Critical times, hard to deal with!

by The Fall Guy 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

I reckoned that a comment by Muddy Waters in his latest post deserved a separate consideration - especially for active/fading J.W.'s.

He said that one of the J.W.'s who called on him, parroted out the org's message of doom from 2 Timothy 3:1-5 to remind him how bad the world is and that it showed that we are living in the last days.

A former elder/P.O. once told me that he hated it every time the WTBTS falsely applied these verses to the 20-21st century. He insisted that the apostle Paul was referring to Christians living in the 1st century - something which is acknowledged in part by the org in the Insight book. Of course they "by extension" stretch it to have it both ways - as is their usual way with interpretation of scriptures..

it-2 pp. 206-207 - Last Days

"The words “last days” or comparable expressions are sometimes used in connection with the apostasy that was to be experienced within the Christian congregation......Next Paul contrasted such corrupt persons with Timothy, who had closely followed the apostle’s teaching,.... Thus from the context it is clear that the apostle was informing Timothy well in advance about future developments among professed Christians and describing what fruitage such apostasy would finally yield. Similarly, the apostle Peter provided advance knowledge to fellow Christians about pressures from within the congregation: “There will also be false teachers among you"..... (2Pe 2:1, 2) This same warning is echoed in Jude’s words.......Furthermore, the illustration suggested that the apostasy would bear its full fruitage of wickedness during “the conclusion of the [Jewish] system of things” under Satan’s control. Reasonably, therefore, at that time [1st century] the conditions described by the writers of the Christian Greek Scriptures as marking “the last days” would be in evidence on a large scale among professed Christians." (not the "world" in general)

According to scripture, the judgement starts first with the house of God (1 Peter 4:17) and not Babylon the great, as the org dictates.

• Muddy Waters
    Muddy Waters

Wow, that is very interesting, Fall Guy! Never ever heard that scripture applied THAT WAY, even though explained in the Insight book.

And, ha, despite user name, am female! Sorry for confusion. 🙃

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

So are you saying there is going to be a judgement by 'Jehovah' of the org, the house of God? Don't want to misunderstand you.

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

Sorry Muddy - my bad!

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

That's a shame I did hope you would answer my question so I could be sure of your meaning. What I wanted to add is that without meaning to sound patronising I've been through this stage after leaving the WTS. My husband and I believed it had once been the true religion and had become corrupt. We too took the Bible prophesies to mean Jehovah would judge his own people first.

We spent about two years on that idea, I just want to say it was a waste of time, of life. It would have been better to do what we did after that, studied history and science. Decided the Bible was just another book, the JWs were just another religion and started to understand how we evolved on earth.

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

Xanthipipe - I'm expressing what the scriptures say. The corruption of the Christian congregation - not the world -was anticipated and described, as well as the outcome.

Hence the reason for Peter's words regarding the house of God being judged first. The "house of God" clearly indicates all those who claim to be Christian. (if it only means J.W. Christians, then their org is in big trouble!) Cross-reference 1 Peter 4:17 with 2 Thessalonians 2:4 - "He stands in opposition and exalts himself above every so-called god or object of worship, so that he sits down in the temple of God, publicly showing himself to be a god" as well as Revelation chapters 2 & 3. Verse 22 of chapter 2 reveals that Christ will inflict a great tribulation on those corrupting the Christian congregation - the exact same tribulation which is referred to in context soon after at Revelation 7:14. (the G.B.'s foretold G.T. is debunked)

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

So there's going to be a judgement day for all claiming to be Christian?

• Muddy Waters
    Muddy Waters

No worries, Fall Guy! In retrospect I probably shouldn't have selected a name of a *male* blues singer! lol

At the time I began posting, the "clear waters of truth" were no longer so crystal and pure...

Anyway, I appreciate your research and comments as to those "critical times hard to deal with.." -- another big new thought for me about something I thought I'd previously understood....!

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Great post!

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

Xanthipipe - I think that's what the aforementioned scriptures are saying.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit