates they're doubling-down on all their policies.

They won't budge on this.

From their perspective, they can't.

• under the radar
    under the radar

Nitty-Gritty: I haven't seen anything that indicates to me they've changed their position on this. They make a big point of saying they report "when required by law," but they do not report otherwise. Even when they do report, they try to do so anonymously. They also say that victims have the absolute right to report their abuse to authorities, but they do not actually encourage them to do so. They merely allow it, but there may still be unofficial consequences for "bring reproach upon Jehovah's name."

Watchtower's child abuse policies have not changed in any meaningful way as far as reporting to authorities is concerned. They now say a victim who is a minor will not have to face their abuser directly, and may have a parent or some other adult present during questioning. But that's about it.

I still say there will be no progress in this area unless and until they separate the sin and the criminal aspects of child abuse and handle them accordingly. The congregation can deal with the sin aspect, but they must let the secular authorities deal with the criminal aspect.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit