My Story - Part 2

by Lee Elder 11 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Lee Elder
    Lee Elder

This is the first of a multi-part article that tells my story, and how AJWRB got started.

https://www.openmindsfoundation.org/saving-thousand-lives-year-reform-watchtowers-policy-blood-transfusions-part-two/

• jp1692
    jp1692

THIS:

Today in 2017, the disheartening truth is that, despite the progress that has been made, there are still an estimated 1,200 or more Jehovah’s Witnesses dying annually because of the current blood policy. The vast majority of these deaths are not considered newsworthy and hence slip under the radar. For the sake of comparison, the annual death toll of Witnesses who refuse life-saving blood is greater than the Jonestown massacre on November 18, 1978 in Guyana that claimed 918 lives. ... In the time since the the Watchtower finally permitted all blood fractions in 2000, it is likely that there have been 20,000 additional victims – more than 22 Jonestown Massacres.

What a powerful comparison: When 918 people die all at once because of their cultish-beliefs it's newsworthy. When it happens one-by-one, the general public just don't see the import or the need to intervene.

• jp1692
    jp1692

Lee Elder: The Watchtower is not a safe place to be.

Although I completely agree with your sentiment, I think you err in referring to the Jehovah's Witness religion as "the Watchtower."

The general public would be confused by this usage. Please consider revising it. Thank you for all of your hard work and your commitment to this extremely important cause!

jp

• Lee Elder
    Lee Elder

Good point. I still use too much JW jargon. Just burned into my brain.

• jp1692
    jp1692

Understood!

Been there, done that. I even have a Sparlock t-shirt!

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

Thoroughly enjoyed part one and part 2. I've had the utmost respect for you and the JWRB clan for a long time.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

It's a great article. (Though I agree with JP about use of the term "Watchtower" when referring to JW HQ Officials). I'd love to see it picked up by AP and make some major US news media sources.

Good luck!

Doc

• Londo111
    Londo111

I do think it's important to differentiate the leadership (Watchtower) and the average JW, who are victims.

• shadow
    shadow

Seems to me that this is the story of jw policy rather than your own. Would have liked to see more of your personal story/experience

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Great article. Just one question - can you explain where the estimate of 1200 deaths per year comes from? In the context of 8,000,000 Witnesses it's not a huge number but one that I would be interested to know how you reach.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit