Pyramid Schemes

by schnell 33 Replies latest jw experiences

• kairos
    kairos

The more I think back, the more I remember JWs engaging in dishonest business practices left and right.

Their hypocrisy is one of the biggest issues that contributed to my awakening.
    My 25 years in Napa with JWs was 25 years of observing MANY elders break the law and pretend nobody saw.

• Introvert 2
    Introvert 2

The wife of one of my guy's at the shop got involved with Primerica. Another one where recruitment trumps the product. The guy that was coaching her even came to the shop here to talk to her then husband ( divorced now ).

Another one IU have first hand experience with is Isagenix superfood products. I admit to using the vitamins and shakes as a supplement. They do work as well as any other competing brands I suppose, better than any GNC product I tried. However their marketing speil is for the birds, I saw through it right away and ran. I just order through a friend or pick-up at a weight loss clinic. My friend still has his easy city job however, I doubt he could live off the product sales alone.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I have this idea for selling actual pyramids through FaceBook. I think you have what it takes to be a major partner in my business. Let me know if you're interested, OK?

This is going to be BIG, trust me.

PS - I am not a crook.

• Spiral
    Spiral

Oh, over the years I can remember so many witnesses involved in so many "be your own boss" schemes, from vitamins, meleleuca, cooking utensils, makeup, jewelry, cleaning products, you name it.

I think most just needed to make more money and were naive. Sad, because more money was spent than earned.

Poverty is not fun, spiritual, or "keeping it simple". Having to deal with $$$ shortage every month is hardly a simple carefree life!

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

My memories of the Witnesses include dealings with some who were involved with these multilevel marketing and I may have bought vitamins or a water filter years ago. It wasn't necessarily unpleasant because I was purchasing products and would NEVER have gotten involved with selling anything.

Now that I'm out, I don't want to buy anything from JWs and glad I don't need to.

Back in the day it became a dirty word to talk about these things at the hall. On a related topic, Witnesses were always caught up in health fads. I remember when "high colonics" was in style. I could never bring myself to have this done.

• OneGenTwoGroups
    OneGenTwoGroups

Always fun to hear a pro MLMer sound off on one of these threads.

ACN

Just got hit up to buy electricity from an ACN MLMer two weeks ago. Her sales strategy was the classic dishonest MLMer style. She asked to see one of my bills, said she could save me money, she gave me a quote. It was for a three year contract with a $350.00 early termination fee. I was "month to month" with my provider at the time. I looked on my provider's website and signed up for a one year contract that was 20 percent cheaper than what she offered. Did she lie? No. Was she being selfishly dishonest knowing full well that she wasn't comparing oranges to oranges? Hell yes.

MLM products and services, an uneducated consumer is their best customer.

But mostly I do hate the culty culture and tactics that perhaps all MLMs use in recruiting victims. "It looks like a church because we are dealing with groups of people." LOL and ROFL Someone needs some better apologetics for their business cult.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

Once again pyramid schemes are ALL fraudulent. in the USA the FTC shuts them down.

A mlm model is not a pyramid scheme. Do pyramid schemes use the mlm model? Most of the time.

In the us if the company does legal business the government has already analyzed the plan and allowed it. even the banks have to analyze the plan before the process the transactions.

Still there are many companies that are fraudulent. but not all MLMS are pyramid schemes.

The failure of the distributor or the company doesn't make a failure for the industry.

If your mind is set. no amount of logic will change it.

I can only talk from my own experience and my experience is great. I was broke 6 years ago. I wouldn't go back to the regular biz model again. having your own biz from home is better for me.

• schnell
    schnell

@cyberjesus, if you can make it selling the product, you still have to warn against recruiting people who probably won't be so fortunate .

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

" I remember when "high colonics" was in style. I could never bring myself to have this done."

you mean--someone shoves a hosepipe up your jacksie ?

• schnell

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit