Google threatening to pull search engine from Australia

by joey jojo 17 Replies latest social current

• joey jojo
    joey jojo

Government is saying Google should pay fees to news media for aggregating news. Google says they will geo-block Australia from search if forced to.

Raises some interesting questions about how dependant we have all become and how entangled google is in our lives.

There are other search engines which work fine for trivial searches, which is what most of us actually use the search engines for according to Google's own stat's.

This raises the question, should a company have the right to know absolutely everything about you just because you googled a recipe for sweet and sour chicken?

• carla
    carla

Have you tried - https://duckduckgo.com/

• joey jojo
    joey jojo

Yep- its great, no ads and encrypted.

• carla
    carla

I have had it but had difficulties opening certain documents attached in emails. Was it something I was doing wrong do you suppose or a glitch in the browser?

• joey jojo
    joey jojo

I've only used the search feature.

• shepherdless
    shepherdless

For those who haven’t been following the news, Google backed down, and reached an agreement.

However Facebook without warning, today commenced blocking the forwarding of news stories from Australian media sites. But Facebook has made a complete and utter hash of it all, blocking the Facebook pages of a whole heap of government information pages, including health information, emergency weather warnings etc, as well other sites. Aust politicians and other commentators are ripping into Facebook, saying Facebook has put lives at risk, etc.

• vienne
    vienne

Put lives at risk. That seems to be utter nonsense. There are dozens of other search engines. Use one of those.

• hoser
    hoser

Don’t let the door hit your a$$ on the way out google.

• shepherdless
    shepherdless
    Put lives at risk. That seems to be utter nonsense. There are dozens of other search engines. Use one of those.

Yes, that is a bit of political hyperbole. (Btw, we are talking about Facebook, not Google or any other search engine.)

Perhaps I had better explain for the international audience. In Aust, most state and federal govt departments have webpages to provide info, but also make the same info available on dedicated Facebook pages. We often have bushfires, floods, cyclones etc, and (particularly in relation to bushfires), information needs to be communicated broadly, and very quickly, including where needs to be evacuated, to where, etc. Last summer, while loss of life was pretty low, given the massive nature of bushfires, some deaths were attributed to people getting inconsistent and out of date info. (Info even an hour out of date can be dangerous.) Facebook today blocked the reference to some of the key sites, including the Bureau of Meteorology. Facebook today also blocked all the major Aust news sites. This was all without warning. There is some logic to Facebook blocking Aust news sites, because there will soon be legislation requiring Facebook to pay for Aust news it distributes. There was no logic to blocking various state and federal govt information sites; there was no obligation to pay anything for these.

Of course, Facebook is not essential for the communication of any of this info. It is available directly from the relevant websites.

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out. I can’t see Facebook backing down, and there is absolutely zero chance of Aust Govt backing down, now.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Online platforms should be held in common ownership, democratically run, and financial dividends distributed to all users, rather than digital rent seekers who arrive at policy on the basis of whims and personal enrichment.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit