Should JW's hold government jobs ???

by run dont walk 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• run dont walk
    run dont walk

I finally made it onto the new board, took awhile but I'm back,

Interesting question came up, if JW's do not support any government, do not honor government beliefs, do not stand for the flag, do not celebrate countries holidays, Should a JW have a government job, regardless of what it is ???

Isn't working for them, still supporting them in a small way ???

If they do not believe and support the government, why would they work for them ??? except for the big pay cheques of course !!!!!!!!!!!

any thoughts ???????

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Working for the government requires respect for its authority; it doesn't require patriotism.

I don't see why the a dub shouldn't have a government job.

What I do believe is hypocritical, however, is the prohibition that forbids dubs from having a job that requires that they carry a firearm. If they can have other civilian jobs, why can't they work for the police, or be a security guard?

• blondie
    blondie

Just explaining, Blondie.

The WTS reasons this way:

Nehemiah worked for the government.

Mordecai worked for the government.

Daniel, Meshach, Abednego, and Shadrach worked for the government.

Joseph worked for the government.

The Ethiopian eunuch worked for the government.

But the WTS qualifies it by saying that politics must not be part of government employment (as well as not being connected with the military). Thus a JW would not work for the Department of Defense or the State Department but could work for HUD or the Department of Agriculture.

w90

11/1 pp. 20-21

But since they are separate from the world, they do not join political parties, seek political office, or accept policy-making positions in political organizations.

• smack
    smack

When I started my gumbermint job in '81 I was still in, fading fast tho. I had to swear allegiance to the Queen. (Australia) I had no real problem with that. I think it's usually dubs that don't have a gumbymint job that tell you you shouldn't work for them. I don't think they

should take the good jobs away from people that would appreciate it more

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

I've heard that line of reasoning, Blondie. I always though it was remarkable, considering that all those men mentioned held political offices. :) (WIth the exception of Joseph. You have me there... when did he work for the government?)

I can accept the argument that the political neutrality was a new requirement placed on Christians. (Not necessarily entirely agree, but I do think it's a fair and logical distinction.) But if the WTS wishes to argue that, then they cannot, in turn, use Old Testament examples to justify government service.

• blondie
    blondie

Euph,

Joseph was appointed by Pharaoh to administer to the food supplies after he predicted the 7 years of plenty and the 7 years of famine. Joseph was second only to the Pharaoh.

Insight Book Volume 2

p. 108 Joseph

Made

Second Ruler of Egypt. Pharaoh recognized in 30-year-old Joseph the man wise enough to administer affairs during the time of plenty and the time of famine. Joseph was therefore constituted second ruler in Egypt, Pharaoh giving Joseph his own signet ring, fine linen garments, and a necklace of gold. (Ge 41:37-44, 46; compare Ps 105:17, 20-22.) This manner of investiture is attested by Egyptian inscriptions and murals. It is also of interest that from ancient Egyptian records it is known that several Canaanites were given high positions in Egypt and that Joseph’s change in name to Zaphenath-paneah is not without parallel. Joseph was also given Asenath the daughter of Potiphera (from Egyptian, meaning "He Whom Ra Has Given") the priest of On as a wife.—Ge 41:45
  • blondie
    blondie
    I can accept the argument that the political neutrality was a new requirement placed on Christians. (Not necessarily entirely agree, but I do think it's a fair and logical distinction.) But if the WTS wishes to argue that, then they cannot, in turn, use Old Testament examples to justify government service.

I have always wondered if this wasn't talking out of both sides of their mouth too.

I think that they mean jobs where an oath does not have to be taken are acceptable. The government jobs where I live do not require that unless you are elected or appointed.

A related point about using OT examples, how many people realize that Esther was groomed by Mordecai to marry Ahaseresus (sp?) thus endorsing marriage to someone "not in the Lord"?

B

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Ha! Good point, Blondie!

Also:

Joseph was appointed by Pharaoh to administer to the food supplies after he predicted the 7 years of plenty and the 7 years of famine
    This is where I proceed to vigorously kick myself for trying to figure out when Joseph, the husband of Mary, was involved in government service.
  • Latin assassin from Manhattan
    Latin assassin from Manhattan

I think that JWs should not be allowed to hold government jobs of any kind. They conveniently twist the scriptures in their favor but they don't realize that Daniel and Joseph held high positions in their government. These were men with positions that can easily be likened to U.S. presidential cabinet positions - these positions clearly support the political and military policies of the government.

It's not possible for a J-Dub to work at the U.S. Post office or even for the Internal Revenue Service without supporting Democracy and the military. After all, both of these protect the freedom of such agencies - not God (according to J-Dubs right?).

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

I am definitely opposed to all forms of man-made/organized religion. But, to be fair, aren't there already hundreds of religious fundamentalists employed by us serving in the federal government. As a former technology manager for the judicial branch/US Courts, I can tell that a growing number of federal judges, magistrates, attorneys are active jews and many are zionists. The religious right and their zionist cabals are running this administration, so what additional harm are JW's going to cause? Do not give the JW's so much credit, attention and import. The majority are gullable, uneducated and few have true ambition to succeed. Unlike traditional secular fundamentalists from mainstream religions, JW's are not pre-disposed to "corporate climbing" and "lobbying/politicking". They prefer to exercise their microscopic ambitions in the "hall" with the elders & overseers to win group approval and petty responsibilities. They are barely on the map when it comes to being a government threat. They are more like fleas than ants.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit