A Troubling Culture: JW Group Think vs. Individual Critical Thinking

by MicaSmith 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• MicaSmith
    MicaSmith

Greetings:

I had no idea that the resistance, governance, and duplicity I am experiencing as a Jehovah Witness is actually part of a bigger behavioral issue that permeates the entire Jehovah Witness culture.

I was troubled by the fact that many persons who have been crushed by the unfair practices of JW leadership described themselves as former members of the JW cult, and, or, apostates. The latter bothered me to a greater degree because I felt the word apostate has been overused by JW's leadership and members. Anyone who disagrees with anything the governing body does or says is assigned the label an apostate. I was concerned that persons who have been already treated unfairly were accepting that label.

In terms of individuals who referred to the organization as a cult, I felt I needed more information to understand why they felt the term applied to the JW religion. The next step for me was to find a credible resource on cults and cult behavior. My first stop was the Federal Bureau of investigations, I figured if anyone would have a good, impartial, resource on cults it would be them.

I found an article in the FBI's Bulletin, September, 2001: Interacting with “Cults”A Policing Model, page 17. The entire issue can be downloaded here: https://leb.fbi.gov/2000-pdfs/leb-september-2000

Below I will highlight some of the key features that were helpful:

In sociological terms, a "cult" may be defined as a movement that is foreign to the culture in which it lives.(2) Thus, Americans would define a "cult" as a group, generally with a religious foundation, whose beliefs and practices are unfamiliar to the majority of U.S. citizens.

Defining a group as a "cult" generally has much more to do with the way society perceives the group than it does with the characteristics indigenous to the group itself.

Most scholars of religion avoid the word "cult" altogether because it carries with it a set of negative connotations: "cult" leaders are con artists; "cult" followers are brainwashed sheep; "cult" beliefs are bizarre or ludicrous; and "cult" movements are dangerous, tending toward suicide or violence.(4) These scholars instead refer to cults as "new religious movements" or "NRMs" because the majority of "cults" are young religious movements still in their first generations.

Brainwashing stands as the most common allegation leveled against NRMs. Even the existence of brainwashing, however, is debated fiercely among behavioral scientists.(9) Clearly, in cases where movements physically coerce inductees (e.g., depriving members of food or preventing them from freely leaving), definite grounds exist for law enforcement concern. In the majority of instances, though, NRMs try to attract members through the same methods used by missionaries in mainstream churches or secular movements. NRM members may approach strangers or distribute pamphlets in the hope of enticing the uninitiated to attend a series of classes or lectures about the group's belief system.

Having gained a good understanding of the definition of a cult from reading the entire article. I focused on cult behaviors Tips and/or Red Flags. The Cult Education Institute's website offered useful information:

Ten warning signs of a potentially unsafe http://culteducation.com/warningsigns.html

1. Absolute authoritarianism without meaningful accountability.

2. No tolerance for questions or critical inquiry.

3. No meaningful financial disclosure regarding budget, expenses such as an independently audited financial statement.

4. Unreasonable fear about the outside world, such as impending catastrophe, evil conspiracies and persecutions.

5. There is no legitimate reason to leave, former followers are always wrong in leaving, negative or even evil.

6. Former members often relate the same stories of abuse and reflect a similar pattern of grievances.

7. There are records, books, news articles, or television programs that document the abuses of the group/leader.

8. Followers feel they can never be "good enough".

9. The group/leader is always right.

10. The group/leader is the exclusive means of knowing "truth" or receiving validation, no other process of discovery is really acceptable or credible.

Ten warning signs regarding people involved in/with a potentially unsafe group/leader. http://culteducation.com/warningsigns.html

1. Extreme obsessiveness regarding the group/leader resulting in the exclusion of almost every practical consideration.

2. Individual identity, the group, the leader and/or God as distinct and separate categories of existence become increasingly blurred. Instead, in the follower's mind these identities become substantially and increasingly fused--as that person's involvement with the group/leader continues and deepens.

3. Whenever the group/leader is criticized or questioned it is characterized as "persecution".

4. Uncharacteristically stilted and seemingly programmed conversation and mannerisms, cloning of the group/leader in personal behavior.

5. Dependency upon the group/leader for problem solving, solutions, and definitions without meaningful reflective thought. A seeming inability to think independently or analyze situations without group/leader involvement.

6. Hyperactivity centered on the group/leader agenda, which seems to supercede any personal goals or individual interests.

7. A dramatic loss of spontaneity and sense of humor.

8. Increasing isolation from family and old friends unless they demonstrate an interest in the group/leader.

9. Anything the group/leader does can be justified no matter how harsh or harmful.

10. Former followers are at best-considered negative or worse evil and under bad influences. They can not be trusted and personal contact is avoided.

Ten signs of a safe group/leader. http://culteducation.com/warningsigns.html

1. A safe group/leader will answer your questions without becoming judgmental and punitive.

2. A safe group/leader will disclose information such as finances and often offer an independently audited financial statement regarding budget and expenses. Safe groups and leaders will tell you more than you want to know.

3. A safe group/leader is often democratic, sharing decision making and encouraging accountability and oversight.

4. A safe group/leader may have disgruntled former followers, but will not vilify, excommunicate and forbid others from associating with them.

5. A safe group/leader will not have a paper trail of overwhelmingly negative records, books, articles and statements about them.

6. A safe group/leader will encourage family communication, community interaction and existing friendships and not feel threatened.

7. A safe group/leader will recognize reasonable boundaries and limitations when dealing with others.

8. A safe group/leader will encourage critical thinking, individual autonomy and feelings of self-esteem.

9. A safe group/leader will admit failings and mistakes and accept constructive criticism and advice.

10. A safe group/leader will not be the only source of knowledge and learning excluding everyone else, but value dialogue and the free exchange of ideas

Lastly, I found an extensive compendium on news stories and other content on Jehovah Witness on the Cult Education Institute at this link: http://www.culteducation.com/group/1267-jehovah-s-witnesses.html

It includes the following:

1. Historical background

2. Personal Stories

3. Jehovah Witnesses And The Law

4.Sexual Abuse 5. Witnesses And Blood

6. Jehovah Witnesses And Holdings

Thank you for the opportunity to contribute this post.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

I am a proud apostate as the WT defines an apostate, but I actually prefer the term "awake" because for me, it means I am now conscious as in I am aware of my choices and that I am responsible for them.

For a cult's lies to be effective it takes two things the lies themselves and the person to believe and act on the lies.

I have chosen not to be the second part of that equation anymore.

• kairos
    kairos

Isn't it funny that once awake, the 'Awake!' magazine title becomes an ironic joke.

Truth in plain site.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Wow, Mica...I have to applaud you.

I have read your other posts, and for someone who has gone through the hell you have, and for being "out" (sort of...) for only a year, you really have your shit together.

Well done, my girl!!! Very very well done.

Could you share what you have done on your path to recovery? It seems so miraculous that it must be worth sharing!

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast
    This is a great piece of work. I will save this for my ever increasing set of un-loseable posts for posterity.
  • Robo Bobo
    Robo Bobo
    Anyone who disagrees with anything the governing body does or says is assigned the label an apostate.

I asked my friend the other day how it is to still be a witness...

she said she can't complain!

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Very good list!

Thanks for sharing!

• talesin
    talesin

Great OP. : )

and LMAO @ Robo Bobo ahahaha!

• MicaSmith
    MicaSmith

Hello this post features individual responses:

First I want to say that I am sending Simon a message shortly because the links in my post are linking back to this website instead of linking to the intended sites. I going to ask him to please assist me with that error because it is the first of my posts to encounter this problem.

Hi Sparrowdown:

I respect your point of view. I especially like that you view your decision as your free will, your awakening, your consciousness, you choices, your responsibility. It's a beautiful state of mind because everything begins and ends with our accountability. When our individuality is taken away we are no longer piloting our journey.

I do not like/subscribe to the term "apostate" because in the witness community it is used as a weapon to silence critical thinking, rather than a statement about a person's decision to relinquish a religious or political, belief of principal.

For example, If you are a loving mother or father and your child was molested/violated/betrayed by the spiritual brother who sat next to you, prayed with you, ate with you, and gained your trust knowing he had violated your child, are you ever going to view your environment the same?

If you speak out and inform other parents whose children are at risk, even after the elders warn you not to, and even after they have officially informed you that you are going against the standards outlined by the "faithful and discreet slave" is that apostasy?

Fellow Jehovah witnesses are labeling grieving parents and their victimized children because the parents are not in group-think mode, they are using the thinking ability Jehovah gave them.

Here is my personal principle: God gave me free will and anything, person, or community that tries to censor my free will is challenging his gift to me and my right to have it. Resistance is not futile; individuality is a necessity.

In "witness speak" that's apostate behavior because you are going against a principle outlined by persons who have declared themselves God's representatives but are neither faithful or discreet in their handling of victims. Instead, they are faithful and discreet in their handling of predators and bad people who smile in your face while they implement your agony.

In summary: They cannot ignore God's standards and at the sametime declare themselves his representatives, that's hypocrisy.

Hi Karios:

You wrote: "Isn't it funny that once awake, the 'Awake!' magazine title becomes an ironic joke.

Truth in plain site."

It's amazing how you captured that in once sentence.

You are correct. Have you ever noticed that companies with defective products do the samething? Their commercials offer the very thing they are known for not doing.

Fellow witnesses do not want to read anything other than JW's magazines. And so the literature serves its purpose. I never did that. I read what I wanted to read. To be honest, Karios, I never fit into the witness mentality. It is suffocating. I love learning about Jehovah. I love him so much that I have tried to be tolerant. To sit across from someone who only wants to talk about the magazines, field service, or a talk, is excruciating. I love helping people, I reached out to women in need. I did things to help them. I wanted to talk about ways to help people, and I could not find one person in the Kingdom Hall who wanted to do that even though that's what Jesus did, he preached and he helped persons in distress. It wasn't that some didn't think it was worthy and "sweet", it is that it just wasn't "normal" for witnesses, so it had to be described as "sweet". And it wasn't something you did for "worldly" people. And it was not "in harmony with what the "faithful and discreet slave" instructed us to do. This is further proof that most witnesses are not awake.

Hi OrphanCrow:

I would summize it this way: It is the value of one's experiences not the quantity.

I try to use my experiences to help me stand up and push forward. It's not easy because in addition to my neurological and somatic challenges, I also have chronic PTSD. But that too has helped me expand my compassion for others.

I guess on good days, I look for what the challenge has given me rather than what it is taking away. And to achieve that I am constantly trying to expand my good days.

It's very difficulty. But I am an avid doer and reader so I look for ways to stand, and I implement them. But I want you to know that nothing I have done is more exciting or empowering than when I am able to assist another person. It gives me great joy. This forum has given me so much and in doing so it has provided an opportunity for me to give back. This makes me very happy. Thank you so much for your kind words.

Hi Slidin Fast:

Thank you. My goal was to have a deeper understanding and share what I learned. I am really happy that it is useful and empowering to you!!! So, as it turns out, we both had a positive neurobiological experience. LOL. This is a wonderful, caring community, and I am thrilled to have a slice of that comfort. Thank you for allowing me to share. And, thank you so much for your encouragement.

Hi Robo bobo:

Love your name!!!

You wrote: "I asked my friend the other day how it is to still be a witness...she said she can't complain!"

I laughed so hard when I read this. You are so funny!!!

That supports #2. No tolerance for questions or critical inquiry.

Please don't deprive me of seeing your name again here. I love it.

Hi stuckinarut2:

Thank you for visiting. I am a brand new, just four days here. I am happy the post was useful to you. Cheers.

Hi Talesin:

So happy you visited and thank you for your comment. I am really glad it was helpful to you. Thank you much. Cheers.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

kairos - "Isn't it funny that once awake, the 'Awake!' magazine title becomes an ironic joke?"

Damn, I wish I'd thought of that one...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit