Iraqi Human Shields Fined $10K By Treasury Dept.

by Valis 10 Replies latest social current

• Valis
    Valis

I just heard on the news that 5 or 6 of the 300 human shields that went to Iraq to protest the war are being fined ten thousand dollars by the Treasury Department for violating the embargoes and restrictions/sanctions placed on Iraq. What a load of crap!

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I heard about this too... I'm amazed that the media is not jumping all over this. It's just Mr. Bush's way of setting an "example" of what happens to those who cross him.

Maybe he needs to be recommended to the CO for appointment as an elder.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Quite a few of those 'human shields' were cia or other govt agents. They were gathering intelligence and/or placing targeting devices. I guess they will be getting paid instead of fined.

SS

• avishai
    avishai

I don't think they sohould have been allowed back in the US, that was sedition, plain & simple. They got off light.

• rem
    rem

Why shouldn't they pay? It's not like these are new laws on the books. If you believe in something and you are willing to suffer the consequences of your actions, then that is admirable, but the consequences don't just go away.

rem

• Simon
    Simon

You don't think it's just a tad petty and spiteful?

I think it's despicable. What about holding those to account who actually exported arms to the evil dictator?

• rem
    rem

Whatever. These people knew there was an embargo. They went anyway. They knew the consequences and they were willing to pay them. Enforcing laws is not 'spiteful'.

What about holding those to account who actually exported arms to the evil dictator?

You mean France and the Russia?

rem

• Valis
    Valis

Coming from the country that claims its 1st Amendment upholds the right to free speech I would say it is quite hateful. There is no need for our government to pursue these people. BTW, being a traitor is not having a different opinion about the way your country should be acting, while being willing to put one's self in deliberate harm to get your point across. Look at what happened at Berkely in the 60's, not to mention people who died for the civil right's movement long before that. Also, they were not an impediment to millitary action. They didn't get in the way or give away secrets to the iraqis...the video I saw was innocuous...more like meeting with the people of Iraq to let them know not all of us wanted to kill them per se....nothing wrong with that IMO. The people who went are not terrorists, but just people who felt strongly. I wonder if the government has sent bills to European companies who violated similar sanctions all the while. I really doubt it.

Sincerely,

Distrcit Overbeer

• rem
    rem

Valis,

This has nothing to do with them being human shields. They travelled to the country illegally during an embargo. That is an offence that is punishable via fine during times of war and peace. They are just enforcing the law, as far as I can see it. This should not be a surprise to those who went over there. They knew this was coming.

I wonder if the government has sent bills to European companies who violated similar sanctions all the while. I really doubt it.

How can a European company break an American law like this? It has nothing to do with America, except in matters of foreign trade negotiations. We have embargos for reasons... some good, and some ridiculous. The fact is that if you break an embargo, you will pay the consequences if you get caught. It doesn't matter how honorable your intentions were.

rem

• sf
    sf
    If you believe in something and you are willing to suffer the consequences of your actions, then that is admirable, but the consequences don't just go away.

This relates to all the 'soldiers' who WILLINGLY went to war as well.

These people knew there was an embargo. They went anyway. They knew the consequences and they were willing to pay them.

Again, same can be said for the 'soldiers of war'.

May they rest in peace from the choices they made.

sKally

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit